The Student Room Group

Poll: Would You Help an Injured Stranger?

Poll

Would You Help an Injured Stranger?

The reason why I asked this is because recently, I came to find a unconsciousness 70 year old man with blood pouring over his face. I obviously helped the man (called 999 etc) turns out he got mugged by three youths.

Anyways a friend of mine told me, that people who are older, are likely too walk pass and ignore someone who is obviously in need, since they have seen many bad things already, and have kind of gotten used to it so that the basic human instinct to help another human being is dumbed down.

He also said that young people (despite their negative image), are likely to help someone in need since we haven't seen that much negative stuff in the world, which too some extend makes us slightly more moralized.

I disagreed with this because I think everyone has the basic human need to help someone who is in distress or injured.
Reply 1
Yes I would but I'm not sure it's necessarily instinct. Although logically you'd help your own species I think your upbringing and the values your parents teach you are a big decider, some people grow up very cruel. I mean take those who mugged and beat him, they could have called an ambulance anonymously but chose not to...
There was a story about this a while back in my local paper, a couple of 14-year old teens (who did look a bit dodgy themselves had i simply been judging them on their 'hoodie' appearance and not their deeds) helped an injured OAP.
About your morality theory OP, i'm not really sure...what I do know is i tend to get a lpt more affecte dby charity letters/appeals we get through the post etc than my parents who just chuck them in the recycling without opening, i get all guilty and emotinoal reading them over a 50% of the the time end up sending them money or summat =/
Reply 3
Original post by joey11223
Yes I would but I'm not sure it's necessarily instinct. Although logically you'd help your own species I think your upbringing and the values your parents teach you are a big decider, some people grow up very cruel. I mean take those who mugged and beat him, they could have called an ambulance anonymously but chose not to...

wouldn't that be because they didn't want to risk getting caught?
Reply 4
Original post by Adam Ben
The reason why I asked this is because recently, I came to find a unconsciousness 70 year old man with blood pouring over his face. I obviously helped the man (called 999 etc) turns out he got mugged by three youths.

Anyways a friend of mine told me, that people who are older, are likely too walk pass and ignore someone who is obviously in need, since they have seen many bad things already, and have kind of gotten used to it so that the basic human instinct to help another human being is dumbed down.

He also said that young people (despite their negative image), are likely to help someone in need since we haven't seen that much negative stuff in the world, which too some extend makes us slightly more moralized.

I disagreed with this because I think everyone has the basic human need to help someone who is in distress or injured.

Adam Ben you would not believe the respect I have for you right now my friend. You were absolutely right to help him out in his time of need. If it was you on the other-hand, I'd suppose you'd like someone to do the same for you. I am happy there are still people like you and myself out there that care for the well-being of others. i'll look out for you on other threads. i have a feeling you are a very clever man. good luck bro
Reply 5
Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
There was a story about this a while back in my local paper, a couple of 14-year old teens (who did look a bit dodgy themselves had i simply been judging them on their 'hoodie' appearance and not their deeds) helped an injured OAP.
About your morality theory OP, i'm not really sure...what I do know is i tend to get a lpt more affecte dby charity letters/appeals we get through the post etc than my parents who just chuck them in the recycling without opening, i get all guilty and emotinoal reading them over a 50% of the the time end up sending them money or summat =/

Although thats within the same context, I am talking about physically, where helping the person is way more personal than sending money through charity
Some people will ignore it because they either think it's just an acting so that he'll get trapped and the people who are hiding can mug him. *I've heard that in the news*

Personally though, i will help them right away especially when its really bloody. But i will call an ambulance/police first that way if its a trap or something the police is already on the way.
Reply 7
wouldn't that be because they didn't want to risk getting caught?

I suppose but the fact that they mugged and beat an elderly man in the first place speaks volumes about their character and values surely? Generally you'd assume if you were the kind to help people who were hurt...you in turn wouldn't hurt people?

I think some have no respect for others rights..even the right to life, I think a lot of it is upbringing.
Of course. You would have had to have gone through some pretty horrific stuff to be so desensitised as to not help.
I wouldn't if it were a chav.

And I think it is an instinct to some degree. Practically all would show empathy to somebody suffering. But it also depends on somebody's own value system and experiences. Empathy is not absolute, and we frankly pick and choose who to feel empathy for. It could be based on race, religion, gender, class, you name it. Also, people who have suffered a lot often don't have much empathy for others.

All Respect To you Man! Keep up what you do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending