The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Vs. Kings - Social life??

Hi! I'm currently at Kent but find it mind numbingly boring. I know they say your uni lifes what you make of it but theres very little you can make of kent. So i want to drop out and apply for a London based uni for next year. I need the same grades to do my course at Queen Mary and Kings, So i'm basing my desicion mainly on the social life. I love the fact that Queen Mary is campus based, but do people go into central London a lot for nights out? Are people who choose to live on campus as exciting as those who don't? Since Kent was such a let down social wise i really want to go somewhere exciting and, you know, wild how you imagine uni to be next year! Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I think King's would have a better social life and night life it being in the centre of London and right by the LSE, Imperial and UCL opens up a good opportunity to get to know everyone. Where QM is sort of secluded(no offence to people who actually go there) If you could get in to King's go for it.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Is kent really that bad? :/
Original post by tillytots
Is kent really that bad? :/

Yes. :wink2:
Reply 4
They're both in London, so the night life would be exactly the same right?
Reply 5
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Yes. :wink2:

Everything is dull compared to the holy grail of aberdeen :sexface: :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Haha i dont want to put anyone off Kent! Its only bad if you want those big exciting, meet new people end up doing something crazy nights out.
Yeah but whats kings accomadation like?
Reply 7
Original post by Casshern1456
I think King's would have a better social life and night life it being in the centre of London and right by the LSE, Imperial and UCL opens up a good opportunity to get to know everyone. Where QM is sort of secluded(no offence to people who actually go there) If you could get in to King's go for it.

What is that based on?

QM this year has been a little odd, it tends to be if you want to go out all the time you will find the people to do so. one flatmate is out 5/6 times a week no joke. A lot of people go into central, the tube to get in and the night bus to get back. The area itself feels slightly out of the way in some respects but you are 10 minutes away. Also KCL, on the whole, is more academic and that tends to mean that there are a lot more socially inept people who won't go out. The one thing at QM is there is a high number of internationals (probably similar to KCL) and a large number of them don't go out ; however, over all I can't see QM being any less socialable than KCL. Infact I would be surprised if it wasn't more so.
Original post by *Charlie__A*
Hi! I'm currently at Kent but find it mind numbingly boring. I know they say your uni lifes what you make of it but theres very little you can make of kent. So i want to drop out and apply for a London based uni for next year. I need the same grades to do my course at Queen Mary and Kings, So i'm basing my desicion mainly on the social life. I love the fact that Queen Mary is campus based, but do people go into central London a lot for nights out? Are people who choose to live on campus as exciting as those who don't? Since Kent was such a let down social wise i really want to go somewhere exciting and, you know, wild how you imagine uni to be next year! Thanks!

I'm at King's and sometimes wish i'd gone to queen mary cos it seems to have a much better social life! Because it's campus based, everyone's in the same place meaning it's easier to meet up with people, come back from a night out with different people etc
Plus, their library's so much nicer now! :smile:
Original post by tillytots
Everything is dull compared to the holy grail of aberdeen :sexface: :rolleyes:

Well I actually went to a Kent open day, and the campus just sucked the life out of me.

You really should visit universities before applying to them (or in your case, firming/insuring them). I'd never been to Aberdeen before the start of term, so I didn't really know what to expect. Fortunately, I got lucky. But not everyone can be as lucky as I am.

calannra
They're both in London, so the night life would be exactly the same right?

Well Queen Mary is a campus university in East London, and King's is a city university in a more centralish location. Thus is encourages students to be part of the London nightlife more than Queen Mary's self sustaining campus might.
Original post by Casshern1456

However you define 'secluded', that's still a retarded statement.

OP; I can't imagine there being much difference between either. I never see many KCL people at ULU anyway, it's usually SOAS and UCL people (as they're right in Bloomsbury). Between KCL and QMUL, I can't imagine there being a notable difference.

And yes, QMUL is outside of 'central' London, by which we mean it's 15 mins away from Oxford street on the Central line. :rolleyes:
ON friday i went to a queen mary campus party calleld drapers? IT was MAAAD they party hard!!
It doen't matter that it's a campus uni people always go out to central for a good timeas well. And in London there always so many student nights and clubs there too much to do. so regardless of the uni whether it be Kings or QM you will deffo have a good time. It's all about London son
Reply 12
Well I actually went to a Kent open day, and the campus just sucked the life out of me.

You really should visit universities before applying to them (or in your case, firming/insuring them). I'd never been to Aberdeen before the start of term, so I didn't really know what to expect. Fortunately, I got lucky. But not everyone can be as lucky as I am.

Well Queen Mary is a campus university in East London, and King's is a city university in a more centralish location. Thus is encourages students to be part of the London nightlife more than Queen Mary's self sustaining campus might.

I did have a little think about this after I posted.... I would probs say Kings then ....
Reply 13
It would be pretty much the same - students from both probably go to similar places but only difference is some might decide to walk there and those from QM might have to catch a tube (although this isn't definite because those from KCL who live further away would probably have to catch a tube anyway, but I can only speak for those at Waterloo)

But QM is a campus uni, right? SO they probably have more events - though Tutu's does have a fair bit I'd assume there's more to do on campus at QM than there is at KCL.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Kiss.Me.Quick
I'm at King's and sometimes wish i'd gone to queen mary cos it seems to have a much better social life! Because it's campus based, everyone's in the same place meaning it's easier to meet up with people, come back from a night out with different people etc
Plus, their library's so much nicer now! :smile:

The ground floor of the library is amazing :smile:
People go out in central?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah QM is better because it's closer to the places that are actually good to go out in London. Who the **** goes out in central anyway?
Reply 16

You really don't know the first thing about QMUL, why do you keep posting in here? Yes it's true that QMUL is a campus university and you will spend more time on campus vis Kings in the 1st year. However it's only the first year.

After that you're living off campus and Drapers is pretty crap, certainly 90% of the time nothing is going on there that'd draw you onto the campus unless you lived there.

Thus QMUL students tend to end up doing the same sorta stuff as KCL. Infact the KCL/QMUL Asian societies organise a lot of things together. Also barely anyone goes in central, it's too bloody expensive unless you go to one of the few clubs that aren't and their generally pretty crap. Tbh I don't think much of the London nightlife but that's because I'm not a hipster who digs Shoreditch and Camden I just find meh.
Original post by ajp100688
You really don't know the first thing about QMUL, why do you keep posting in here? Yes it's true that QMUL is a campus university and you will spend more time on campus vis Kings in the 1st year. However it's only the first year.

After that you're living off campus and Drapers is pretty crap, certainly 90% of the time nothing is going on there that'd draw you onto the campus unless you lived there.

Thus QMUL students tend to end up doing the same sorta stuff as KCL. Infact the KCL/QMUL Asian societies organise a lot of things together. Also barely anyone goes in central, it's too bloody expensive unless you go to one of the few clubs that aren't and their generally pretty crap. Tbh I don't think much of the London nightlife but that's because I'm not a hipster who digs Shoreditch and Camden I just find meh.

What do you dig? The best thing about London is that there is loads to do at night no matter what your interests are.
Reply 18
Original post by Arturo Bandini
What do you dig? The best thing about London is that there is loads to do at night no matter what your interests are.

I prefer more alt rock and metal* rather than hipster stuff and dance music. The problem with London is the hipster stuff is more than catered for with places like Shoreditch. Then you veer to the other extreme with Camden which is like really alt, punks, goths, LGBT etc; and of course there's Ministry and all that for dancey stuff. There's also places in Shoreditch and around for stuff like dub, which I don't mind but it's hardly my favourite thing in the world.

While there's not exactly any bars and clubs in my hometown that plays the music I like, they're at least cheap and easily accesible. London mainstream clubs are full of dickheads, expensive and when living in the East End a bitch to get back from because our decaying underground system can't run 24/7 like New York's :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I love London as a city, the cultural stuff, the historical stuff and museums etc. I just really don't dig the nightlife and think it's hugely overrated. I've been out in Cardiff and Bristol and had much better nights than anywhere in London. Hell I've had better nights out in Torquay and Exeter than in London and these are smallish places with like a population of 130k.

* Examples being stuff like Queens of the Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Bloc Party, Does It Offend You, Yeah?, Nirvana, Pendulum, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Yeah Yeah Yeahs etc etc. That's not to say I don't like music from other genres either, I just prefer rock music.
(edited 13 years ago)
is it true that the british secret service are monitoring students are QM because of their supposed affiliations with terrorist organisations?...just a rumour i've heard! On this note, i'd suspect social scene at Kings would be better, and safer too! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest