The Student Room Group

Maths or Mathematics?

Scroll to see replies

more space left if u write maths :tongue:
Reply 21
Either is fine. As for capitalisation, that doesn't matter either. Personally I capitalise whenever I'm talking about the name of a course (which I take to be a proper noun), but don't capitalise when I'm talking about a subject area or field (which I take to be a common noun). So if I were saying "I enjoyed doing maths at A-level" I'd be talking about maths wherever it cropped up, but if I said "I enjoyed doing Maths at A-level" I'd specifically be referring to the A-level.

Anyway I'm sure they care much more about how good at maths you are than how good at using appropriate vocab and capitalisation you are.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Dededex
What ever you do - DON'T CALL IT "MATH"! Gets on my freakin' nerves.

:biggrin: why not? let the american folk be happy :P
Original post by llpokermuffinll
How would you write it in your personal statements. I know I'm a bit late, but I am just doing the last refining of my statement.

What is more acceptable:

"I enjoyed Maths at A Level"
"I enjoyed Mathematics at A Level"

And in capital or lower letters?

EDIT - The original sentence has the same meaning, but is different in words, so don't correct me on the sentence please. Just focus on the word maths or mathematics please.

Hi,
my advice would be to write what you have the space for. If you have enough characters for mathematics, then write it. If not, then go for maths.

Hope that helps!
Whatever you write, just keep it consistent - either is acceptable. General rule - it's probably a small letter :p:
Original post by toronto353
Hi,
my advice would be to write what you have the space for. If you have enough characters for mathematics, then write it. If not, then go for maths.

Hope that helps!

Yh, I get where you're coming from, but I would rather write something that is correct and more positive, than save space and write in abbreviations. You get me?
Whoever says "I'm currently studying A-level Mathematics" to my face I will kick their knee.
Original post by llpokermuffinll
Yh, I get where you're coming from, but I would rather write something that is correct and more positive, than save space and write in abbreviations. You get me?

Yep, then I would delete a couple of characters elsewhere. This is usually done by replacing long words for smaller words.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending