The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My home is in Suffolk, and then the rest of the time I go to university in Reading. I live near to Bury St Edmunds if that helps.
Original post by Jimbo1234

1. It is a generalisation
2. There is evidence to support my case. Where is yours? :rolleyes:

I may have missed this somewhere along the thread. What is this evidence that you have?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by jcas
I read that. I don't care. Sarcasm or no sarcasm, stating claims like that merely perpetuates a mind-set. You still won't say that about race even with a sarcastic tone. These type of statements need to removed by society.

Stop writing them. Sarcasm or not.

Oh great, now you know what I have/haven't said. Get over your righteous indignation kid.
Reply 163
I'm betting majority of girls on this site are far more intelligent than you. Honestly, you sound extremely ignorant, sexist and completely thick. Oh well done, you know about WW2 and 9/11, so does my 8 year old cousin.

Grow up and stop making pathetic threads, just because the girls you choose to speak to are air heads doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Reply 164
I think it's fair to say that HEJ is deeply offended.

Jimbo1234 -5
(a generalisation of course)

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do other people find this to be the same with girls they meet, or guys?
Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?

EDIT: Courtesy of (ij), here is some actual proof!
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-65414116.html

Your a retard.
But your point is valid.

I know of two girls, one being my girlfriend (all respect to her, if she reads this. Love you sweety :tongue:) who are superb students, literally straight A.
But on more than one occasion I have been gob-smacked by their lack of general knowledge, especially important historical events which have changed the world!

Ask the best male students in my sixth form who Lenin, or Mao Zedong were and what they did and they will know. Ask any of the 'mid level male students', such as my self and they will tell you. But girls just seem to have no idea!

The other girl said 'whos Margaret thatcher' not long ago..... :eek:

Another thing I've noticed, girls tend to learn less, remember more.
Yes they do superbly in exams! But ask them a question on what was in the exam a year on and they will not know the answer.
I think thats a pretty bad sign of our education system, when people can 'remember' to pass an exam, and not learn.
Original post by EggmanD
I couldn't tell you what WW2 was about but i could tell you where Germany is as i did Geography not History at GCSE.. perhaps the girls your talking about did neither :biggrin:

Wtf did you do in Geography? As far as I remember we did no work on where countries are found. I call bull ****.

And allot of people didn't study history, but they know very well what happened in ww2.

Its ignorance.
Original post by -raisa
tbh, I think most young adults / teenagers nowadays have absolutely zero "general knowledge", and I'm talking about both GIRLS and BOYS.

I read the newspaper every single morning & I think I'm quite knowledgeable about history, geography, politics, etc. and it really annoys me how there's no one in real life I can discuss these issues with because they never know what I'm talking about :/

kind of depressing, actually.

I like you.
Reply 168
Original post by Holly Hiskey
I may have missed this somewhere along the thread. What is this evidence that you have?

I put it in the first post, so you can check that.

Original post by BambieWambie
Oh grow some balls! And good luck finding a girlfriend. Freak!

Well I will need that luck if they are all as capable to communicate their ideas as you are. God forbid that they actually say something coherent for once. :rolleyes:

Original post by lonelykatana
Your a retard.
But your point is valid.

I know of two girls, one being my girlfriend (all respect to her, if she reads this. Love you sweety :tongue:) who are superb students, literally straight A.
But on more than one occasion I have been gob-smacked by their lack of general knowledge, especially important historical events which have changed the world!

Ask the best male students in my sixth form who Lenin, or Mao Zedong were and what they did and they will know. Ask any of the 'mid level male students', such as my self and they will tell you. But girls just seem to have no idea!

The other girl said 'whos Margaret thatcher' not long ago..... :eek:

Another thing I've noticed, girls tend to learn less, remember more.
Yes they do superbly in exams! But ask them a question on what was in the exam a year on and they will not know the answer.
I think thats a pretty bad sign of our education system, when people can 'remember' to pass an exam, and not learn.

At least this retard knows how to read......
(a generalisation of course)

:rolleyes:

Original post by HEJ92
I'm betting majority of girls on this site are far more intelligent than you. Honestly, you sound extremely ignorant, sexist and completely thick. Oh well done, you know about WW2 and 9/11, so does my 8 year old cousin.

Grow up and stop making pathetic threads, just because the girls you choose to speak to are air heads doesn't mean the rest of us are.

What part of ' I have evidence, here it is' do you not understand. Also, seeing that I go to a top 10 uni, I doubt that the majority of girls on TSR are smarter then me, but then you had to say that in order to be able to frantically grasp to some dull bit of hope in order to fulfil your insecurities.
(edited 13 years ago)
I put it in the first post, so you can check that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since my German isn't very good, but isn't that just a general breakdown of the university and subject rankings? At least if this http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-65414116.html was the link that you meant to provide? I was thinking something more along the lines of a peer reviewed paper, preferably in English.
Reply 170
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Correct me if I'm wrong, since my German isn't very good, but isn't that just a general breakdown of the university and subject rankings? At least if this http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-65414116.html was the link that you meant to provide? I was thinking something more along the lines of a peer reviewed paper, preferably in English.

The article discusses the results of a simple 180 question test given to 600,000 students with the questions comprising of general knowledge based questions eg. Artists, geography etc.
If you are using Google Chrome it will give you a rough translation of the page.
Reply 171
Well to be honest intelligence is hard to measure, but when girls are doing subjects such as medicine and sciences, as well as going to top 10 uni's, it is hard to not call them intelligent.
However when they say such retarded things such as ' What is a Vietnam?", I wonder if they are intelligent, or they just have a good short term memory for their chosen subject.

Short term memory is about seven seconds long (pretty sure that's general knowledge...). I think you mean perhaps they're good at converting incoming data into long term memory.

I'd be interested to see how you interact with both genders. It sounds like you're far too dismissive of girls when it comes to general knowledge, whereas you'd be more inclined to have an in depth conversation with a guy.

Also, the post by the tsr girl you had a conversation about 9/11 with leads me to believe you're not opposed to twisting the truth to make it support your point.
Reply 172
Original post by lonelykatana
Wtf did you do in Geography? As far as I remember we did no work on where countries are found. I call bull ****.

And allot of people didn't study history, but they know very well what happened in ww2.

Its ignorance.

It was definitely a serious a statement and it is a solid fact that if you do Geography you will never know anything about History, ever.
The article discusses the results of a simple 180 question test given to 600,000 students with the questions comprising of general knowledge based questions eg. Artists, geography etc.
If you are using Google Chrome it will give you a rough translation of the page.

From what I understand (given that it's a Sunday morning and I got in fairly late last night) it's saying that women have equal general knowledge, just in different areas? Surely this is obvious anyway- men and women think differently, it stands to reason that they would therefore remember and be interested in different things.
this post was just asking for trouble really....

and no, I can hold a serious conversation about crucial and relevant topics, but to be quite honest, due to all the pressure I'm under from exams and what not, I'd much rather chat about the X Factor and not have to think much.
Reply 175
Original post by ish90an
Oh great, now you know what I have/haven't said. Get over your righteous indignation kid.

Using Kid in a dispute. Pretty much says it all. Well played, well played...
Reply 176
Original post by jcas
Using Kid in a dispute. Pretty much says it all. Well played, well played...

Ignoring the actual point (which is about this incredible ability of yours to know if I have/have not made any comments about race). Well played, well played...
If it posts like a kid, and acts like a kid....
Original post by ish90an
Ignoring the actual point (which is about this incredible ability of yours to know if I have/have not made any comments about race). Well played, well played...
If it posts like a kid, and acts like a kid....

Just to say I got the joke, I thought it was funny, and I liked the fact that you put a spoiler to explain that it was sarcastic just in case anyone didn't pick up on it.
PS Hopefully I'm talking to the right person, your original post was a few pages back...
Reply 178
Original post by BambieWambie
Im not very good a maths but i know 1 doesnt have a square root

Lol it does..the square root of one is one!
I've always been very good at general knowledge actually, better than anyone else in my classes at school. I put it down to having always read very widely and taken an interest in lots of different subjects. If anything, I'd say that more of the boys were clueless in that department.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending