The Student Room Group

I've just been scammed at a cash point :(

I went to Tesco and thought I'd check my balance before I went in. I put my card in, entered my pin then realised the card had been rejected. I put it back in and it wouldn't come out, then this man came up behind me and told me the same thing had happened to him and re-entering my pin and pressing cancel would get me back my card.

I didn't re-enter my pin but went to report it to Tesco. I then realised how dodgy this man sounded (reentering pin, wtf?) and cancelled my card, but a check at my online banking after cancelling showed that they managed to spend all but £20 of my money :mad:

A look online shows that they used something called a lebanese loop which is basically an envelope put in the card slot which can then be pulled out. Stupid thing is, now I think back on it I remember feeling something a bit odd at the card entry thing, like strips of paper sticking out. I should be more careful :frown:

Just posting this thread to warn others! Make sure you check that you can't feel anything where you put the card and be REALLY careful when entering your PIN!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you contacted the police yet? Tesco have quite good CCTV at their stores usually. Contacted your bank too?
Reply 2
Original post by ily_em
I went to Tesco and thought I'd check my balance before I went in. I put my card in, entered my pin then realised the card had been rejected. I put it back in and it wouldn't come out, then this man came up behind me and told me the same thing had happened to him and re-entering my pin and pressing cancel would get me back my card.

I didn't re-enter my pin but went to report it to Tesco. I then realised how dodgy this man sounded (reentering pin, wtf?) and cancelled my card, but a check at my online banking after cancelling showed that they managed to spend all but £20 of my money :mad:

A look online shows that they used something called a lebanese loop which is basically an envelope put in the card slot which can then be pulled out. Stupid thing is, now I think back on it I remember feeling something a bit odd at the card entry thing, like strips of paper sticking out. I should be more careful :frown:

Just posting this thread to warn others! Make sure you check that you can't feel anything where you put the card and be REALLY careful when entering your PIN!

Ahh that's not cool!
How much was taken?
Reply 3
Original post by TravelGuru
Have you contacted the police yet? Tesco have quite good CCTV at their stores usually. Contacted your bank too?

Yeh :smile: Not really looking for advice just want to warn people to be really careful! I contacted the police and told them what the guy looked like, and went back to Tesco to tell them. The guy in Tesco told me that he's always pulling those loop things out of the machine :rolleyes: so they know it goes on! They have CCTV too but not sure it'll help cos I think they guy was wearing a hood.

I've been trying to get hold of my bank's fraud department but can't so going to go to the bank tomorrow - I want my money back!
Reply 4
Original post by thecdon
Ahh that's not cool!
How much was taken?

£1,150 :colondollar:

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...
Reply 5
I remember a police show where they demonstrated that loop.
Sorry to hear about this. If anybody tries to make conversation with you at an ATM about 'problems with the machine' then the odds are they are a scammer.
Reply 7
Oh poor you, I hope you get the money back :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ily_em
Yeh :smile: Not really looking for advice just want to warn people to be really careful! I contacted the police and told them what the guy looked like, and went back to Tesco to tell them. The guy in Tesco told me that he's always pulling those loop things out of the machine :rolleyes: so they know it goes on! They have CCTV too but not sure it'll help cos I think they guy was wearing a hood.

I've been trying to get hold of my bank's fraud department but can't so going to go to the bank tomorrow - I want my money back!

Oh. Well, this technique is quite well known, I would be suprised if many people haven't heard of it before, but good luck with getting your money back.
Original post by ily_em
£1,150 :colondollar:

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...

Wow that's not cool. Hope you get it back! that must suck. I'd probably be crying for a week by now.
Reply 10
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Sorry to hear about this. If anybody tries to make conversation with you at an ATM about 'problems with the machine' then the odds are they are a scammer.

Original post by TravelGuru
Oh. Well, this technique is quite well known, I would be suprised if many people haven't heard of it before, but good luck with getting your money back.

Original post by Genocidal
I remember a police show where they demonstrated that loop.

I wish I'd watched that show! I'm not very clued up on cash machine scams :frown: And feel stupid now. :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by ily_em

I'm really sorry to hear about this, considering how paranoid I am about this type of trickery/scam.

Are you covered and whatnot by your bank?
Holy ****!
i do hope you get your money back!
Reply 13
Original post by Nayberay
I'm really sorry to hear about this, considering how paranoid I am about this type of trickery/scam.

Are you covered and whatnot by your bank?

Hopefully! My mum works for a different bank (Barclays) and she says they always pay back for this kind of thing so I hope Natwest will do the same! I did cancel ASAP so I guess that'll be in my favour...
Reply 14
Original post by Diaz89
lol I bet that put you off ben & Jerrys :p:

I'm being stalked :ninja:

I will never eat Ben&Jerry's again as that was the only reason I went to Tesco...
Reply 15
Original post by ily_em
Hopefully! My mum works for a different bank (Barclays) and she says they always pay back for this kind of thing so I hope Natwest will do the same! I did cancel ASAP so I guess that'll be in my favour...

Well all the best and I hope you can recover your money. :hugs:
Reply 16
they showed this on "the real hustle"
best show ever

that's sucks big time, is there anything you can do to salvage the situation?
Reply 17
Well I've never heard of this before, thanks for the heads up. I only hope you get it all sorted out. :sadnod:
Reply 18
Original post by ily_em
I'm being stalked :ninja:

I will never eat Ben&Jerry's again as that was the only reason I went to Tesco...

:lol:

:ninja:

No seriously, the bank should compensate you and I'm sure they'll investigate the cash machine where you went and you didn't do anything wrong anyway.
I've never heard of this loop.

Ahh scary I would have fell for this as well :frown:

I hope it works out for you, there must be something that can be done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending