The Student Room Group

I've just been scammed at a cash point :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Haven't you ever watched the real hustle????

Original post by ily_em
Idk, I'm not always totally careful when I put in my pin and just stand as close to the cashpoint as I can but don't cover it with my hand or anything. He may have just been stood really close without me realising when I put the PIN in the first time (I put the card in and put the pin in before realising it had come out, then put the card in again which is when it got stuck and the guy spoke to me)? I just wasn't careful enough :/

They might have hidden a camera inside, because people ofter block the view from behind but don't consider covering their PINS from the inside of the booth thing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by DorianGrayism
How long did you wait before you cancelled your card??

Thanks for the tip by the way.

15 mins max by the time I'd talked to somebody in tesco, walked home and found somebody with a phone that had credit on it!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Mm_Minty
Haven't you ever watched the real hustle????

No but I really wish I had!
Original post by ily_em
My ISA is full up, this money is just leftovers from student loan+grant+bursary for the term and I haven't got round to sorting it out yet :colondollar:

I'm not sure why the bank didn't stop it straight away. I can understand them allowing the £250 out of the cashpoint as I think I've got out near that amount before but I've never spent anywhere near £900 at once! Oh well :frown: Going to the bank tomorrow to hopefully sort it out.

I think that you should be ok..

The banking code stipulates:

bankingcode
Unless we can show that you have acted fraudulently
or without reasonable care, your liability for the misuse
of your card will be limited as follows.
If someone else uses your card, before you tell us it
has been lost or stolen or that someone else knows
your PIN, the most you will have to pay is £50.

The only possible problem is that "reasonable care" is not clearly defined, at least not in a legal sense.

bankingcode
If you act without reasonable
care, and this causes losses, you may be responsible
for them. (This may apply if you do not follow section
12.5 or you do not keep to your account’s terms and
conditions.)

That said, I really do not imagine that a bank could claim that you had not taken reasonable care in the said case. I am quite sure that all will be well (relatively speaking) after a trip to the bank on the 'morrow.
Reply 44
Original post by H.C. Chinaski
I think that you should be ok..

The banking code stipulates:

The only possible problem is that "reasonable care" is not clearly defined, at least not in a legal sense.

That said, I really do not imagine that a bank could claim that you had not taken reasonable care in the said case. I am quite sure that all will be well (relatively speaking) after a trip to the bank on the 'morrow.

Ta very much! May print that off to take with me; I'm not very good at being persuasive...
Reply 45
Original post by ily_em
£1,150 :colondollar:

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...

Damn, hopefully that wasn't your maintenance loan if you're at uni? :frown:
What bastards! and around christmas too...i hope karma bites him on the ass!

I hope you get all your money back :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by anti-duck
Damn, hopefully that wasn't your maintenance loan if you're at uni? :frown:

It's what's left of my maintenance loan + grant + bursary for this term :/

Original post by RealityIsDull
What bastards! and around christmas too...i hope karma bites him on the ass!

I hope you get all your money back :smile:

At least I've done my Christmas shopping :smile: I doubt people who steal others' money care what time of year it is :P
Original post by Cybele
They warned us about this on Crimestoppers about a year ago! I always 'check' cashpoints now to ensure that they don't look dodgy.

How do you check them?o.O I rarely watch TV, so this is all new to me.
Reply 49
Original post by Carlito o.O
How do you check them?o.O I rarely watch TV, so this is all new to me.

In my one there was one of those lebanase loop things (read the link in my OP). Now I think about it, I realise that the bit where you insert the card felt a bit different, like there was a bit of paper or something sticking out of it. Just run your hand over the card slot to see if it feels odd. And be really really careful entering the pin!
Reply 50
You sound like a dumb ass.

I think back on it I remember feeling something a bit odd at the card entry thing, like strips of paper sticking out. I should be more careful
oh those damn lebanese...
I got scammed too - nasty shock to have £-100 in my bank account. I think mine was online though as they paid £300 to O2 and £150 to Swiftcover. I've always been really careful with my details and now have had to go through a mountain of meetings and phone calls with Lloyds and it's such a horrible position to be in.
Reply 53
Original post by ily_em
It's what's left of my maintenance loan + grant + bursary for this term :/

****! :frown: Have you made a fraud claim with your bank? You should be covered by Visa protection if you have a Visa card, I'm sure MasterCard will offer similar protection too, the bank should be able to sort it out too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by F i s
You sound like a dumb ass.

I know I'm a dumb ass :colonhash: I made this thread to warn others not to be.

In a situation like that you don't always pay attention to stuff like that. And I only felt that thing once my card was already swallowed, and recognised it after once I read about the scam on the internet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
Ah, that totally sucks :frown:

I'm always reeally paranoid about these things. I a 'The Real Hustle' junkie, I've seen every episode so I'm well aware of these terrible debit/credit card scams. Even if no one is behind me whilst I enter my pin I cover it with my hand. My paranoia streches so far that I only use my card in high street stores, ATMs that don't look dodgy and supermarkets. All I can suggest to be vigilant next time and really take care when you are entering your pin. I know this sounds patronizing sorry but I really hope your money back :o:

My local Sainsburys have recently moved their ATM inside right next to customer services, so hopefully this could be the beginning of supermarkets trying to crack down on these card reading scams.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by ily_em
I know I'm a dumb ass :colonhash: I made this thread to warn others not to be.

In a situation like that you don't always pay attention to stuff like that. And I only felt that thing once my card was already swallowed, and recognised it after once I read about the scam on the internet.

OK, no hard feelings then. Lucky as you didn't lose a lot as well.
Original post by ily_em
Hopefully! My mum works for a different bank (Barclays) and she says they always pay back for this kind of thing so I hope Natwest will do the same! I did cancel ASAP so I guess that'll be in my favour...

Barclays always pay back?

Oh no they don't!

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/consumer-rights-woman-70-was-not-to-blame-for-cashpoint-scam-1998873.html
Reply 58
Original post by F i s
OK, no hard feelings then. Lucky as you didn't lose a lot as well.

Is that sarcasm? It's a lot! (or maybe we have different opinions of what a lot is :P)
Reply 59
good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending