The Student Room Group

What retail outlets do you dislike the most?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Topshop. Everything costs too much and most isn't wearable.
Reply 21
Tesco, Carphone Warehouse and PC world.
Reply 22
Original post by milkytea
I disagree about Sports Direct. It's actually pretty good for shorts/football stuff/tennis stuff/cheap sportswear. Although obviously if you're looking for high class fashion you're better off elsewhere...

This. I got some good hiking stuff pretty cheap there too. The shop layout is awful and cramped (I assume you have been to the Saffamton one too milkytea) but you can get some good bargains!

Original post by brokenangel
HMV - means supermarkets dont try to compete with online prices hence i have to wait for stuff to be posted.
Clothes wise - New look and their obession with larger size litterly i cant find anything in a size 8/10 even on the day new stock comes in

Agreed with New Look. Also their clothes sizes are quite generous anyway - I'm an 8-10 in tops whereas I'm a 12 everywhere else. How do skinny people find something to fit? :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by haveyoumetmissjones
Got to say, I used to work in WHSmiths, and management would get really arsey with us if we didnt push the special offer stuff at the tills. Dont be annoyed with the staff, they're just doing their job.

I work in retail also, and would like to echo this. Every say before I start my shift I get the same lecture - "ADD ONS! DON'T FORGET YOUR ADD ONS AT THE TILL! ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF! I WANT TO HEAR AN ADD ON WITH EVERY SALE!" I actually got into trouble and pulled into the office because I used to avoid doing them.
Topshop.

The layout is ridiculous. Why can't they have all the coats near each other? Or at least on the same floor! I don't like having to root through everything to find what I'm looking for.

Also, 99% of the time, the staff are rude and unfriendly, and usually look down their nose at you no matter how much money you're spending there :erm:
To whoever said Sports Direct sell good quality sports wear, you are wrong. They sell chav-wear - clothes that look sporty but would not be suitable for sports. I once went in to look for some running shoes - I'm not exaggerating when I say there was not a single pair of shoes that had any kind of support for running in them. Lots of Sketchers and Nike posing shoes, no actual sports shoes. Likewise their sports clothing, ok if you just want some cheap trakkies and a polo shirt, but nothing in the way of actual performance clothing.
Reply 26
Topshop. I used to shop there all the time a few years ago, and I very rarely shopped anywhere else. But recently I just hate going in there, its so overpriced and too 'over' fashionable if you know what I mean. I actually feel uncomfortable going in there now as I dont fit the 'typical' customer look. The staff are rude in my local store and if you're not wearing the right clothes you're automatically looked down on.

The Body Shop - I love their stuff and they go great gifts but I always seem to get pounced on by a member of staff in my local store, and then I feel pressurised into buying.

TK Maxx - I hate rumaging. I remember a time when TK Maxx used to stock great stuff but now it seems to be full of rubbish, except for bags/shoes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Topman - bunch of posh fags. Used to be reasonable, but now they are queer to an unbearable level...
Reply 28
Primark.
Reply 29
Riverisland/Top man. Some terrible clothes from there.
Original post by snowyowl
I work in retail also, and would like to echo this. Every say before I start my shift I get the same lecture - "ADD ONS! DON'T FORGET YOUR ADD ONS AT THE TILL! ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF! I WANT TO HEAR AN ADD ON WITH EVERY SALE!" I actually got into trouble and pulled into the office because I used to avoid doing them.

LOL I'm always told that I have to hassle customers for add ons at the till too -_- where do you work?
Topshop in Oxford Circus because it's way to big and I can never find anything, so literally just go there to do my eyebrows! Other than that, I like most of the other stores/website.

Can't really think of anything else right now..
Zara is soooo overrated.
Those shops that sell really slaggy "going out dresses". I don't even know what they're called. Pretty sure we don't have them back in the good old South. :moon:

Home Bargains makes it physically impossible to escape their store without buying something, you have to wait for the door to open when someone else comes in... I don't like being bullied into making a purchase.
Original post by buyingtheticket
LOL I'm always told that I have to hassle customers for add ons at the till too -_- where do you work?

Clintons (the card shop), you?
Reply 35
Original post by ily_em
This. I got some good hiking stuff pretty cheap there too. The shop layout is awful and cramped (I assume you have been to the Saffamton one too milkytea) but you can get some good bargains!

Yeah you're basically right on all counts there.:smile:
Hollister :angry:
Reply 37
Tesco convenience stores bore me to death. A combination of their layout, prices, product range and queues just piss me off. Oh, and they promote deals that are actually more expensive than at small corner shops.
(edited 13 years ago)
H&M because they can't size anything right.

ASDA, just because it's a nasty cheap store - even Tesco sells better quality items...

Also, I hate Primark - mainly because everyone who shops there doesn't have the concept that there are other people there, people seriously just stop and stare at things and get in your way constantly and they walk so slow. I have friends which actually like that shop and I get dragged in there and I just get so mad because people just try stuff on even when they aren't buying it. :mad:

I don't as such HATE Topshop, but I do quite dislike it because of some of the things it sells (bought a bag other week and fell apart after a day - paid 40 quid, got a refund but the stuff should last better) the quality is poor. Some dresses are fraying etc. I do like a minor amount of their collection though. Also, when it changes it's layout every week... it's really hard to find stuff you've seen previous week.
Reply 39
Original post by mellie220
H&M because they can't size anything right.

ASDA, just because it's a nasty cheap store - even Tesco sells better quality items...

Also, I hate Primark - mainly because everyone who shops there doesn't have the concept that there are other people there, people seriously just stop and stare at things and get in your way constantly and they walk so slow. I have friends which actually like that shop and I get dragged in there and I just get so mad because people just try stuff on even when they aren't buying it. :mad:

I don't as such HATE Topshop, but I do quite dislike it because of some of the things it sells (bought a bag other week and fell apart after a day - paid 40 quid, got a refund but the stuff should last better) the quality is poor. Some dresses are fraying etc. I do like a minor amount of their collection though. Also, when it changes it's layout every week... it's really hard to find stuff you've seen previous week.

What do you find wrong with H&M sizing? I find I am consistently a size 12 in there, whereas other shops vary a lot more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending