The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Film and TV Production

Hey,

Was just double checking all my choices and Grades / UCAS points requirements and checked out the above course and as far as I can see, the UCAS points requirement has been removed from the Entry Profile.

At the time of my application, it stood at 240 UCAS points - can someone possibly confirm this for me? I'm getting a little worried as I can't find the information.

I just want peace of mind.
Reply 1
According to http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/Film-and-TV-Production.cfm, the requirement is still 240 UCAS points.
It's weird though, because the course isn't listed on the http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/subjects/computer_science_and_it/undergraduate.cfm page, I'm sure it was a while ago.

There are some rumours that the Film & TV Production and Film & TV Technology courses will probably be merged into one. Seeing that Film & TV Production isn't listed anymore, there might be some truth to it. It makes sense although the Film & TV Tech course structure is alot different (Film and TV Production is more specific to the name, Tech still has a broad spectrum of subjects, some of which you probably won't need if you're going into Film work).

If the requirement suddenly changes, I think UCAS or the Uni should let you know, or update your offer (if you have one).
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Ah, thanks a lot for the information.

I haven't heard anything apart from what you've just told me.

The course is still on UCAS, though. So that is strange. I will contact the university tomorrow.
Reply 3
I'd really like to be involved in writing and editing films and would like to have an active role in the process.

Also, thanks for the information - this has put my mind at ease!
Original post by GBateman
I'd really like to be involved in writing and editing films and would like to have an active role in the process.

Also, thanks for the information - this has put my mind at ease!

If you want to write and edit films, then BSc Film and TV Production is the wrong course for you. You need to apply to one of the three BA Film and Television degrees at Herts.

There are modules on scriptwriting and three years of editing modules on the BA courses - which also offer the students the chance to become Apple Certified Pros in Final Cut Pro.
The BSc has no modules on scriptwriting and the editing is taught from a non-creative, technical point of view, across only two years.
Reply 5
Oh, that's not good. I read the entry profile and it seemed to offer everything I wanted to do.

How do I go about changing my course choice? I've already submitted and paid for my UCAS.
Reply 6
Oh, that's not good. I read the entry profile and it seemed to offer everything I wanted to do.

How do I go about changing my course choice? I've already submitted and paid for my UCAS.

Perhaps "thecurators" knows more about this but it is often easier to change course (as long as they are similar) once you are in rather then during the application process. Perhaps it is worth giving the student centre a ring or perhaps "thecurators"could get you in touch with the head of school, he or she should be able to help with this I think. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Pop_tart
it is often easier to change course (as long as they are similar) once you are in rather then during the application process.

Are you allowed to do that?
Reply 8

Well in the School of Humanities you are, so that's why I am assuming you shouldn't have too many trouble switching course that is very similar but I can't confirm this so don't take my word for it ^^

Typically, yes you would be able to do this. However, the BA Film and TV courses are always full and I do not allow anyone to transfer into our courses at all because we simply can not take any more students.

You need to ring admissions and ask them to change your application for you because you were mis-informed by the Herts website and the description of the BSc. I'm very sorry to say that this is happening a lot, because the BSc sounds like a filmmaking course when it is almost nothing to do with actually making films. I have had numerous meetings to try and put this right and it seems to fall of deaf ears every time.

Admissions are on: 01707 284800
Reply 10
Thanks for the information, again! :smile:

The thing is, I may struggle to meet the 300 UCAS points required - so I am not sure what would be the best course of action to take. I really want to study at Herts, though.
Reply 11
Try not to be put off by the UCAS points system.
I attend Hertfordshire and was very daunted by the 300 points, as I did not obtain many distinctions in my BTEC modules at college. Yet because of the way BTEC work was graded I somehow managed to get a Triple Distinction overall.

Ultimately if it is your main/first choice you can always go with that and if you don't make the points then you can go for a lower entry course. There is nothing wrong with aiming higher!
Reply 12
I've recently received a conditional offer for the course I originally applied for - how do I go about changing this to the one you recommended?
Reply 13
I'd give the Hertfordshire admissions a ring as soon as possible! Don't stall, time is really against you in the application process.

Quick Reply