The Student Room Group

Religion is a complete load of crap.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
If you are an atheist does that not mean you still have Faith?? For Faith is to have strong belief in something, therefore if you believe in your own theory (or the theory of an author) does that not make you as 'religious' to your beliefs as Chrisitans, Buddhists, Jews, Muslims etc etc??

Once you start a discussion such as this you should be open to the fact that all you will achieve will be a circling of the same points made in different ways. Your beliefs outline you have Faith in something, confusing as it may seem you are no different to 'Religious people' because you believe yourself to have 'no religion' - Think about it..... :smile:

No, atheism is a lack of belief in God - additionally, the propositions aren't equal i.e 50/50. The burden of proof and 'leap of faith' is on you.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
evolution is just a theory (a geuss) how can u believe that? u think we evolved from a monkey? LOL!

Did you not understand my last comment? (btw you have spelt guess wrong three times in a row)
Original post by Srxjer
No, atheism is a lack of belief in God - additionally, the propositions aren't equal i.e 50/50. The burden of proof and 'leap of faith' is on you.

I think you are correct by strict definition of the term, but more commonly now 'atheist' refers to someone who actively denies the existence of any god, which I think is what most people mean when they say it. Not believing something exists and believing it does not exist are two entirely different things.

What I don't understand is how someone who preaches that god doesn't exist can ridicule someone who preaches the opposite. Believing something not to be true requires the same sort of faith as believing it is true. I don't believe that any god exists but I would never assume that a god cannot exist. Our reasoning as humans may allow us to prove the existence of some things and hypothesise the existence of others, but I think it is reasonable to say that we will never know of everything that exists in the universe and therefore we will never be aware of everything that does not exist. That's why the existence of god is not a sound scientific theory: because it's not disprovable. That's the basis for founding a scientific theory, you have to be able to disprove it. Something along the lines of "If I do x experiment and observe y result, I'll know that my theory was invalid." If y result doesn't happen, you have eliminated a contradiction to your theory and so it is a little more likely that your theory was the correct one. If you do this many times, each time eliminating a different contradiction, you haven't proved that your theory is correct, but it shows it's very unlikely that it isn't. That's not to say a god doesn't exist, only that we cannot claim that one does or doesn't, because there is no way of advancing any further in the 'for' or 'against' argument.

As long as believers and disbelievers understand this and understand that their views are beliefs and not facts then I don't see how anyone can disagree or claim they know better. I think that many religious people do understand this, though, hence the idea of faith and believing in god despite there being no evidence. However, my question to those people is: why don't you believe in, to use someone else's example, a multicoloured tea pot orbiting the Earth? Or anything else, for that matter, that we can neither prove nor disprove.
Reply 223
I can understand religion in the sense of a way of life.
It delivers hope, and also makes people haapy.
Why should we question peoples way of happiness.
modern religion is more about guidence and teaching, rather than the creation.
I don't believe all religous people are ignorant to science.
:biggrin: i would be happy the day a muslim says that :colondollar:
Reply 225
only retards and old people believe in god in 2010
Religion has done nothing but divide. I do believe in God but the idea of religion makes it easy to manipulate history and information. Only a minute part of religious teaching are true the rest have been twisted; you could say religion is just a bunch of dis-info.

Check out this link on Cesare Borgia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Borgia

and this song on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYMtp0ZW_IE&feature=related
Thanks for continuing to make Atheist look like *****. :facepalm2:
I agree with you wholeheartedly and I live amongst these people, my Dad and sibs are religious so I have more evidence of this than anyone and its all one big farce.
You'll notice that in most religions theres an authority which must be respected, trusted and obeyed without asking any questions and its usually that group of ppl who have made the thing up. They are just control freaks and they get away with it because they managed to make ppl believe that they shouldnt trust their own judgement so ppl can never realise its all crap.
I must hand it 2 whoever made up the whole religious thing, its an ingenious idea and is very good 4 the economy because ppl pay unimaginable amounts of money for something practically worthless simply because its classed as a religious article.
But take my word 4 it theres nothing there dont bother with it.
PS I dont object to ppl who are religious, they are welcome 2 live the way they wish as long as they dont disturb the rest of us but imho its crap
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Are you intending on citing the source for that quote or are you just going to go ahead and pass it off as your own?

The latter.
I agree with the title of this thread, religion seems to turn a lot of people into fools, I can't respect the critical thinking intelligence of anyone who believes in God and the Bible.
Original post by professortobe
I agree with you wholeheartedly and I live amongst these people, my Dad and sibs are religious so I have more evidence of this than anyone and its all one big farce.
You'll notice that in most religions theres an authority which must be respected, trusted and obeyed without asking any questions and its usually that group of ppl who have made the thing up. They are just control freaks and they get away with it because they managed to make ppl believe that they shouldnt trust their own judgement so ppl can never realise its all crap.
I must hand it 2 whoever made up the whole religious thing, its an ingenious idea and is very good 4 the economy because ppl pay unimaginable amounts of money for something practically worthless simply because its classed as a religious article.
But take my word 4 it theres nothing there dont bother with it.
PS I dont object to ppl who are religious, they are welcome 2 live the way they wish as long as they dont disturb the rest of us but imho its crap

You know some actual real live religious people?! You MUST be an authority on religion!
Original post by themedicalgeek
Did you not understand my last comment? (btw you have spelt guess wrong three times in a row)

its just a geuss. u cant prove it so it is just a theory (a geuss).
Again that same old story!:sigh:
Reply 234
Deal with it.
Reply 235
Original post by HSG1992
And God said, "Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the firmament of the heavens." 21 So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

That seems very woolly to me (typical of religion). To say "created" is argubly an opposing belief to evolution.

Christians also believe that we are individually created by God.

What I believe is that God ordanes something to exist, and creates conditions for that something to come into existence. Applied chaos theory, if you like.
I'm agnostic, but I generally say each to their own. As long as someone doesn't try and force their beleifs on me or people en masse then I don't mind.
"And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure."

This is the sixth and last tenant of my Church. I believe that this is what religion is about, not about following a pastor blindly and kneeling down to any ordained 'artifact' in the hope that it will bless you
Original post by Bobifier
You know some actual real live religious people?! You MUST be an authority on religion!

More of an authority than those who are commenting based on ppl theyve met briefly or know at college etc. I have lived in the same house and community as religious ppl 4 18 years so yes i would say i am in a better position 2 judge than the average person
Original post by Beleg Cuthalion
"And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure."

This is the sixth and last tenant of my Church. I believe that this is what religion is about, not about following a pastor blindly and kneeling down to any ordained 'artifact' in the hope that it will bless you

non religious ppl are perfectly capable of doing the exact same thing. Those are not rules of religion, they are basic human decency and if you look at those around you the religious ones do not stand out from the crowd as being more kind and considerate of others than anyone else. One does not have 2 believe in god 2 recognise that we share this earth with others and therefore must take them into account in our behaviour. In practice it is the rest of the nation who has 2 constantly refrain from saying/doing things which may upset the religious ppl so it is the population as a whole who has 2 be kind and considerate to the religious not the other way round.

Quick Reply

Latest