The Student Room Group

What makes you donate to a busker?

Just wondering what makes you more likely to donate to a busker?

Is it the type of instruement? Is it when people do something you've never heard done before? An unusual instrument? If the person ot attractive? If they are young? Is they make you smile?

Another reason?

and hopefully I can improve my donations :smile:

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

The more extreme their appearance is the more likely someone will donate... SEXYYY (Y).... Middle (N)......REALLY UGLY (Y)
Reply 2
I was wearing a beret and there was a guy playing an accordian who nodded and smiled at me. Lol, it's the little things.
Reply 3
Just whether I feel as though they're good or not.
If they're more interesting than some guy playing cover versions on a guitar. Or not those people who try to sell you CDs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't, unless they are amazing
Reply 6
I give money to the ones who don't play along to stupid backing tracks, produce a lovely sound on the instrument they're playing or have a nice voice, and sing nice songs :smile:

NEVER bagpipes, the American Indians who sell pan pipe CDs, or the man who makes out he's really good at the trumpet and isn't (these are all people who frequent my town)
There was an old blind guy who would whistle in my local town. I've never heard anyone whistle so good. He deserved every penny.
Reply 8
when they play a song i like... not enough buskers plays the songs i like...
Original post by Cicerao
I was wearing a beret and there was a guy playing an accordian who nodded and smiled at me. Lol, it's the little things.

Ok I shall look out for beret wearers and nod and smile at them :wink:
I LOVE BUSKERS! I really do.... I love seeing people just letting the world hear their music....it makes me feel so happy.

I love the way they create a beautiful atmosphere in the street and make it flow....they make everything seem liek it's supposed to be, like clockwork to the rhythm and music.

I don't always give them money, but I listen as long as possible (if they're really good and make me feel buzzy or create an atmosphere) I might smile at them...

....if I can I'll give them a bit of money too :smile:
Original post by purple_starlight
I LOVE BUSKERS! I really do.... I love seeing people just letting the world hear their music....it makes me feel so happy.

I love the way they create a beautiful atmosphere in the street and make it flow....they make everything seem liek it's supposed to be, like clockwork to the rhythm and music.

I don't always give them money, but I listen as long as possible (if they're really good and make me feel buzzy or create an atmosphere) I might smile at them...

....if I can I'll give them a bit of money too :smile:

Awesome description, you put into words how it feels for me :smile: Also love busking ahaha even though I don't sing (I play the didgeridoo !)
Reply 12
If they're playing something which I find impressive and they're not being pretentious.
Original post by my_username_was_taken
Awesome description, you put into words how it feels for me :smile: Also love busking ahaha even though I don't sing (I play the didgeridoo !)

hehe....well....a lot of my friends think it's weird...lol....and they're bemused how whenever we're out in town I stop for ages at the buskers to listen....but it's so beautiful to me....it's raw music from the heart of the musician....and they have to be so brave to perform on the street.

YOU PLAY THE DIDGERIDOO!!! WOW!!!!

Do you busk with your didgeridoo?
1. Charming
2. Sometimes throw jokes
3. Play interesting songs
4. Unique, have its own style, not try to pose artists
When they're giving stickers out to donators haha :') I'm in a brass band and we had the idea of giving stickers out, and no joke, our income has literally go up by 70%, which is really good, and much more than we spent on the stickers!
Original post by purple_starlight
hehe....well....a lot of my friends think it's weird...lol....and they're bemused how whenever we're out in town I stop for ages at the buskers to listen....but it's so beautiful to me....it's raw music from the heart of the musician....and they have to be so brave to perform on the street.

YOU PLAY THE DIDGERIDOO!!! WOW!!!!

Do you busk with your didgeridoo?

Your friends are weird lol! Not appreciating raw music :/ They probably go home and watch the X Factor....and think it's real music lol :angry:

Yeah I play the didgeridoo and nope I haven't busked yet with my didgeridoo as I have a very cheap one to practice on and doesn't sound too good and i'm not as good as I want to be yet! I'm getting a decent one for christmas (fingers crossed it gets here on time) and hopefully next year i'l be busking and then when I get to university take it wqith me and busk there ahaha :biggrin:

Why's that so amazing haha? Would you give me money lol :biggrin:

Love the didgeridoo, such a unique sound and the oldest instrument in the world apparently. ALso, I don't know anyone my age who plays it which I love as it's not following the crowd, doing what I wanna do because i'm passionate about it and not caring what others think :smile:

Ahahah sorry I've just noticed my post is long, but I got carried away and you sound cool!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Gemma :)!
When they're giving stickers out to donators haha :') I'm in a brass band and we had the idea of giving stickers out, and no joke, our income has literally go up by 70%, which is really good, and much more than we spent on the stickers!

Wow really haha, what do the stickers say? And do you like have a sign up? "free sticker if you donate" lol? I presume it';s for kids lol?

Awesome idea haha :biggrin:
Talkative between songs, unusual instrument, good at the instrument - appearance doesn't matter (unless it's truly an extreme, say they had no face).
Reply 19
if someone is old and they appear to be a genuinely nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending