The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frodalod

Wondering If anyone had any advice on University. I'm applying for Economics and I'm not sure which university I would chose out of Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham if I were given offers from all three. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be best?

St Andrews is the best ranking wise, but I'd look at the courses, for instance Durham has much less of a focus on mathematics in economics than other courses.
Original post by anradu
Personal statement was good, but my UMS scores were poor in Chemistry, but over 90 in both Maths and Economics. However that was not the reason for rejection according to the Admissions from both LSE and Warwick. Oxford said it was down to the TSA. They said that the competition I was up against faired much better, with a greater number of A*.
Maybe next year, if I can obtain my predicted grades of 3A*A I will be more successful. Maybe then they may overlook my GCSE's.

Anradu, I was in your position last year. Rejected from LSE and Warwick (poor GCSEs) and from Oxford (Terrible interview and poor GCSEs), but I was like you, predicted high grades! I know that it's an extra year, but definitely consider taking a Gap Year and next year apply when you achieve those strong predictions. Also consider applying to the US maybe? In terms of Gap Year work placements, if you start looking and applying now, there are lots of opportunities for driven, intelligent young people. Just ensure you get those grades and you'll be in a strong position.
Original post by jk7337
Actually I wasn't too sure how it went. I messed up some easy stuff probably because of nerves but answered some questions pretty well (I think) so overall I think it was probably just alright. I think I'm going to be lucky to get an offer but you never know!
Yeah I really liked my interviewers too and I just love Cambridge and Clare. I really would be ecstatic if I got an offer.
Just out of interest after Cambridge what are your choices in order of preference? I actually have no idea what my 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choices are!

Of course, it is very hard to know. Cambridge would be such a superb place to study. I would happily go to LSE though, such a vibrant, intelligent, international community.
Wondering If anyone had any advice on University. I'm applying for Economics and I'm not sure which university I would chose out of Durham, St Andrews and Nottingham if I were given offers from all three. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be best?

I live in Nottingham so i have visited nottingham uni many times and ive visited Durham. i have no idea about st Andrews but as for the others, Nottingham uni is amazing, the campus is stunning, the lecturers are really nice and nottm city has a fab nightlife and is great for shopping, Durham is also a stunning place and is so quiet and has a really great atmosphere. They both have great reputations, i would decide on the kind of city you want to live in. :smile:
Reply 524
Original post by thesnowman
Oh no I definately expected him to get more, but its just frustrating anyway :tongue: Its the whole Surrey offer business that frustrated me, plus my lack of general patience :P What was your other choice then?

And yeah I recieved the Nottingham and Bath emails too, expected it from Nottingham, not too surprised about Bath either. Can I ask what your predictions, AS GCSEs etc are like?

Other choice was Loughborough, actually got an offer from them within about two weeks lol.

Ye you can, my GCSE's were kind of average: A*A*AAAABBB AS-levels: AAAA A2 Predictions: A*A*A. What about yourself?
Original post by Vazzyb
Just out of interest,

if you guys were in a situation where you had offers from LSE and Cambridge for Economics or LSE and Oxford for Economics/E&M - which would you pick, Oxbridge or LSE and why?

Cheers!

I'd pick Cambridge. It's supposed to be better for the sciences, plus it just seems cooler :biggrin:. Not much between it and Oxford though. I wouldn't want to go to LSE because it's in London and it's 67% international app, so I've read.
Original post by Ross_D93
Nah I've not heard from Edinburgh yet either. I get the exemption though :wink: :biggrin:

what offers have you received and what are your grades if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by john0401
Other choice was Loughborough, actually got an offer from them within about two weeks lol.

Ye you can, my GCSE's were kind of average: A*A*AAAABBB AS-levels: AAAA A2 Predictions: A*A*A. What about yourself?

Congrats on the offer!
My GCSE's werent special either, A*(maths) 10 A's B, AS: AABB, predictions: A*A*A
Reply 528
Original post by PaddyD15
Best of luck with that buddy, I only got 4A* and 6As and got an Ox interview (E&M) this year with 3A*1A at A level. As for TSA just practice

Good Luck with Oxford, and thank you. How did the interview go?
Reply 529
Original post by Jason Francis Parisi
Anradu, I was in your position last year. Rejected from LSE and Warwick (poor GCSEs) and from Oxford (Terrible interview and poor GCSEs), but I was like you, predicted high grades! I know that it's an extra year, but definitely consider taking a Gap Year and next year apply when you achieve those strong predictions. Also consider applying to the US maybe? In terms of Gap Year work placements, if you start looking and applying now, there are lots of opportunities for driven, intelligent young people. Just ensure you get those grades and you'll be in a strong position.

Good Luck with your application this year, and thank you for the advice. My parents are against me applying abroad, especially the US, for reasons I cannot fathom (actually they say it is the tuition fees of $40000+).
I will take hope from your situation and reapply next year :smile:

What did you do during your gap year??
Reply 530
thinking of applying for economics next year in year 12 atm do you think i have a chance with these grades

GCSE: 8A*s (maybe 7 because i have an A* for core science then 3 separate A*s for biology chemistry and physics because my school cashed in the core exams and i had to retake them to get the 3 separate grades) 5As 1B (Spanish -.-)

I also done AS maths and biology last year got As in both

This year going to finish maths and biology A2 and do AS's in economics, chemistry and critical thinking and all of further maths A level next year. (our school finishes maths A level in year 12 for people doing further maths)

so by the end of year 13 my A2s will be : Maths FM Biology Chemistry Economics and an AS in critical thinking

Would i have a chance of getting into LSE/UCL/Warwick if i get around 90 UMS in all the exams i'm doing this year or should i instead instead apply for medicine because from what i heard not going to the top uni's leaves you with less chance of getting into good jobs in the city,

Thanks for any replies sorry about the essay :confused:
You're sorted grades wise, comes down to your personal statement.
Reply 532
medicine and economics are 2 really different and rigorous courses, maybe you need to think what you want more first...
Reply 533
Go for medicine instead? It's not such a casual decision to commit 6 years of your life to such a hard course!

And yes you have a good chance of getting into top places.
Course: Economics
University: Royal Holloway
Offer: 44 (Equivalent to BB) in AP Macroeconomics and AP Statistics

Course: Financial Economics
University: St Andrews
Offer: Unconditional

Course: Economics with Finance
University: Edinburgh
Reply 535
Original post by carolinealyece
Course: Economics
University: Royal Holloway
Offer: 44 (Equivalent to BB) in AP Macroeconomics and AP Statistics

Course: Financial Economics
University: St Andrews

Course: Economics with Finance
University: Edinburgh

So lucky about St Andrews! Are you international, what is is your GCSE profile like if you don't mind me asking!
Reply 536
Birmingham offer :smile:
Reply 537
Fire whats your predicteds?
Course: Economics L100 (Deferred Entry)
University: Newcastle
Offer: AAB
Original post by wag1bgirl
So lucky about St Andrews! Are you international, what is is your GCSE profile like if you don't mind me asking!

I'm international so I don't have a GCSE profile haha..but I guess what I have would be like AAA.

Thanks! I'm probably going to firm St Andrews.

Latest

Trending

Trending