The Student Room Group

Donate blood

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jackthevillain
I dont know anyone who donates blood me included but why should we really?

Is 'because there are lots of people who would die without transfusions' not a good enough reason for you then? :rolleyes:

Like I said before. If they were really that desperate for blood they would have more sessions and perhaps the staff should be more civil.
Reply 102
Original post by DrunkenMaster
Like I said before. If they were really that desperate for blood they would have more sessions and perhaps the staff should be more civil.

If they are not, complain to the higher authorities.
I haven't yet, but I plan to soon.

Original post by Jenny_Jazz
I would but I can't.

Why?
Original post by thunder_chunky

Why?

Because of my job/lifestyle.
Reply 105
I cant give blood because i'm gay, and therefore have HIV in the eyes of the blood service
Reply 106
Original post by KJ21
I cant give blood because i'm gay, and therefore have HIV in the eyes of the blood service

Its not about homophobia, its about managing risk, to seriously ill recipients.

At the moment, unfortunately, gay men are still far more likely than other groups to be HIV positive. In the near future this will change as new infections in straight people are on the rise, and the policy will have to be reviewed. This will probably result in great cost to the NHS for more extensive screening/testing.

You could equally say that all people from Africa have malaria in the eyes of the blood service, or all people from North America have West Nile Virus, all sex workers have Hep C, all tattoo enthusiasts have tetanus and all previous transfusion recipients are incubating vCJD etc etc.

Do you think the NHS should take risks with cancer patients and accident victims just to save your feelings?

EDIT: This was brought up earlier in the thread, see my post 55.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by Larrabee

Do you think the NHS should take risks with cancer patients and accident victims just to save your feelings?

No, but haven;t they got to test the blood before its used, they test the Blood for HIV don't they??
Reply 108
I can't, I'm diabetic. :frown:
Reply 109
Original post by KJ21
No, but haven;t they got to test the blood before its used, they test the Blood for HIV don't they??

They do, but HIV can be undetectable for months after infection.
Reply 110
Original post by Muffinz
I can't, I'm diabetic. :frown:

No worries. :smile:
When were you diagonised?
I fainted after the first time, that was interesting. Didn't stop me, have my fourth donation some time soon. Working on convincing some of my friends to donate aswel.
Reply 112
They do, but HIV can be undetectable for months after infection.

Yes normally 3 months, however how is it more likely that I have HIV rather than someone who is "heterosexual" if they cant fully test that every blood that gets taken does not have HIV
Reply 113
Original post by KJ21
Yes normally 3 months, however how is it more likely that I have HIV rather than someone who is "heterosexual" if they cant fully test that every blood that gets taken does not have HIV

they do check everyones.
Is 'because there are lots of people who would die without transfusions' not a good enough reason for you then? :rolleyes:

Depends who these people are.
Reply 115
Original post by ragaa
No worries. :smile:
When were you diagonised?

Three years ago (when I was 15).
Original post by ragaa
so How did your blood tests sessions go?:biggrin:

They didn't do it!!

I have to wait until the 17th now. I just wish they'd get it over with! :frown:
just donated today =D
Reply 118
I have a massive phobia of medical needles (I've had various piercings without batting an eyelid, but in a medical context nooooo) and having blood extracted makes me verge on fainting. I had a blood test recently (which I only consented to because I was seriously ill) and nearly had a panic attack in the waiting room, so I'm going to pass on a massive needle and ten times as much blood loss.
Reply 119
I refuse to donate to an organisation which would disciminate on the basis of someone being a homosexual. You can test blood for HIV so why would you specifically stop homosexuals from giving blood? It's ridiculous. It's like sticking all black people in prison because they're more likely to commit a crime..

Quick Reply