The Student Room Group

I've just been scammed at a cash point :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ily_em
£1,150 :colondollar:

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...

Oh no, thats awful! Fingers crossed you get it all back.

I actually witnessed a man putting something into a cash machine a few months back, I very nearly put my card in but the slot didnt look right and this bloke had clearly inserted some sort of device - in broad daylight. I went into the bank straight away to tell them and they really couldnt have cared less, WTF!
That sounds awful. But I don't get how they managed to get your money? Your card is in the machine, so how do they use it?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Sorry to hear about this. If anybody tries to make conversation with you at an ATM about 'problems with the machine' then the odds are they are a scammer.

Ok, now I feel paranoid - I'm forever telling people that the cash machines in our town have problems, but only because they do!
Reply 23
Original post by theths
they showed this on "the real hustle"
best show ever

that's sucks big time, is there anything you can do to salvage the situation?

Should be able to get the money off the bank. My mum (who works in a bank) reckons they have to give me it so I'm going to go to the bank tomorrow as I can't get through to the fraud department on the phone (it's an automated line which requires my card number before I go any further, which I don't have because the card was stolen!).
Reply 24
Original post by cowsgoquack
That sounds awful. But I don't get how they managed to get your money? Your card is in the machine, so how do they use it?

It's called a 'lebanese loop' at least according to the link in the OP. Basically a credit card sized envelope which they slot into the machine so when the card goes in it just sits in the envelope. Then when I left the guy who spoke to be took it out...
Reply 25
Original post by ily_em

Original post by ily_em
£1,150 :colondollar:

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...

God that's so crappy and just before Christmas as well :frown:

Wouldn't your bank ring you up if a massive amount went out at once? I hope you get it back :frown:
Reply 26
Make sure you ring your bank's fraud department, you should be able to get your money back!
Reply 27
My card got skimmed in a dodgy corner shop. My bank managed to stop it all though because the scammer "fishes" first with a small amount that you may not notice, and if they get away with it they take the whole lot. The scammer had tried doing £10 electronic Vodafone top up, and my bank stopped it because I've had a monthly T Mobile DD coming out for years now. Apparently a lot do it on mobile phone top up. Also, don't keep such a high amount in your bank account. Put it in a saver or an ISA, you're not earning anything on it in a current account and they can steal more. You should get it back from your bank anyway.
so sad:frown:
Reply 29
Original post by Lazaroo
My card got skimmed in a dodgy corner shop. My bank managed to stop it all though because the scammer "fishes" first with a small amount that you may not notice, and if they get away with it they take the whole lot. The scammer had tried doing £10 electronic Vodafone top up, and my bank stopped it because I've had a monthly T Mobile DD coming out for years now. Apparently a lot do it on mobile phone top up. Also, don't keep such a high amount in your bank account. Put it in a saver or an ISA, you're not earning anything on it in a current account and they can steal more. You should get it back from your bank anyway.

My ISA is full up, this money is just leftovers from student loan+grant+bursary for the term and I haven't got round to sorting it out yet :colondollar:

I'm not sure why the bank didn't stop it straight away. I can understand them allowing the £250 out of the cashpoint as I think I've got out near that amount before but I've never spent anywhere near £900 at once! Oh well :frown: Going to the bank tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.
Original post by ily_em
It's called a 'lebanese loop' at least according to the link in the OP. Basically a credit card sized envelope which they slot into the machine so when the card goes in it just sits in the envelope. Then when I left the guy who spoke to be took it out...

Ohhh. I understand, but why did you leave? Aren't you supposed to phone the number on the atm. Thats what I did when one ate my card.
Reply 31
Original post by ily_em
My ISA is full up, this money is just leftovers from student loan+grant+bursary for the term and I haven't got round to sorting it out yet :colondollar:

I'm not sure why the bank didn't stop it straight away. I can understand them allowing the £250 out of the cashpoint as I think I've got out near that amount before but I've never spent anywhere near £900 at once! Oh well :frown: Going to the bank tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.

You will get your money back soon enough. Its so horrible though isn't it :frown:
Reply 32
I always pull on the card slot, although what I would do if something actually came out is beyond me.
Reply 33
Original post by cowsgoquack
Ohhh. I understand, but why did you leave? Aren't you supposed to phone the number on the atm. Thats what I did when one ate my card.

I didn't realise there was one! Was to busy being worried about my card being swallowed to pay any attention oops :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by ily_em
Should be able to get the money off the bank. My mum (who works in a bank) reckons they have to give me it so I'm going to go to the bank tomorrow as I can't get through to the fraud department on the phone (it's an automated line which requires my card number before I go any further, which I don't have because the card was stolen!).

aah how annoying
also, they must have somehow got your pin, right? was the guy behind you really close or something? because if you cancelled the transaction once your card failed to come out they wouldn't have been able to get it from there, right?
Reply 35
They warned us about this on Crimestoppers about a year ago! I always 'check' cashpoints now to ensure that they don't look dodgy.
Reply 36
Thanks, will check from now on.
Original post by ily_em
I didn't realise there was one! Was to busy being worried about my card being swallowed to pay any attention oops :frown:

How long did you wait before you cancelled your card??

Thanks for the tip by the way.
Reply 38
Original post by theths
aah how annoying
also, they must have somehow got your pin, right? was the guy behind you really close or something? because if you cancelled the transaction once your card failed to come out they wouldn't have been able to get it from there, right?

Idk, I'm not always totally careful when I put in my pin and just stand as close to the cashpoint as I can but don't cover it with my hand or anything. He may have just been stood really close without me realising when I put the PIN in the first time (I put the card in and put the pin in before realising it had come out, then put the card in again which is when it got stuck and the guy spoke to me)? I just wasn't careful enough :/
Original post by ily_em

aw noo poor sausage. :frown: thats pretty terrible but yeah i think you can ring up some number and report it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending