The Student Room Group

Differential Equations-help!!

Solve (x+y)2(xdydx+y)=xy(1+dydx)(x+y)^2(x\frac{dy}{dx}+y)=xy(1+\frac{dy}{dx})

rearranging the formula would give,

x[(x+y)2y]dydx+y[(x+y)2x]=0[br]x[(x+y)2y]dy+y[(x+y)2x]dx=0x[(x+y)^2-y]\frac{dy}{dx}+y[(x+y)^2-x]=0[br] x[(x+y)^2-y]dy+y[(x+y)^2-x]dx=0

I have tried multiplying an integrating factor but I can't find one depending only on x or y. Is there a way of finding an integrating factor involving both x and y? or is there a substitution or a different method for these type of equations?

Thanks in advance for any help
Original post by r2enigma

Differential equations is not my best subject area, but if you divide both sides of the original equation by the terms that don't involve the derivative, then you may recognize the form of each side and be able to integrate directly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Solve (x+y)2(xdydx+y)=xy(1+dydx)(x+y)^2(x\frac{dy}{dx}+y)=xy(1+\frac{dy}{dx})

rearranging the formula would give,

x[(x+y)2y]dydx+y[(x+y)2x]=0[br]x[(x+y)2y]dy+y[(x+y)2x]dx=0x[(x+y)^2-y]\frac{dy}{dx}+y[(x+y)^2-x]=0[br] x[(x+y)^2-y]dy+y[(x+y)^2-x]dx=0

I have tried multiplying an integrating factor but I can't find one depending only on x or y. Is there a way of finding an integrating factor involving both x and y? or is there a substitution or a different method for these type of equations?

Thanks in advance for any help

Use separating the variables.
Reply 3
Original post by jonathan3909
Use separating the variables.

thanks for your reply. How do I separate x and y variables into two sides? Any hints?
thanks for your reply. How do I separate x and y variables into two sides? Any hints?

The hint is in your above post:rolleyes:

Ok I'll help.Expand the above brackets and multiply throughout first.
x^{3} y' + yx^{2} + 2yx^{2}y' + 2xy^{2} + xy^{2}y' + y^{3} = xy + xyy' where y=dydx. y' = \frac{dy}{dx}.

Now write the whole thing as : dydx=.....\frac {dy}{dx} = .....
x3y+2yx2y+xy2yxyy=xy2xy2yx2y3x^{3} y' + 2yx^{2}y' + xy^{2}y' - xyy' = xy - 2xy^{2} - yx^{2} - y^{3}

dydx(x3+2yx2+xy2xy)=xy2xy2yx2y3\frac {dy}{dx} (x^{3} + 2yx^{2} + xy^{2} -xy) = xy - 2xy^{2} - yx^{2} - y^{3}
And put the y variables on dy side and x variables on dx side and then integrate to get y=....
Reply 9
And put the y variables on dy side and x variables on dx sideHow?
Original post by ghostwalker
Differential equations is not my best subject area, but if you divide both sides of the original equation by the terms that don't involve the derivative, then you may recognize the form of each side and be able to integrate directly.
Agreed.

For the OP:

Spoiler

Reply 11
Original post by DFranklin
Agreed.

For the OP:

Spoiler

I'll try that thanks :biggrin:
How?

I agree-It's too complex but not impossible to do:wink:
I don't see any way of doing it. If you have a method, I suggest you post it.
I don't see any way of doing it. If you have a method, I suggest you post it.

Haven't you done separating the variables?
Reply 15
Agreed.

For the OP:

Spoiler

Found the solution. Thanks :biggrin:

It is impossible because no amount of algebraic manipulation will allow us to express the original DE in the form:
p(x)q(y)dydx+r(x)s(y)=0p(x)q(y)\frac{dy}{dx}+r(x)s(y)=0.
What the others have outlined is the best approach.
You're right-

Quick Reply

Latest