The Student Room Group

Overuse of "LOL" when it isn't relevant - I'm sick of it!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Agreed. I'm okay with it once in a while, in moderation, but...its meaning is becoming so ambiguous; people are using it in a ridiculous variety of situations. Someone's already mentioned that the acronym has 'evolved' - that's all well and good so long as people can see when enough is enough. :yes:

This sort of thing tends to happen with some phrases now and again, but this particular one has become something of an epidemic. :lolwut:

A discussion in which at least one of the participants insists on interjecting said phrase into every other sentence is one I tend to excuse myself from as soon as possible. :sigh:

The phrase is used so much, it's beginning to lose its meaning. :sad:

Spoiler

lol
Roflcopterz
Hi thread, have you met my good friend Lol?

:awesome:
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
Reply 85
Never seen anyone use it...
Sorry, needed to get the lol's out of my system.
I understand what you mean though, because I like to use full words in my msn messages and texts. I feel like the english language will be destroyed if we comstantly dilute the real words.
Also, I love long words, they sound so beautiful, (well some of them do such as wonderful and lovely and doubt and nostalgia...ect).
We should love every letter, don't take away letters (some will feel unloved).
Yeah, lol is overused...
...I only really use it when I want to make sure the recepient knows I'm joking about the comment, because they can't see my facial expression. :smile:
LO effing L
Reply 88
lolage.
Reply 89
L
O
L
Reply 90
Dude you just made me LMFAO
lol
Reply 92
lol
lol
Original post by lukejoshjedi
LOVL

You like? :wink:
Original post by Miss Behaving
You like? :wink:

Quite, yes :wink:
Original post by james.h
Agreed. I'm okay with it once in a while, in moderation, but...its meaning is becoming so ambiguous; people are using it in a ridiculous variety of situations. Someone's already mentioned that the acronym has 'evolved' - that's all well and good so long as people can see when enough is enough. :yes:

This sort of thing tends to happen with some phrases now and again, but this particular one has become something of an epidemic. :lolwut:

A discussion in which at least one of the participants insists on interjecting said phrase into every other sentence is one I tend to excuse myself from as soon as possible. :sigh:

The phrase is used so much, it's beginning to lose its meaning. :sad:

Spoiler

Original post by purple_starlight
Sorry, needed to get the lol's out of my system.
I understand what you mean though, because I like to use full words in my msn messages and texts. I feel like the english language will be destroyed if we comstantly dilute the real words.
Also, I love long words, they sound so beautiful, (well some of them do such as wonderful and lovely and doubt and nostalgia...ect).
We should love every letter, don't take away letters (some will feel unloved).
Yeah, lol is overused...
...I only really use it when I want to make sure the recepient knows I'm joking about the comment, because they can't see my facial expression. :smile:

The only sensible responses to this thread.

Everyone else is an unfunny retarded gimp.
Original post by robocop1andahalf

I didn't even say lol!
Reply 98
I'm typing, i'm typing L.O.L, i'm typing but i'm not laughing!

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by robocop1andahalf

lol, i agree :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest