The Student Room Group

How long does a HIV test take to get results?

I'm having a HIV test on Tuesday. How long does it take to get the result? It is a same day thing, like can they just tell you there and then after they've taken your blood and tested it at the hospital?
The one I got done got results within 15 minutes, I'm not sure about other places.
Reply 2
Original post by (:Becca(:
The one I got done got results within 15 minutes, I'm not sure about other places.

Can I ask how you get told the result and what happens afterwards either way?
Reply 3
No; if you're an inpatient in hospital you'd usually get the results within 48 hours, but if you're having it done as an outpatient your test will be of lower priority to the lab so it could take up to a week. I know it seems like a long time but try to find something else to occupy yourself with!
Either basically instantly - or if using a different method within 30 minutes.
If it's the instant one the nurse doing it will tell you - if the slower one, a doctor will most likely tell you.
Reply 5
Original post by Philosoraptor
Either basically instantly - or if using a different method within 30 minutes.
If it's the instant one the nurse doing it will tell you - if the slower one, a doctor will most likely tell you.

What are these tests? Whenever I've had anything to do with GUM/HIV testing it has taken much longer to get the HIV results.
Original post by Cinqueta
Can I ask how you get told the result and what happens afterwards either way?

Well, basically, they prick your finger, and put your blood on a bit of paper. If certain lines appear it means you're positive apparently, but I tested negative so I'm not sure what happens if you do come back positive.
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
No; if you're an inpatient in hospital you'd usually get the results within 48 hours, but if you're having it done as an outpatient your test will be of lower priority to the lab so it could take up to a week. I know it seems like a long time but try to find something else to occupy yourself with!

How do you get told the results? I can't have it in a letter because my mum opens my post.
Original post by Helenia
What are these tests? Whenever I've had anything to do with GUM/HIV testing it has taken much longer to get the HIV results.

The finger prick sample tests rather than venepuncture/send off phleb bottle tests.

They're quicker, but I think less accurate - if a "unsure" type result comes on the finger prick you then have a bottle taken.

These are from what I've seen btw - so it could be different at different centres!

I don't profess to be a GUM genius everyone. :cool:
How do you get told the results? I can't have it in a letter because my mum opens my post.

Generally the clinic asks you - you can opt for paper or phone.
If you get a call, it'll be discreet, "Hello this is Chris from the Medway Clinic (or whatever), can I confirm this is blah, what's your DOB? I can tell you your results are all negative OR please come back to the clinic so you can be seen"

Dude you're not the first person to feel nervous/want privacy, they've done this over and over again :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Philosoraptor
Generally the clinic asks you - you can opt for paper or phone.
If you get a call, it'll be discreet, "Hello this is Chris from the Medway Clinic (or whatever), can I confirm this is blah, what's your DOB? I can tell you your results are all negative OR please come back to the clinic so you can be seen"

Dude you're not the first person to feel nervous/want privacy, they've done this over and over again :smile:

Thanks. I'm just petrified I have HIV and can't think of anything else :frown:
I'm having a HIV test on Tuesday. How long does it take to get the result? It is a same day thing, like can they just tell you there and then after they've taken your blood and tested it at the hospital?

bear in mind HIV has something like a 3 month period to show up on tests, so if you've contracted the virus within the last 3 months, it won't show in tests.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
bear in mind HIV has something like a 3 month period to show up on tests, so if you've contracted the virus within the last 3 months, it won't show in tests.

Very good point sir - the clinic would mention this - but nonetheless a helpful comment :smile:
Original post by Helenia

hey we aint that slow lol normally even outpatients results are done on the day the bloods are recieved, unless something breaks.

Op - its a microbiology test so not something I know alot about, however if you are having this done at a GUM clinic that recieved its result over computer (99% do) then try giving them a ring one-two days after your sample is taken, as far as im aware its an ELISA test so would take around 2hours to process. However as Helenia mentioned inpatient samples take priority so give them a good 24-48hrs. Also bear in mind this is assuming the hospital your going to has the ability to do the test as not every lab does every test.
Reply 14
Straight people get HIV too...

If they turn or get infected yeh.:rofl:
Thanks. I'm just petrified I have HIV and can't think of anything else :frown:

Massive Hugs. Good luck. I expect I can speak for everyone when I say that I hope that your result is negative.
Reply 16
Original post by Helenia

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Massive Hugs. Good luck. I expect I can speak for everyone when I say that I hope that your result is negative.

I got my result the next day (yesterday) and I tested negative :smile: They took my blood to get analysed and everything so I don't know why the test was so fast; maybe people under 18 get faster results?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Shouldn't take long. Just remain calm, and be positive.
I got my result the next day (yesterday) and I tested negative :smile: They took my blood to get analysed and everything so I don't know why the test was so fast; maybe people under 18 get faster results?

Congratulations.
Original post by Anabolicminds
I am a nasty little troll

Bye bye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending