The Student Room Group

Using the SWOT Analysis

I have to do a presentation and come up with a reccommendation.

Has anyone else used the SWOT analysis to justify their answer?
Reply 1
On?

How are we meant to know Strengths Weaknesses Opportunities Threats if we have no idea what the product/service is?
Reply 2
I've had bosses who keep conducting SWOT analysis, and IMO it has strong limitations and should be used sparingly and cautiously.
Reply 3
Bit brief on what you have to do..

But im only in undergraduate first year and used SWOT a lot, especially during A level.
Pretty simple to use really, what help do you need?
Reply 4
Easiest way to analyse it so yeah
Reply 5
I cant really give more information, but as I dont know what the case study is yet! :tongue:

I meant would you do a SWOT analysis on your recommendation? So the strengths/weaknesses of your choice and the opportunities/threats it may cause, so the interviewer cant really poke holes in your decision?
Reply 6
Original post by AlH123
I cant really give more information, but as I dont know what the case study is yet! :tongue:

I meant would you do a SWOT analysis on your recommendation? So the strengths/weaknesses of your choice and the opportunities/threats it may cause, so the interviewer cant really poke holes in your decision?

If you're doing a powerpoint, just do something like the following:

1) Front cover

2) Introduction of task

3) Company/product brief

4) Strengths

5) Weaknesses

6) Opportunities

7) Threats

8) Finances/business plans/future

9) Conclusion

10) End and Any Questions

Something around 10 slides, so you can talk about it and just use a pointer or finger to point stuff out on the slide. Make it all pretty with pictures and animations, just put the work in and you'll get a good presentation.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by FattyInNeed

Something around 10 slides, so you can talk about it and just use a pointer or finger to point stuff out on the slide. Make it all pretty with pictures and animations, just put the work in and you'll get a good presentation.

Pictures and animations make a very unprofessional presentation and unless they are graphs etc relevant to it, I wouldnt advise to use them, just saying :smile:

Ideal presentation (without graphs etc) Is fairly short bullet points or sentences and the presenter has remembered the knowledge or atleast has notes in front of him to read/remind himself from, but this does not mean they should read from the notes.

Keep as little information on slides as possible, only the main facts, and learn your notes so you can talk about it off by heart.
Reply 8
Original post by Tommyjw
Pictures and animations make a very unprofessional presentation and unless they are graphs etc relevant to it, I wouldnt advise to use them, just saying :smile:

Ideal presentation (without graphs etc) Is fairly short bullet points or sentences and the presenter has remembered the knowledge or atleast has notes in front of him to read/remind himself from, but this does not mean they should read from the notes.

Keep as little information on slides as possible, only the main facts, and learn your notes so you can talk about it off by heart.

I sort of meant graphs, but the odd pictures of (relevant) stuff is fine too, imo. :tongue:

Plus annimations look impressive to me - they don't have to be swirl-de-twirl, just like one bullet point after the other, rather than all appearing at once, if you know what I mean.

But yep OP, stick to bullet points! :smile:
Original post by i.am.lost
IMO it has strong limitations and should be used sparingly and cautiously.

What would you suggest instead?
Original post by ProStacker
What would you suggest instead?

The problem with SWOT analysis is that it can ignore very obvious things that one should be focusing on and lead you to a sub-optimal conclusion, and its qualitative nature is inherently subject to bias and pejoration, especially if you're basing the SWOTs on collected information from internal stakeholders. Issues also tend to be viewed in isolation with no regard for the broader context. Don't get me wrong, it's good in some cases because it's quick and easy to understand, but these severe limitations would make me reluctant to use it.

A more focused approach is STEEPLE analysis. Personally, I advocate the SCORE methodology, which extends SWOT analysis with an emphasis on overall effectiveness that is lacking in SWOT.

A different approach that I prefer to use is decision tree analysis. In my opinion, this is superlative to the SWOT/SCORE approach because it is a more integrated approach that makes clear how different elements relate to each other, and it shows you the broad scope of what you should prepare for by projecting all expected outcomes. This is far more time-consuming but the results it yields makes it a firm favourite of mine (though I would not recommend presenting complex decision trees to high-level management).

I'm sure there are many other alternatives, and I've come across quite a few more, but these are ones that I routinely use.
Reply 11
Original post by FattyInNeed
If you're doing a powerpoint, just do something like the following:

1) Front cover

2) Introduction of task

3) Company/product brief

4) Strengths

5) Weaknesses

6) Opportunities

7) Threats

8) Finances/business plans/future

9) Conclusion

10) End and Any Questions

Thank you :smile: This helped me and a friend in PSHE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending