The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
well girls are usually piss poor at pub quizzes so that lends credence to your theory
they always hit out with nonsense answers but we need them for the tv and pop music rounds
Original post by EggmanD
It was definitely a serious a statement and it is a solid fact that if you do Geography you will never know anything about History, ever.

not correct.
WJEC A level geography has allot of work on china's current socio-economic position. And that can only be understood if you know china's history for atleast the past 50 years.
Reply 182
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Correct me if I'm wrong, since my German isn't very good, but isn't that just a general breakdown of the university and subject rankings?

You are wrong, so let me correct you. It is true that looking at the graphs on the left, there are also breakdowns for universities, subjects, etc. but the main point is the gender difference (the entire article is just about this).

On average, women answered 21,5 questions correctly, whereas men got 26,5 right, which is a statistically significant difference. Hence, the survey does conclude that men know more than women, on average, over all questions. Restricting the sample to students, including doctoral students, women got 23,7 right whereas men got 27,9 right.

The article is explicitly pointing out that this difference is surprising, given that women are better in school and university with respect to grades, but it also mentions alternative studies ("Bochumer Wissenstest") which yield the same results. I do not know where you read that women and men have the same level of knowledge, on average.

The results of the study are published in a book, in German, but written by university professors. The "Bochumer Wissenstest" is a purely academically supervised survey, hence I assume the quality to be quite good as well.

Best,
(ij)
Reply 183
This entire thread is absolutely ridiculous.
The reason for the girls you know lacking in general knowledge is because you are surrounding yourself with girls who feel the need to assume a certain mental 'position' in life. Girls like that are probably scared that they'll seem too dominating and masculine if they shout all the right answers at pub quizzes - because the other girls aren't doing it.
If you had any emotional intelligence yourself you would be able to find quality girls who think about life, think about the consequences and reasons for the Iraq War, 9/11, Wikileaks, etc etc etc.
If I didn't wish to surround myself with 'quality' people, I too could be seeped in a community of male idiots who know nothing. There are just as many guys who lack general knowledge - you, being an egotistical bastard determined on undermining the opposite sex - are merely refusing to acknowledge them.
Reply 184
Original post by Jenny_C
Short term memory is about seven seconds long (pretty sure that's general knowledge...). I think you mean perhaps they're good at converting incoming data into long term memory.

I'd be interested to see how you interact with both genders. It sounds like you're far too dismissive of girls when it comes to general knowledge, whereas you'd be more inclined to have an in depth conversation with a guy.

Also, the post by the tsr girl you had a conversation about 9/11 with leads me to believe you're not opposed to twisting the truth to make it support your point.

Well short term memory is very debatable as it may last as long as a week or a bit longer (basic revision being the prime example).
As for conversing with guys and girls, I always give everyone an equal chance, however more often then not I have found girls to be less informed and lacking general knowledge.

As for the girl and the 9/11 post, I did not post the full conversation to save her the embarrassment of looking a little silly. But in the conversation, lets just say there where many 'maybe's, I dunno' from her.

Original post by awe
The reason for the girls you know lacking in general knowledge is because you are surrounding yourself with girls who feel the need to assume a certain mental 'position' in life. Girls like that are probably scared that they'll seem too dominating and masculine if they shout all the right answers at pub quizzes - because the other girls aren't doing it.
If you had any emotional intelligence yourself you would be able to find quality girls who think about life, think about the consequences and reasons for the Iraq War, 9/11, Wikileaks, etc etc etc.
If I didn't wish to surround myself with 'quality' people, I too could be seeped in a community of male idiots who know nothing. There are just as many guys who lack general knowledge - you, being an egotistical bastard determined on undermining the opposite sex - are merely refusing to acknowledge them.

So ridiculous that a survey of 600,000 students was done which reinforces my claim. :rolleyes:
Seriously, learn to read the OP before posting.
Reply 185
Original post by Jimbo1234
Well short term memory is very debatable as it may last as long as a week or a bit longer (basic revision being the prime example).

Actually "short term memory" in the medical/ psychological/ whatever sense is believed to be between 2-7 seconds. You sir, are thinking of "working memory".

I have no other opinions.
The OP has given no credent reason why he should care what girls are like, or how much knowledge they have.
Reply 187

So ridiculous that a survey of 600,000 students was done which reinforces my claim. :rolleyes:
Seriously, learn to read the OP before posting.

Anyone can pull up from google surveys and articles about this subject, don't be a tool.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0820/exams.html etc.

You have to take into account that even if some surveys are supporting the crap that is your argument, there are still many communities in which the feminist movement is not as strong. With gender inequality still on our backs how can you expect all females to suddenly rise up against the masses of sexist pigs? Give us thirty years and you'll be negging your own comment.
Reply 188
What part of ' I have evidence, here it is' do you not understand. Also, seeing that I go to a top 10 uni, I doubt that the majority of girls on TSR are smarter then me, but then you had to say that in order to be able to frantically grasp to some dull bit of hope in order to fulfil your insecurities.

Yes, because you have evidence from a reliable source :rolleyes:
And if you're as intelligent as you're claiming to be, you'd realise how utterly thick you sound in your OP. And how do you know that majority of girls on TSR aren't at top 10 unis? (Not saying they are, and also, just because someone isn't at a top 10 uni doesn't mean they aren't more intelligent than you, I know someone who was intelligent enough to go to Oxford, but didn't go because Oxford didn't have the course they wanted to do). And yes, I'm obviously the insecure one. You're obviously not making this thread because being intelligent is your last hope at proving your "manliness" to yourself. I pity people like you. Grow a pair and think about something more worthwhile to post about.
Original post by (ij)
You are wrong, so let me correct you. It is true that looking at the graphs on the left, there are also breakdowns for universities, subjects, etc. but the main point is the gender difference (the entire article is just about this).

On average, women answered 21,5 questions correctly, whereas men got 26,5 right, which is a statistically significant difference. Hence, the survey does conclude that men know more than women, on average, over all questions. Restricting the sample to students, including doctoral students, women got 23,7 right whereas men got 27,9 right.

The article is explicitly pointing out that this difference is surprising, given that women are better in school and university with respect to grades, but it also mentions alternative studies ("Bochumer Wissenstest") which yield the same results. I do not know where you read that women and men have the same level of knowledge, on average.

The results of the study are published in a book, in German, but written by university professors. The "Bochumer Wissenstest" is a purely academically supervised survey, hence I assume the quality to be quite good as well.

Best,
(ij)

Why thank you. The bit about men and women having equal knowledge might be wrong (as I said, my German is awful and Google translate doesn't quite do it) but I thought there was a paragraph talking about how the differences in questions could have made a difference, saying that women score higher in certain sections, and men score higher in others. It then seemed like there was a little conclusion the men and women will have equal amounts of general knowledge but in different subjects. I'll go back and check it in a bit (my brother needs help with Biology coursework... lol)
Reply 190
Original post by awe

Whilst I do not necessarily dispute the claim that men and women are probably 'equal' in general knowledge levels, what you just posted is an absolute load of crap.
Reply 191
Original post by HEJ92
Yes, because you have evidence from a reliable source :rolleyes:
And if you're as intelligent as you're claiming to be, you'd realise how utterly thick you sound in your OP. And how do you know that majority of girls on TSR aren't at top 10 unis? (Not saying they are, and also, just because someone isn't at a top 10 uni doesn't mean they aren't more intelligent than you, I know someone who was intelligent enough to go to Oxford, but didn't go because Oxford didn't have the course they wanted to do). And yes, I'm obviously the insecure one. You're obviously not making this thread because being intelligent is your last hope at proving your "manliness" to yourself. I pity people like you. Grow a pair and think about something more worthwhile to post about.

Are you seriously claiming that a Professor is not a reliable source? Wow, I think you are the type of girl I am talking about.

Original post by awe
Anyone can pull up from google surveys and articles about this subject, don't be a tool.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0820/exams.html etc.

You have to take into account that even if some surveys are supporting the crap that is your argument, there are still many communities in which the feminist movement is not as strong. With gender inequality still on our backs how can you expect all females to suddenly rise up against the masses of sexist pigs? Give us thirty years and you'll be negging your own comment.

Oh what the hell.
READ the article. It even covers this. :angry:
It goes into detail about girls lacking general knowledge yet they always perform better in education.

I think naming this thread " Girls lack the ability to read" would have been more accurate.

Original post by Captain92
Actually "short term memory" in the medical/ psychological/ whatever sense is believed to be between 2-7 seconds. You sir, are thinking of "working memory".

I have no other opinions.

Go read the evidence and stop being ignorant and in denial.
Reply 192
Go read the evidence and stop being ignorant and in denial.

:biggrin:

I was simply correcting your easily made mistake, good sir.
Feel free to believe that you have more general knowledge than me, it makes not one jot of difference. It may be true, it may not be true.
What is true, is that I don't care.
Reply 193
No, I didn't read the article. My German is limited and translation is awful- additionally, I'm not going to read every single thing people post to support their arguments, especially when on my lap I have endless essays of Conrad HoD criticism, and the 'end' of The Castle (joke for Kafka fans) to finish in the next few hours. It will be difficult, as apparently I don't have the ability to read, but I'm sure I'll manage somehow.

Original post by Kerny
Whilst I do not necessarily dispute the claim that men and women are probably 'equal' in general knowledge levels, what you just posted is an absolute load of crap.

Care to elaborate? When I'm out, and I see several girls all drinking the same drink, all giggling in the same way, it's obvious that they will rarely step out of line unless one of the others beside them will, too. Obviously this applies to a specific 'type' of girls, those that definitely don't pride themselves on having copious amounts of general knowledge. I don't see how that observation is an 'absolute load of crap'. ^^
Reply 194
Original post by awe
Care to elaborate? When I'm out, and I see several girls all drinking the same drink, all giggling in the same way, it's obvious that they will rarely step out of line unless one of the others beside them will, too. Obviously this applies to a specific 'type' of girls, those that definitely don't pride themselves on having copious amounts of general knowledge. I don't see how that observation is an 'absolute load of crap'. ^^

There are plenty of vociferous girls out there. I don't think very many girls these days are afraid of 'stepping out of line.'
Reply 195
Original post by ish90an
Ignoring the actual point (which is about this incredible ability of yours to know if I have/have not made any comments about race). Well played, well played...
If it posts like a kid, and acts like a kid....

Reply 196
Original post by Kerny
There are plenty of vociferous girls out there. I don't think very many girls these days are afraid of 'stepping out of line.'

I don't mean stepping out of line as in being bold or wild - I mean stepping out of the line that is social normality for those girls. Do you think they are being outspoken and loud because they genuinely want to, or because other girls are/it is suddenly deemed as acceptable and fun? /shrug
You like to hurl your abuse don't you? How is that offensive? And don't go 'because it ****ing it is you ****ing ****, go read about it', just tell me, okay?
Reply 198
Original post by awe
I don't mean stepping out of line as in being bold or wild - I mean stepping out of the line that is social normality for those girls. Do you think they are being outspoken and loud because they genuinely want to, or because other girls are/it is suddenly deemed as acceptable and fun? /shrug

Well I would argue that it is perfectly normal in social terms for a girl to be outspoken and loud, there is always a tendency for some guys to get 'laddish' in boisterous situations, but I don't think it particularly puts off loud, outspoken girls. I think some girls would be like simply because that's the way they are.
Reply 199
Men have no respect for women because:

- They wear slaggy clothing and wonder why men stare
- Are boring and have the personality of a brick wall
- Are impossible to please as they want everything yet will give nothing
- Fat

etc.

Posted in another thread. I be trolling :judge:

Latest

Trending

Trending