The Student Room Group

I got revenge today ... and it feels great. Is that bad?

I was bullied a lot in school. A few days ago, I found out that my worst bully was working the tills during specific known hours at the local supermarket ... so I decided to pay her a visit.

There was something I wanted to buy anyway for £20, so I decided to find it in the smallest change I had and buy it there from this girl. As luck would have it, I had two thousand pennies* ... so I gathered them up, went and got this item, went to her till and presented my bag of two thousand pennies.

She called her manager over and, in the conversation that followed, I said, "So let me get this straight for when I tell the papers - you're going to refuse to accept legal tender?" In the end, the manager just told this girl to count them, and it felt great watching her count all two thousand of them.

Am I mental? Who the hell collects and counts two thousand pennies, then carries them around (they're quite heavy) and then gets such satisfaction from watching someone else have to count them out to make sure there are indeed two thousand of them?

Is it bad that I felt so vindicated after this incident?

* Well, I didn't have all two thousand ... but various friends and family contributed, and I paid them in large coins, so they were happy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You win. At LIFE.

It would have been embarassing for you if you'd been a penny short. The tables would have turned!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Nah but I wouldn't call that revenge in my books. Just a minor inconvinience.
when i read the title i thought you'd done something amazing
thats not revenge, revenge is getting a sex tape of them or whatever

but meh, whatever floats your boat
Reply 4
Original post by Bobifier
You win. At LIFE.

It would have been embarassing for you if you'd been a penny short. The tables would have turned!

That did occur to me, but I made sure. Multiple times.
Reply 5

Congratulations, you made me proud.
Reply 6
This might be a bad time to point out that while you were spending your time, they were getting paid.

Time for a rethink maybe.
Good revenge. It would have been better if you punched her in the face at the end and ran out the shop singing.
:rofl:
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I was bullied a lot in school. A few days ago, I found out that my worst bully was working the tills during specific known hours at the local supermarket ... so I decided to pay her a visit.

There was something I wanted to buy anyway for £20, so I decided to find it in the smallest change I had and buy it there from this girl. As luck would have it, I had two thousand pennies* ... so I gathered them up, went and got this item, went to her till and presented my bag of two thousand pennies.

She called her manager over and, in the conversation that followed, I said, "So let me get this straight for when I tell the papers - you're going to refuse to accept legal tender?" In the end, the manager just told this girl to count them, and it felt great watching her count all two thousand of them.

Am I mental? Who the hell collects and counts two thousand pennies, then carries them around (they're quite heavy) and then gets such satisfaction from watching someone else have to count them out to make sure there are indeed two thousand of them?

* Well, I didn't have all two thousand ... but various friends and family contributed, and I paid them in large coins, so they were happy.

As it happens, the shop has no obligation to accept that amount, and indeed there is a maximum usable as legal tender (20p). Extra 'win'?
Should of knocked them on the floor after she finished counting and grabbed your item while walking out the shop victorious.
Reply 11
Original post by Moggs
This might be a bad time to point out that while you were spending your time, they were getting paid.

Time for a rethink maybe.

Oh, that doesn't bother me. I still had to watch them count two thousand pennies in ten minutes (they weren't too smart, never were :wink:) - still felt pretty good.
Reply 12

Hahaha amazing. No you should not feel bad, karma is a bitch, eye for an eye, whatever!
Reply 13
would have been better if you'd paid with a £50 note and then said as she gave you your change "oh isn't it funny you serving me here"
Reply 14
Original post by Prudy
As it happens, the shop has no obligation to accept that amount, and indeed there is a maximum usable as legal tender (20p). Extra 'win'?

Oh, I think so - I was really just bluffing through it all, rather reckoned there would be no legal obligation for them to accept two thousand pennies.

I have no idea what they did with them afterwards. At least they won't run out of pennies, though!
Reply 15
She called her manager over and, in the conversation that followed, I said, "So let me get this straight for when I tell the papers - you're going to refuse to accept legal tender?"

Actually, as a matter of law, the money you were proposing to pay with was not legal tender - so the manager had a right to refuse you. But, thankfully he either didn't know or didn't care (or wanted more change!) so she had to count it all lol.

For your reference:

COINS:

Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£5 (Crown) - for any amount

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/policies/legal_tender_guidelines.aspx
Reply 16
Original post by DJkG.1
Actually, as a matter of law, the money you were proposing to pay with was not legal tender - so the manager had a right to refuse you. But, thankfully he either didn't know or didn't care (or wanted more change!) so she had to count it all lol.

For your reference:

http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/policies/legal_tender_guidelines.aspx

Thanks, someone pointed that out. I was just bluffing - the manager didn't look too smart, so although I didn't know what the limit was even if I reckoned one would exist, thought I could play it.

And play it I did. :wink:
Reply 17
This is actually awesome... :biggrin:

Innovative and left you with the moral high-ground
Reply 18
Ha ha brilliant! Worth it no matter how long it took! x
Reply 19
Legally she can just refuse to accept it. I remember reading how many of each coins you have to accept and then after you can just reject it. It was a lot less than 2000 though.

Latest