The Student Room Group

Do you think Pastor Terry Jones should be banned from the UK? (POLL)

Poll

Do you think Pastor Terry Jones should be banned from the UK?

Terry Jones (the Qur'an burning pastor) wishes to visit England to give a speech to the EDL (English Defence League) about Islam (negative speech obviously). However, Theresa May is considering banning him from entering the UK.
What do you think?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it'll incite violence and hes scum.
Let someone in to spread hate and incite violence or moan about the idea of freespeech being ruinned
Reply 3
Obviously not, people should be able to say whatever they want. **** this. If you're that influenced by "hate speech" after listening to some ****, enough to change your views or go and do something silly, you're a moron.
Reply 4
Never. Never. Never. His ideas might not be popular, they might insult people, they might be controversial, but there is no justification for curtailing free speech simply becuase someone's opinions are considered extreme by the majority (or minority). Regardless of whether he defames Muslims, Christians, Jews, Blacks, Asians, Whites, Buddhists or Communists, democracy should protect his right to express his opinion, for a freedom of speech that only protects popular and non-controversial opinions is no freedom of speech, it is just a sham.
Freedom of Speech.
Im sorry, but May will probably ban him citing hatred as a reason. But the extremist Muslims here can call for the death of British Soldiers or burn the Union Jack or something and nothing happens to them. Tis rather unfair.
Just because people dont agree with his views dont mean that he should be banned. I dont agree with his views and I think he is rather extremist btw.
Reply 6
No I do not think we should. I may not agree with what he says but it is not the job of the government to ban people just because we do not like what they have to say. Next you might as well ban the BNP.
No he shouldn't be banned and neither should Zakir Naik.

Freedom of speech ftw.
Reply 8
Original post by beesbees
Obviously not, people should be able to say whatever they want. **** this. If you're that influenced by "hate speech" after listening to some ****, enough to change your views or go and do something silly, you're a moron.

what?! why am i a moron?! i didnt say anything for or against him in this thread! what did i do?!
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
No I do not think we should. I may not agree with what he says but it is not the job of the government to ban people just because we do not like what they have to say. Next you might as well ban the BNP.

Exactly

Banning him would be no different to banning Muslims because there is a 0.000000000000000000000000000001% chance of them being a terrorist
Reply 10
Restricting a persons right to free movement and right to free speech so that ideas don't get 'spread'.

Bloody authoritarians, they get everywhere.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
If we banned all hateful people then there would be very few Muslims in this country - bearing in mind the homophobia and xenophobia that is common among Muslims.
To be honest I'm between on the issue. More towards not banning him.

At once I agree how important freedom of speech is. If he was doing something hugely public and active which was obviously going to stir up hate, maybe there's a point in banning him, but I think it's a step too far.

Remember that the Westboro Baptist Church hold extreme views against homosexuality, and all members Fred Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper are banned from entering the UK. Given that they picket funerals and sensitive events, I'm happy with that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by qasidb
what?! why am i a moron?! i didnt say anything for or against him in this thread! what did i do?!

They were talking about the people who are effected by it, not you.
Nope, he seems like a moron but I do genuinely want to hear what he has to say
Original post by jakemittle
Freedom of Speech.
Im sorry, but May will probably ban him citing hatred as a reason. But the extremist Muslims here can call for the death of British Soldiers or burn the Union Jack or something and nothing happens to them. Tis rather unfair.Just because people dont agree with his views dont mean that he should be banned. I dont agree with his views and I think he is rather extremist btw.

This.

What a disgrace that is. Absolute disgrace. How ****ing dare they spew out hatred for the country who is housing and providing a decent living standard them, considering most of the extremists are on the doll aswell.

When people are speaking against islam, it's hatred. When muslims speak out against everybody else, which is an understatement, it's freedom of speech.

*******s.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Yes, ban the ****er. I couldn't give two ****s about free speech when someone's views are simply ignorant and intended to spark hatred towards other people. The EDL should all be shot as well...
No, the guy is an absolute penis, but we have freedom of speech in this country.
Reply 18
They banned Farrakhan, they'll more than likely do the same with him.
Original post by qasidb
Terry Jones (the Qur'an burning pastor) wishes to visit England to give a speech to the EDL (English Defence League) about Islam (negative speech obviously). However, Theresa May is considering banning him from entering.
What do you think?

Aslamalecom Brother,

Let him come in, he'll get beaten up if he does anything again.

Inshallah, he'll lose...............but anyways, look at him, angry ugly looking guy, did you know that he has a Hulk Hogan mustache?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending