The Student Room Group

What makes you donate to a busker?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinshed
if someone is old and they appear to be a genuinely nice

So you only give to old people? WHy may I ask?
Simply because I enjoyed hearing them play, for whatever reason that might be. That happens very rarely here, but the streets of most other European countries seem to be littered with people I would describe as amazing musicians.
Reply 22
Probably the music :dontknow:
Reply 23
I never give money to buskers, they annoy me.
Original post by my_username_was_taken
Wow really haha, what do the stickers say? And do you like have a sign up? "free sticker if you donate" lol? I presume it';s for kids lol?

Awesome idea haha :biggrin:

Ours have a photo of Father Christmas playing a trumpet, with "thank you for donating to _______" (don't want people knowing who I am lol) underneath it :')

There's a lot of people including adults who will donate just for a sticker :P & you don't have to sign up to anything, it's literally just a bucket shake while we play. & we earn every penny, it's bloody cold !!
if they're playing really well, in Newport there's this guy with an accordion and he can't even play it, it's shocking.
Original post by ColdVein

Why do they annoy you? :s-smilie: DO you prefer silence?? :confused:
Your friends are weird lol! Not appreciating raw music :/ They probably go home and watch the X Factor....and think it's real music lol :angry:

Yeah I play the didgeridoo and nope I haven't busked yet with my didgeridoo as I have a very cheap one to practice on and doesn't sound too good and i'm not as good as I want to be yet! I'm getting a decent one for christmas (fingers crossed it gets here on time) and hopefully next year i'l be busking and then when I get to university take it wqith me and busk there ahaha :biggrin:

Why's that so amazing haha? Would you give me money lol :biggrin:

Love the didgeridoo, such a unique sound and the oldest instrument in the world apparently. ALso, I don't know anyone my age who plays it which I love as it's not following the crowd, doing what I wanna do because i'm passionate about it and not caring what others think :smile:

Ahahah sorry I've just noticed my post is long, but I got carried away and you sound cool!

hehe....they're not fans of xfactor really....but one of my friends is seiously too obssessed with Disney Channel music....eek lol

It's so amazing because the Digeridoo is such a cool instrument to be able to play because it's so unique and it looks quite hard to do. I tried it once....and really failed ...hehe.....xD it came out like "humm" (just me making the sound "humm" at one end of the digeridoo)

Busking whillst at uni sounds like a good idea....I've loved the thought of going to open mic nights at bars and cafes.....I've never been brave enough to go though....maybe when at uni I'll try that and busking xD

n'awww and the last senence made me smile ...hehe....I sound cool!! YAY *smiles and dances around joyfully in a very un-cool sort of way*

sorry for long post....you sound cool too!

:s-smilie: You confuse me! .....Do you hate music??

*very confused looking face*
Generally i give to buskers if their music sounds particularly good or they're playing something I really like, although i don't normally donate to people who just sing with a guitar- most of the time they just sound a bit boring to me... But apart from that I'd really like to know what makes people give to buskers, since i busk- anything special i can do for when i go out next weekend? (playing flute if it makes a difference)
Original post by Aleeece123
Generally i give to buskers if their music sounds particularly good or they're playing something I really like, although i don't normally donate to people who just sing with a guitar- most of the time they just sound a bit boring to me... But apart from that I'd really like to know what makes people give to buskers, since i busk- anything special i can do for when i go out next weekend? (playing flute if it makes a difference)

I heard that flashing your boobs when you get a donation works well.

Have a sign saying "will flash for money"

Strangely you usually get more donations off older men :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Because I've done it before and gone a whole day getting only 50p, hence I tend to give it if most people seem to be ignoring that one for some reason.
I generally don't but there was this drummer in Birmingham New Street on Friday outside HSBC who was AMAZING. So I gave him 36p.
Reply 33
Why do they annoy you? :s-smilie: DO you prefer silence?? :confused:

Original post by purple_starlight
:s-smilie: You confuse me! .....Do you hate music??

*very confused looking face*

If I want to listen to music I'll use my mp3 player.
The thing with buskers is that I have no choice but to listen to them, irrespective of whether or not I actually want to.
If I want to listen to music I'll use my mp3 player.
The thing with buskers is that I have no choice but to listen to them, irrespective of whether or not I actually want to.

If you don't want to listen to them you walk away as fast as possible ...

I'm curious now......Do you mind the music playing in shops then?
If it sounds good and I enjoy it then I will donate. Doesn't matter about what the person is wearing or the instrument they are playing (to a certain extent that is!)
i donate to buskers and trampy beggar people because it makes them smile, and i like to like to know ive made somebody' day a little bit better :smile: X
Reply 37
Original post by purple_starlight
If you don't want to listen to them you walk away as fast as possible ...

I'm curious now......Do you mind the music playing in shops then?

Lol I do. I just prefer the idea of musicians performing in a specific place that I can go to if I want to hear them or avoid if I don't want to hear them, in my experience buskers are set up in tube stations that I have to use.

Music in shops also annoys me, although it tends to be quieter.
The generic "wonderwall" buskers annoy me.

I don't tend to donate money though.
Lol I do. I just prefer the idea of musicians performing in a specific place that I can go to if I want to hear them or avoid if I don't want to hear them, in my experience buskers are set up in tube stations that I have to use.

Music in shops also annoys me, although it tends to be quieter.

And do you not respect the fact busking is a suprisingly lot of people's livelihood and they may not have other ways of making money?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending