The Student Room Group

Is there anything your parents don't know about you that they really ought to?

I mean serious things, like getting into trouble with the police, being in a relationship, smoking, being gay etc...
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I once came very close to committing suicide - very close, I was persuaded not to hours before I intended to do it.
Original post by TheSownRose
I once came very close to committing suicide - very close, I was persuaded not to hours before I intended to do it.

Same here. Not even my boyfriend knows this :frown:

Probably my address, I'd say...
I haven't got round to telling them I'm an axe murderer.
Reply 4
Original post by TheSownRose

I should have included suicide in my original post...

How does it feel, knowing your parents have no idea?
Reply 5
I dont think my mum really knows me, we're just not that close :s-smilie:
Reply 6
My parents don't know that im gay.
Reply 7
Yes a hell lot of them! and I refrain from posting here, in case it ever gets out. :afraid:

:ninja:
Well, there's lots of things they don't know - like the fact I'm bent as the proverbial nine-bob, or that I've smoked cannabis.

Whether any of those things are things that they OUGHT to know, on the other hand, is questionable.

Although I do get what you mean. One of my brother's friends has three tattoos that his mother doesn't know about. She's my driving instructor. Even when we're talking about completely unrelated things, the urge to tell her is sometimes nearly overwhelming. "Yeah, Southampton did look like a pretty nice uni. By the way, did you know your son has a tattoo on the back of his leg and that's why he wore jeans on the hottest day of the year?"
Nothing for my parents.

BUT

My boyfriends parents don't know we are back together as the have a major problem with me, which is actually why we spilt up in the first place. Not a good situation.... :frown:
Original post by dd4483
I should have included suicide in my original post...

How does it feel, knowing your parents have no idea?

At the time I felt bad, but remembered the reason I kept it from them is it was their actions that pushed me over the edge (they didn't cause it; that was extreme bullying and every day seemed so dark.) Over time, the fact that I didn't, that I stopped myself, became more important as well - it would only upset them.

Also over time, it became irrelevant until now, when it doesn't matter anymore.; I was in a different space at that time, and it's not something that I consider now. I have a lot more to live for now than I did then, so it would be a bit strange to come out, "Oh hey, when I was fifteen I almost killed myself and you were part of the problem. Now, would you like slippers or gloves for Christmas..?"

It has no bearing, so there's no real reason to discuss it. They probably should have known, but I persuaded myself there was a good reason to keep it from them until now, when it would be inappropriate to discuss it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
there are things they don't know about me but they aren't thing i would say they should know (ie smoking drugs).
Uh... being sexually active - sex before marriage is totally forbidden by my mum. So she would go MAD if I told her.
(edited 13 years ago)

My parents don't know i'm bi.

Or that I smoke.
That I like girls too, but I will probably eventually tell them. If it happens that I'm in a relatively long term relationship with a girl, I probably wouldn't tell them about a relationship with a boy either unless it was also relatively long term.

I also have 3 piercings they don't know about.
:s-smilie:
Original post by APonderingMind
Uh... being sexually active - sex before marriage is totally forbidden by my mum. So she would go MAD if I told her.

This (and also that I drink). My Dad would probably hunt the guy down and kill him.
Maybe Smoking :frown: i feel bad about it. but i can't resist.
Original post by sandys1000
I haven't got round to telling them I'm an axe murderer.

Those poor axes, what did they ever do to you?!
Reply 18
Smoking, trouble with the law, what really happened to my laptop.
Reply 19
Original post by dd4483
I mean serious things, like getting into trouble with the police, being in a relationship, smoking, being gay etc...

yes, everything you have mentioned apart from the gay bit. would I tell them?? - nope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending