The Student Room Group

Online dating if you're a guy

I'd it just me or is this almost impossible? I think I'm quite good looking, have good points going for me in my profile and never cone across needy or desperate, but it's just so difficult to get anywhere. Even when I message girls that aren't mega attractive. I can't help but feel even if I was king dingaling himself on these sites it would still be mega difficult. What I've had lately is getting into conversations and the girls just suddenly stop talking! Even though we seem to have some good stuff in common. So are most girls on these sites completely up themselves or is it me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:confused:

I think you might be very spot on there bro :/
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'd it just me or is this almost impossible? I think I'm quite good looking, have good points going for me in my profile and never cone across needy or desperate, but it's just so difficult to get anywhere. Even when I message girls that aren't mega attractive. I can't help but feel even if I was king dingaling himself on these sites it would still be mega difficult. What I've had lately is getting into conversations and the girls just suddenly stop talking! Even though we seem to have some good stuff in common. So are most girls on these sites completely up themselves or is it me?

Well, I have been on dating websites before so I can give you in insight. I find it easier to just ask for msn or number to talk because on the dating website, unless the conversation is very interesting, it dies out. And when it dies out, there's nothing you can do, it's over :/
Reply 3
Bump interested to hear more guys experiences on here. +anonfail
Reply 4
Original post by Reflexive
Bump interested to hear more guys experiences on here. +anonfail

here goes

* you're right about the pretty ones going in for an ego boost
* afraid to 'make it offline' , recent threads on this matter provide proof that they will let a good opp go by because OH NOEZ IT'S THE INTERNET !!

I have had good experiences BUT and I hate to admit it, they are online for a reason.

whether it's ego boost/afraid to talk to guys in real life, or simply restricted by family etc ..

the 'gem's' as in, very pretty, intelligent, albeit shy girls tend to be very hidden (the ones without profile pics) and you need to search hard for them.

as my own personal experience, the last 4 went like this;

- was my gf but then we broke up
- was nice, just lived too far
- met me, but as i found out later, she found herself a bf prior she met me and only met me out of obligation?
- only wanted to meet me for sex.
Reply 5
Original post by katyness
Well, I have been on dating websites before so I can give you in insight. I find it easier to just ask for msn or number to talk because on the dating website, unless the conversation is very interesting, it dies out. And when it dies out, there's nothing you can do, it's over :/

that's another point.

if you don't meet within a month - forget it, they've lost interest

also try to get them too meet as soon as possible otherwise they can over-think it, "omg would be it awkward?" etc ...
Reply 6
I know people - young people - who have used them very successfully. Dont bother with free ones, if someone is serious they'll be prepared to pay for it. Applies for both buys and girls.
Girls generally get loads of messages on those sites.

But believe me, they do work :P
Reply 8
Original post by aws
that's another point.

if you don't meet within a month - forget it, they've lost interest

also try to get them too meet as soon as possible otherwise they can over-think it, "omg would be it awkward?" etc ...

Yea I try and meet within a week but I'm just not getting replies or cut off lately.
Reply 9
Yea I try and meet within a week but I'm just not getting replies or cut off lately.

girls are illogical mate. I'd just try and shake it off, and don't take it personally

they can get 'put off/weirded out' by the smallest detail, and this isn't limited to online here.

hot girls can be conceited at times too, like think about, a girl might get 100 msgs and it can inflate her ego, so it's like well it was just 1 guy? there's more .. so often you aren't given the time
Reply 10
I tried a dating site for a while and never got anywhere. I think lots of women on there don't really want to meet up with anyone. One time a girl said she's meet up with me but then changed her mind. She said she wanted to get to know me before meeting in person. I don't know how she intended to do that without meeting me. I mean with dating without the Internet, it's pretty normal to meet someone before you know them. But for some reason people are extra suspicious when it's over the Internet.

I gave up on them. I looked at a pay one, but it was £15 a month and I'm not willing to pay that.
dude i tried it once and was going to meet this chick and heres a twist she got her brother to get to nw me first he also had a account and then she was very weird as one week she say im boring and just leave in middle of conversation and other week she say im funniest person she met and wouldnt let me log off when i tell her i have to go to uni and say talk to me dont go.weird
Reply 12
Online dating is for fags who can't meet people in real life.
Original post by Alpha_Male
Online dating is for fags who can't meet people in real life.

prick
Original post by Anonymous

I've been on the dating sites since 2003 and have only had 3 dates. So I don't know, but what I do know is that Match used to make fake profiles, and even went as far to get employees to go on dates with some of them.
Just google match and fake dates etc. and you should find a few.
They are pretty much a scam most of the time.
Plus Picky people tend to go on sites, except us offcourse :smile:
But some who are wanting a rich man tend to go on there I reckon.

There are some genuine ones but they probably shy to go on dating sites.
Reply 15
prick

He's got a point though. If you met loads of women in your everyday life, why would you go on a dating website? It's why I tried it. But apparently I usually can't meet women online either.
Original post by Psyk
He's got a point though. If you met loads of women in your everyday life, why would you go on a dating website? It's why I tried it. But apparently I usually can't meet women online either.

It's about expanding your chances. I meet women in everyday life but it tends to be in clubs/bars and is only a bit of fun, and not somewhere you can meet a future wife. It's hard to meet women like that in everyday life, especially as my forming/future career is very individual based.
Original post by Anony mouse
Oh Psyk, you have just such a cute little poopsikin face! :colondollar: You don't need to go on a dating website. Just keep meeting women and you'll most likely find someone.

I think he's already found someone! Go on Psyk and Anony mouse.. get that PM sex flowing :wink:
Just give up.

If you give up, you won't come across as desperate. If you don't come across as desperate, you'll find someone eventually.
Original post by Anony mouse
Seriously, don't worry about it. Concentrate on your future yourself. When you become all professional and mature, then POW! That's when you'll become a hit with the girls. Okay, so some pretty boys will get the girls now but trust me, later they'll be no use to us. Girls will search for the more family orientated professional mature reliable type.

I already am professional and mature and virtually have my career sorted.. I'm at that stage now. I don't want to wait till I get too old! And I don't look half bad too. These girls just don't know what they're missing out on I suppose :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending