The Student Room Group

Why was I given such a high offer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adam0311
Unless you plan on going IB, don't see that being much of a difference. I imagine you still are going to go CS, in which case +math isn't going to do anything. If you read the article I posted, or any of the ones you posted--it said the biggest problem within CS is that people are overqualified and firms are willing to take self-taught programmers.

Do yourself a favor and go engineering.

That's why I chose the foundation year at a university like Sussex/Lough its got less emphasis on actual programming languages and applied topics like 3D modeling (which anyone can learn out of university) but more emphasis on mathematical concepts and problem solving related content.

Nottingham Trent is a good example of this.
Original post by oh my ms. Coffey
that's why i chose the foundation year at a university like sussex/lough its got less emphasis on actual programming languages and applied topics like 3d modeling (which anyone can learn out of university) but more emphasis on mathematical concepts and problem solving related content.

Nottingham trent is a good example of this.

who the frick's the babe with the red hair?!
Original post by buyingtheticket
Hmmmm I'm not sure. I was given lower than standard offers for two of my offers. What type of school do you go to? I think my offers were lower because my school sucked...

My school used to be independent a couple of years ago but now it's an academy...we do get very good GCSE results (98% A*-C last year) though- I'd be pretty irked if that had anything to do with my offer!
Original post by lechaton-x
My school used to be independent a couple of years ago but now it's an academy...we do get very good GCSE results (98% A*-C last year) though- I'd be pretty irked if that had anything to do with my offer!

Yeah my school's GCSE pass rate was around 50% so that may explain it...Ah well work hard and meet your offer!
Reply 44
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
That's why I chose the foundation year at a university like Sussex/Lough its got less emphasis on actual programming languages and applied topics like 3D modeling (which anyone can learn out of university) but more emphasis on mathematical concepts and problem solving related content.

Nottingham Trent is a good example of this.

You're doing a foundation because you're not good enough to get the grades for a real degree course. That's fine, some people mess up A levels (like me) and a foundation route is a good way to get into a full degree. However, it isn't fine when you start ripping into someone who has got an offer from a better university for a full degree course. In all honesty I hope you don't get offers if you think Arabic is an 'easy' degree... have you ever even seen the Arabic alphabet?!
Original post by Wookie42
You're doing a foundation because you're not good enough to get the grades for a real degree course. That's fine, some people mess up A levels (like me) and a foundation route is a good way to get into a full degree. However, it isn't fine when you start ripping into someone who has got an offer from a better university for a full degree course. In all honesty I hope you don't get offers if you think Arabic is an 'easy' degree... have you ever even seen the Arabic alphabet?!

Im good enough for a degree in Comp Sci, just not one that wants AAA. It looks like i'll be getting 5/5 offers too. Sorry, but have you seen the Greek alphabet (used in science)?
Its not exactly science.

Do you study Arabic by any chance?
Original post by happyfeet*
Do you study Arabic by any chance?

No, Maths and Physics.
No, Maths and Physics.

Ah, that explains.

EDIT: Arabic is a hard subject to study, in fact, it's very hard. And that's coming from an Arab.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ah, that explains.

Physics has enabled us to land on other planets, Arabic enabled the Qu'ran.
Physics has enabled us to land on other planets, Arabic enabled the Qu'ran.

That doesn't make Arabic any easier than Physics. Physics may have improved people's lives practically, but Arabic is amongst the hardest languages in the world which has deepened people's intellect and contributed largely to the world of literature.

But that's besides the point anyway, we're talking about how easy Arabic is as a subject to study. It's not easy. It's hard. You haven't studied it so you wouldn't know.
That doesn't make Arabic any easier than Physics. Physics may have improved people's lives practically, but Arabic is amongst the hardest languages in the world which has deepened people's intellect and contributed largely to the world of literature.

But that's besides the point anyway, we're talking about how easy Arabic is as a subject to study. It's not easy. It's hard. You haven't studied it so you wouldn't know.

Its not a science, it cant be that hard.
Reply 52
Im good enough for a degree in Comp Sci, just not one that wants AAA. It looks like i'll be getting 5/5 offers too. Sorry, but have you seen the Greek alphabet (used in science)?

Nottingham Trent? AAA? Definitely sounds correct instead of BBC :rolleyes: I'm sure you've applied to other places, however not only is CS not that competitive, but also foundation courses are easy peasy to get onto.

Not only is your example of the Greek alphabet stupid, but also completely irrelevant. There are aspects of science and of language that are equally difficult - you can debate this for hours if you like. However to be honest you're missing the point - I only posted in this thread due to your ridiculously arrogant attitude to the whole thing. The fact is you're trying to put someone down for doing a degree at a very good university when you've applied to worse places for a foundation course. Looking again, Loughborough only want 200 points for a foundation course. That's like... DDC or something.

Please let me stress that I have nothing against those intending on doing foundation courses, don't jump to conclusions.
Nottingham Trent? AAA? Definitely sounds correct instead of BBC :rolleyes: I'm sure you've applied to other places, however not only is CS not that competitive, but also foundation courses are easy peasy to get onto.

Not only is your example of the Greek alphabet stupid, but also completely irrelevant. There are aspects of science and of language that are equally difficult - you can debate this for hours if you like. However to be honest you're missing the point - I only posted in this thread due to your ridiculously arrogant attitude to the whole thing. The fact is you're trying to put someone down for doing a degree at a very good university when you've applied to worse places for a foundation course. Looking again, Loughborough only want 200 points for a foundation course. That's like... DDC or something.

Please let me stress that I have nothing against those intending on doing foundation courses, don't jump to conclusions.

Sussex and Lough, Sussex is for a maths degree though. Its on the same level as an Engineering foundation year in terms of required grades (Which I could do if I wanted)
A C in maths wouldnt be that impressive, a C in MEI maths (One of the, if not the hardest exam board) from someone who was told they'd never be able to cope with A-level maths however is.
Reply 54
Sussex and Lough, Sussex is for a maths degree though. Its on the same level as an Engineering foundation year in terms of required grades (Which I could do if I wanted)
A C in maths wouldnt be that impressive, a C in MEI maths (One of the, if not the hardest exam board) from someone who was told they'd never be able to cope with A-level maths however is.

So no where near ABB then? Didn't think so.
So no where near ABB then? Didn't think so.

Got a B in C2, could possibly get a B in C3 too. My C1 maths lets me down though as I never was in a top set so we didnt really do higher maths material for GCSE (what C1 is based on)
(edited 13 years ago)
I had an interview for Arabic (which is a very uncompetitive department) at Manchester and it went so so well. I really clicked with the professor and he said that he would recommend an offer of BBC to admissions, which is their lowest offer. I was so pleased by this, however- he did ensure that I knew that this was a merely a recommendation to the admissions team and it could vary when I offically got my offer through on UCAS (he gave me a place on the spot).

Anyway- it came through this morning and they want ABB! Which makes it along the same lines as one of my top choices. So gutted as I really wanted Manchester as insurance :frown: does anyone have any ideas to why admissions would offer me the highest they could have demanded from me? My grades and predictions were good, I was complimented on my personal statement and my interview went so well.

Also clueless for what I'm going to do next as I don't think I will have a very good insurance that I wouldn't mind going to if everything goes tits up in August.

Sorry for a a rather belated reply.
An admissions tutor at Nottingham warned me about this. Certain Universities tend to give out higher than expected offers in the hope to be put down as the firm choice, but then accept you anyway even if you miss their requirements by a couple of grades.
At the end of the day, they want you there, particularly on such an undersubscribed course. Don't fall for their trickery, stick it down as your insurance if that's what you want, and then if you miss your conditional, contact Manchester, and they're bound to let you in with lower grades, especially if they were so impressed with you during interview.

Oh come on, they don't give a **** about the hardest exam board- especially as people manage to get As on your 'hard' exam board.

Original post by Van_der_Waals
Sorry for a a rather belated reply.
An admissions tutor at Nottingham warned me about this. Certain Universities tend to give out higher than expected offers in the hope to be put down as the firm choice, but then accept you anyway even if you miss their requirements by a couple of grades.
At the end of the day, they want you there, particularly on such an undersubscribed course. Don't fall for their trickery, stick it down as your insurance if that's what you want, and then if you miss your conditional, contact Manchester, and they're bound to let you in with lower grades, especially if they were so impressed with you during interview.

I was hoping to do this :frown: but it's a little bit risky. Might go for it though tbh, even with the tuition fees hike- I'd rather go somewhere I really want to go and that's Manchester or Exeter, not Leeds. Thanks! Repped :smile: x
Oh come on, they don't give a **** about the hardest exam board- especially as people manage to get As on your 'hard' exam board.

I was hoping to do this :frown: but it's a little bit risky. Might go for it though tbh, even with the tuition fees hike- I'd rather go somewhere I really want to go and that's Manchester or Exeter, not Leeds. Thanks! Repped :smile: x

An A grade on Exexcel Maths is the same as an E on MEI maths, Im just sayin'.
Reply 59

Have you considered another course? Clearly math and science is not your forte.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending