The Student Room Group

Boyfriend lost all of his money

Been with my boyfriend for 6 years, he works at a production company. Over the last year he told me he did work on the side but I dismissed it as I thought he just wanted to make himself sound good.

A few weeks ago he had his bank frozen so I knew he was in serious trouble. One of the companies he did work for grassed him up to Inland Revenue over a dispute about payment. He has been lucky and isn't going to jail but has been taxed £7,000 and fined £13,000 and now has no savings.

I felt so upset that the £20,000 he lost would have gone towards the house we talked about getting. I have enough money to buy my own place but now don't know if he is reliable as I don't see why I should risk my money buying a house with him and if we had children he would through money away like this.

He said he kept meaning to get registered but didn't have the time (nonsense). I feel quite upset as we used to go away twice a month and he said that may have to stop now. I am getting annoyed he wants sympathy for having no money when he brought it on himself and leaving an audit trail didn't do any favours. I do love him but don't want to be taken for a mug.
Reply 1
he isn't exactly THROWING it away is it.

tax evasion isn't quite the same thing.
Original post by Anonymous
Been with my boyfriend for 6 years, he works at a production company. Over the last year he told me he did work on the side but I dismissed it as I thought he just wanted to make himself sound good.

A few weeks ago he had his bank frozen so I knew he was in serious trouble. One of the companies he did work for grassed him up to Inland Revenue over a dispute about payment. He has been lucky and isn't going to jail but has been taxed £7,000 and fined £13,000 and now has no savings.

I felt so upset that the £20,000 he lost would have gone towards the house we talked about getting. I have enough money to buy my own place but now don't know if he is reliable as I don't see why I should risk my money buying a house with him and if we had children he would through money away like this.

He said he kept meaning to get registered but didn't have the time (nonsense). I feel quite upset as we used to go away twice a month and he said that may have to stop now. I am getting annoyed he wants sympathy for having no money when he brought it on himself and leaving an audit trail didn't do any favours. I do love him but don't want to be taken for a mug.

Sounds like you were taking him for a mug.
and he was taking the tax man for a mug.
:troll:
fail/fail situation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
I fail to see why money has anything to do with anything. It's annoying, move on.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

It sounds like all you care about is money. Par for the course I guess.
Reply 5
Do you know exactly what is the situation here? If he's had some trouble with the law, that would be deal-breaker for me. If you consider marriage and children, find someone who can handle money. It doesn't mean rich (for those bitter souls who love to scream "golddigger"), it just means someone who's a tad responsible.
Reply 6
A real woman would leave him, if he lost all of his money. Just saying...
I see where your coming from. I suppose you want to be with someone who is reliable with money. I don't know much about this stuff, but maybe make sure your accounts are entirely separate , and everything is 50/50. Make sure he's registered with everything he is supposed to be registered with and I suppose he can't affect you financially...
Reply 8
Lost all his money? Time to move on!
Reply 9
He spent money taking you away every month, and now he's in financial trouble you now kick up a stomp?

There is NO way you didn't at least have some suspicions into what he was doing/what he was up to. You were willing to accept this £20k towards your house, don't discredit him for getting caught.

Tax evasion isn't that uncommon you know, give him a break.

I can definatley see where you are coming from, however if you love him as you say, you have a funny way of showing it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kasc
He spent money taking you away every month, and now he's in financial trouble you now kick up a stomp?

There is NO way you didn't at least have some suspicions into what he was doing/what he was up to. You were willing to accept this £20k towards your house, don't discredit him for getting caught.

Tax evasion isn't that uncommon you know, give him a break.

Um, you know they didn't split the cost how exactly?
Reply 11
Original post by lozz2601
Um, you know they didn't split the cost how exactly?

I don't.
hahahaha oh the hypocrisy :rolleyes:
Original post by Kasc

What? Where did she suggest that he was paying for it? What a bizarre conclusion to come to about someone who specifically said they have enough money to buy a house. :lolwut:
Reply 14

Typical woman, more concerned about his bank balance than his well-being.
Reply 15
Original post by insignificant
I see where your coming from. I suppose you want to be with someone who is reliable with money. I don't know much about this stuff, but maybe make sure your accounts are entirely separate , and everything is 50/50. Make sure he's registered with everything he is supposed to be registered with and I suppose he can't affect you financially...

Only you seem to get me! I am not a golddigger as I have always had more savings and when we went away I paid half towards everything - its just now he cannot afford his share. I love him to bits and am concerned about his wellbeing but at the same time I cannot be taken for a ride and be expected to pay for the mortgage on a house etc just because he couldn't manage his finances.
Reply 16
Original post by insignificant

I actually love the shaytards. Mommytard:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest