The Student Room Group

can you please help

write ionic equations to show the oxidation and reduction processes that are going on within these reactions:

a) Cl2 (g) + 2KBr (aq) > 2KCl (aq) + Br2 (g)

b) Mg (s) + 2HCl (aq) > MgCl2 (aq) + H2 (g)

c) Fe(s) + CuSO4 (aq) > FeSO4 (aq) + Cu(s)

thankyou
Reply 1
dont no sorry
Reply 2
a) Cl2 + 2Br- --> Br2 + 2Cl-
b)Mg2+ + 2Cl- --> MgCl2
c) Fe2+ + SO4 2- --> FeSO4

i have no idea if thats right but i thought id try and help
Reply 3
thank you
Reply 4
i realy dont no. im helping my older brother who needs his papers in for tomorrow but his dog was run over this moning and he is in bits. just trying to get a few Q done for him. any help would be brill. thanks, Sarah
a) Cl2 (g) + 2[K]+
- (aq) > 2([K]+[Cl]-) (aq) + Br2 (g) Bromide oxidised to Bromine, Chlorine reduced to Chloride

b) Mg (s) + 2([H]+[Cl]-) (aq) > [Mg]2+2[Cl]- (aq) + H2 (g) Magnesium oxidised, Hydrogen reduced

c) Fe(s) + [Cu]2+[SO4]2- (aq) > [Fe]2+[SO4]2- (aq) + Cu(s) Iron oxidised, Copper reduced, are you sure this one is Iron (II) rather than Iron (III)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
This looks like you are asking someone else to do your homework for you, and it is not going to be me :smile: What you have to do is look for the specator ions, and romove them from the equations. Quote me if you need help doing that
Reply 7
Original post by Beauty Queen
write ionic equations to show the oxidation and reduction processes that are going on within these reactions:

a) Cl2 (g) + 2KBr (aq) > 2KCl (aq) + Br2 (g)

b) Mg (s) + 2HCl (aq) > MgCl2 (aq) + H2 (g)

c) Fe(s) + CuSO4 (aq) > FeSO4 (aq) + Cu(s)

thankyou

Write it as an ionic equation then remove the spectator ions

Quick Reply

Latest