The Student Room Group

Nottingham Uni - Random G400 offer

Hello,

I applied for the G100 Maths course at Nottingham, in general this UCAS I've applied for a mixture of Maths, and Maths 'n' Economics courses.

And as the first piece of genuine correspondence from them after sending my application I get this:

Dear Mr [INSERT BADASS SURNAME HERE]

Thank you for your application for the G100 BSc Mathematics course. We have a limited number of places for this very popular programme, which attracts a large numbers of applications from highly-qualified candidates. Your application has been reviewed and unfortunately we are not able to make you an offer for this programme. However, I am pleased to inform you that with your strong academic profile and interest in the subject area, we would like to make you an offer for the following course:

G400 Computer Science

"strong academic profile" - AABCCDEEa* (Maths, physics, economics, fine art, critical thinking, philosophy, further maths, politics, an EP in the area of economics). I might give them that...
"interest in the subject area" - I just thought... WHAT?! My personal statement was full of maths, mainly economics, and a decent side-interest in politics. I made no mention of anything to do with computers/computing/knowing-the-internet-existed/knowing-what-an-OS-is... or any statement to do with technology, even. I sure showed my "Interest" in computing by not picking it at A Level, and when you've been a bit of a nutter and tried to do 8, to not do it is really saying something.

The next para' is just the Notts sales-team on crack...
This course is designed to produce high quality graduates who show independent thought, flexibility and maturity and who command a sound technical knowledge of the broad aspects of Computer Science. You will graduate with a sound knowledge of the fundamentals of Computer Science, including an appreciation of the interaction between hardware and software; an understanding of human computer interaction and the sociological impact of information technology; and knowledge of the professional standards and ethics of the computer industry, together with the skills and confidence to react to its ever-increasing rate of change.

Only included that for completeness. Though "the sociological impact of information technology" seems to scream Mickey Mouse.

More information about this course is available on our website at http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cs/. This site also includes the details of other courses within the School of Computer Science and if you feel you would prefer to be considered for an alternative course please let me know. Please note that if you are accepted onto the G400 Computer Science course it will not be possible for you to change back to the G100 BSc Mathematics course once registered with the University.

The page listing the undergrad courses in the school was just full of typos, literally. Also there I discovered the standard offer of the straight G400 was just BBB.

Please be assured that your application has been considered very carefully and I understand that you may be disappointed that we have not been able to offer you your original choice of course. Official confirmation of your offer for the Computer Science course will follow through the UCAS system in the next two weeks.

Kind Regards

Rachel Salih
Undergraduate Admissions Officer

I clearly don't have any love for Computer Science, and there's nothing in my application that would even imply the mildest interest.
I have done well in A Level maths and physics, and have reasonable grades relative to their standard offer. This might imply a possible aptitude for computer science to them.

All I can think is, they're just blunderbussing every applicant to them with these compsci offers desperately trying to fill places, regardless of any supposed interest it in by the applicant. Remember this wasn't an invitation or probe whether I'd LIKE to apply for computer science, it was just straight-up informing me of the (unconditional) offer I'm going to receive. I noticed Clearing '10 was relatively full of compsci, and I guess they just can't shift 'em, this all seems pretty desperate to me.

I thought you might be.. vaguely interested to know what Nottingham are up to, e.g. I'm sure you could get away with missing a grade or 2 off your offer and they'd still welcome you with open arms.

The only thing I might ask is about the actual worth/content of the Nottingham G400 course as a degree? if disaster strikes and I get 4 more rejections from elsewhere, then I might have to consider this as a genuine option.

Also, for someone who's never done computing A Level, knows no programming languages or more 'advanced' stuff like that, how hard would a Computer Science degree be? (My knowledge is hardly zero, I know most jargon, not afraid to install components, think I know the basic hardware relationships, etc - i'm not the average noob, but it's still ****-all compared to a lot of people).

And anyone else who's got any other theory on the whole thing, chip in.

THAAARRRNKS,
Mr Surname
Reply 1
hahaha how random.
Reply 2
Original post by AnHuman
The only thing I might ask is about the actual worth/content of the Nottingham G400 course as a degree? if disaster strikes and I get 4 more rejections from elsewhere, then I might have to consider this as a genuine option.

Also, for someone who's never done computing A Level, knows no programming languages or more 'advanced' stuff like that, how hard would a Computer Science degree be? (My knowledge is hardly zero, I know most jargon, not afraid to install components, think I know the basic hardware relationships, etc - i'm not the average noob, but it's still ****-all compared to a lot of people).

And anyone else who's got any other theory on the whole thing, chip in.

Yeah, that is pretty random. CS is always pretty undersubscribed, but this does sound really desperate.

I don't know much about that course in Notts, besides a friend dropping out early from CS+Management for personal reasons (campus is lovely, though). The Mickey Mouse stuff is something that every CS course covers in order to get accredited by the IET/BCS - it's probably just a short series of lectures. Although it's floury, it is the kind of stuff that matters in managerial positions.

Maths+CS will probably suit you more - it looks relatively Maths intensive at Notts (1/2 - 2/3s Maths). I'd say the two subjects cross over really well, and if you plan to use your degree in a engineering/science field, you'll need to know how to program anyway. Also, even though the letter says no, there might be the possibility of switching to pure Maths once you're there if you really can't handle CS.

I'd say it really helps to have programmed before, but people do manage without -- you just need to throw in extra practice. It's not just about programming, but stuff like computer architectures/algorithms is no different to other sciences - learning the name of things and just being taught how things work. You'll have more catching up to do that people that did Computing A-level or have a natural interest, but the advantage goes away pretty fast.

Best of luck with the rest of UCAS, hope it goes well for you this time.
Reply 3
Original post by mailmerge
Yeah, that is pretty random. CS is always pretty undersubscribed, but this does sound really desperate.

I don't know much about that course in Notts, besides a friend dropping out early from CS+Management for personal reasons (campus is lovely, though). The Mickey Mouse stuff is something that every CS course covers in order to get accredited by the IET/BCS - it's probably just a short series of lectures. Although it's floury, it is the kind of stuff that matters in managerial positions.

Maths+CS will probably suit you more - it looks relatively Maths intensive at Notts (1/2 - 2/3s Maths). I'd say the two subjects cross over really well, and if you plan to use your degree in a engineering/science field, you'll need to know how to program anyway. Also, even though the letter says no, there might be the possibility of switching to pure Maths once you're there if you really can't handle CS.

I'd say it really helps to have programmed before, but people do manage without -- you just need to throw in extra practice. It's not just about programming, but stuff like computer architectures/algorithms is no different to other sciences - learning the name of things and just being taught how things work. You'll have more catching up to do that people that did Computing A-level or have a natural interest, but the advantage goes away pretty fast.

Best of luck with the rest of UCAS, hope it goes well for you this time.

I emailed back asking whether I'd be rejected on the same grounds as i was for the G100 straight maths if i applied for the joint maths 'n' compsci. They confirmed that they have identical requirements and that I wouldn't be accepted for the joint.
Reply 4
Clearing '10 didn't include Nottingham's G400 course, or any of their CompSci courses IIRC.

It may be however, that because this year we've introduced a combined undergraduate masters programme that we're receiving fewer applications.
Reply 5
Original post by DarkWhite
Clearing '10 didn't include Nottingham's G400 course, or any of their CompSci courses IIRC.

It may be however, that because this year we've introduced a combined undergraduate masters programme that we're receiving fewer applications.

How would you rate computer science from Nottingham as a degree? Career paths I was HOPING for, were one's that would hopefully progress to upper-managerial, or working as an economist, or maybe something in finance etc.
Is a CS graduate valued that much when not in an area/discipline that requires his knowledge to be practically used?
I'm really ignorant about what most CS graduates go on to do.
Reply 6
Original post by AnHuman
How would you rate computer science from Nottingham as a degree? Career paths I was HOPING for, were one's that would hopefully progress to upper-managerial, or working as an economist, or maybe something in finance etc.
Is a CS graduate valued that much when not in an area/discipline that requires his knowledge to be practically used?
I'm really ignorant about what most CS graduates go on to do.

It seems to get a hard time due to its low entry requirements, yet the school ranks in the top 20, but then I think not having a masters programme on offer has deterred many in the past.

In terms of content, it seems bang on, and the school takes on board what students say about it, as they do with everything else.

When it comes to careers, CS graduates very often go into area such as management and finance, although I'm not sure about economics. It's a multi-disciplinary subject, and so it's fairly straightforward to go into careers outside of the computing/IT sector.

From unistats:
40% Information and communication technology professionals
5% IT service delivery occupations
5% Business and statistical professionals
5% Business and finance associate professionals
5% Customer service occupations
5% Design associate professionals
5% Administrative occupations: General
5% Sales assistants and retail cashiers
5% Managers and proprietors in agriculture and services
5% Teaching professionals

They seem to be strangely round figures, so not sure how precise they are (some courses have percentages adding up to 105% :/ )
Reply 7
Original post by DarkWhite
It seems to get a hard time due to its low entry requirements, yet the school ranks in the top 20, but then I think not having a masters programme on offer has deterred many in the past.

In terms of content, it seems bang on, and the school takes on board what students say about it, as they do with everything else.

When it comes to careers, CS graduates very often go into area such as management and finance, although I'm not sure about economics. It's a multi-disciplinary subject, and so it's fairly straightforward to go into careers outside of the computing/IT sector.

From unistats:
40% Information and communication technology professionals
5% IT service delivery occupations
5% Business and statistical professionals
5% Business and finance associate professionals
5% Customer service occupations
5% Design associate professionals
5% Administrative occupations: General
5% Sales assistants and retail cashiers
5% Managers and proprietors in agriculture and services
5% Teaching professionals

They seem to be strangely round figures, so not sure how precise they are (some courses have percentages adding up to 105% :/ )

I'm not completely against the idea of a computer science degree, and I do regret not doing things like very basic programming as a hobby when younger, because is both rather interesting from curiosity-satiation point of view, and is 100% "cool".
I have 2 main fears though: I will be significantly disadvantaged in pursuing the sorts of career paths I would prefer, relative to holding a Maths and Economics degree instead. And also that I will be completely out of my depth initially, and/or mediocre in the long run.
Reply 8
Original post by AnHuman
I'm not completely against the idea of a computer science degree, and I do regret not doing things like very basic programming as a hobby when younger, because is both rather interesting from curiosity-satiation point of view, and is 100% "cool".
I have 2 main fears though: I will be significantly disadvantaged in pursuing the sorts of career paths I would prefer, relative to holding a Maths and Economics degree instead. And also that I will be completely out of my depth initially, and/or mediocre in the long run.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting you take a CompSci degree to enter a finance career :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AnHuman
Hello,

"strong academic profile" - AABCCDEEa* (Maths, physics, economics, fine art, critical thinking, philosophy, further maths, politics, an EP in the area of economics). I might give them that...

I have done well in A Level maths and physics, and have reasonable grades relative to their standard offer. This might imply a possible aptitude for computer science to them.

All I can think is, they're just blunderbussing every applicant to them with these compsci offers desperately trying to fill places

That has got to be, in terms of number, the most amazing grades I've ever seen. I thought I was crazy taking 6 A-levels. Anyway, I think the reason you got rejected because, in my opinion, an AAB student will have slight advantages for student who has AABCCEEEDDEGGUU. Why?
1.) From your choice of subject you have not make up your mind into what to do, you can't blame the admission officer for they have the right to doubt your application.

2.) Yes you may have an A in A-levels Math, but the fact that you've got E in Further Math would indicate that your ability to do Math is at moderate level. imho, you should've taken that Further Math.

3.) Personally, I would agree on the "filling up places" part. I can bet the decision is made under the influence of sale department. Haha
Reply 10
Original post by manthew
That has got to be, in terms of number, the most amazing grades I've ever seen. I thought I was crazy taking 6 A-levels. Anyway, I think the reason you got rejected because, in my opinion, an AAB student will have slight advantages for student who has AABCCEEEDDEGGUU. Why?
1.) From your choice of subject you have not make up your mind into what to do, you can't blame the admission officer for they have the right to doubt your application.

2.) Yes you may have an A in A-levels Math, but the fact that you've got E in Further Math would indicate that your ability to do Math is at moderate level. imho, you should've taken that Further Math.

3.) Personally, I would agree on the "filling up places" part. I can bet the decision is made under the influence of sale department. Haha

I would agree that's how it looks. That A Level was a mix of As and Bs (96%, 74%) and Us and Es (20%, 23%, 20%, 46%) etc
Overall it appears like I just cannot handle the more advanced maths, I'm playing the ~personal issues~ card on the reason for those U modules, no point doing a 6 page essay on the trollesque details of it though.

If you take out the A2 portions of some of the A Levels I spammed June 3rd year (when I took these i WAS TOLD that declining grades was still possible... sigh) you get AABCEa*bbb, which doesn't look nearly as bad.

And I'm not complaining about my rejection on this one at all, I knew it was a bit of a long-shot, i'm AAB, and their standard offer is AAA-AAB with decent competition.
Reply 11
Original post by AnHuman
x

so far nearly everyone who has applied for Computer Science at Nottingham has had offer,:s-smilie: still bit strange though
Reply 12
Original post by MylesXD

Original post by MylesXD
so far nearly everyone who has applied for Computer Science at Nottingham has had offer,:s-smilie: still bit strange though

In reference to your signature, I think you mean ‘Go on, be nosey’
Reply 13
Original post by Coda
In reference to your signature, I think you mean ‘Go on, be nosey’

hahaha yeah i noticed it :/ just haven't had the urge to change it yet
Seems like Nottingham is a bit desperate this year to fill in their spaces for the Computer Science course. You should take this to your advantage and accept the offer, considering that Nottingham is still a very good University. Good luck! :wink:
Reply 15
Original post by LiquidExtreme12
Seems like Nottingham is a bit desperate this year to fill in their spaces for the Computer Science course. You should take this to your advantage and accept the offer, considering that Nottingham is still a very good University. Good luck! :wink:

I didn't apply for computer science for a reason, I don't particularly want a computer science degree, ANYWAY, **** THE WORLD... BECAUSE....

The University of Sheffield LG11 26-Sep-2011 Unconditional 13-Dec-2010

TA-DA!

Economics and Mathematics Jt Honours > CompSci

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PWE
Reply 16
Original post by AnHuman
I didn't apply for computer science for a reason, I don't particularly want a computer science degree, ANYWAY, **** THE WORLD... BECAUSE....

The University of Sheffield LG11 26-Sep-2011 Unconditional 13-Dec-2010

TA-DA!

Economics and Mathematics Jt Honours > CompSci

PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PWE

Probably the funniest post I've read on TSR to date:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending