The Student Room Group

Does TSR discourage independant thought?

I like TSR, yet I wonder although it has the benefits of answering the "questions we have in life" on a daily basis, is this actually good in the long run?

If you ask TSR with a thread like "is this...........good for me", it stops you thinking about what YOU think is best for yourself. You may think that the answer to a thread that is posted the most is considered to be the "norm" answer and may only follow that route whilst not considering alternatives. I'm not saying this will happens most of the time but it does discourage elements of independant thinking, don't you think?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

TSR discourages ALL thoughts. It's all about banter.
Original post by turbo64
I like TSR, yet I wonder although it has the benefits of answering the "questions we have in life" on a daily basis, is this actually good in the long run?

If you ask TSR with a thread like "is this...........good for me", it stops you thinking about what YOU think is best for yourself. You may think that the answer to a thread that is posted the most is considered to be the "norm" answer and may only follow that route whilst not considering alternatives. I'm not saying this will happens most of the time but it does discourage elements of independant thinking, don't you think?

On a technicality aren't you sort of doing that right now ?

It could do that, but i doubt people blindly follow other people's advice on TSR since most of them are sarcastic comments (Like the above)

Besides people only ask for reassurance, most people only follow the answer they want anyway. Get what i mean? So like if I asked you if i should buy a game or a novel. In my head i want the game, I'll only go for answers that say buy the game.

Besides TSR discourages your from doing your work since it's another place to procrastinate :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
If you're easily led then it might, but most people on TSR (myself included) come here to shout our views as loudly as possible so that we can't hear other people's, so we don't ever change our minds because of threads.
there is nothing wrong in seeking counsel/advice. which human being does not? nobody knows all of the answers.
Writing your thoughts out in words requires you to think carefully, as does engaging in debate and discussion with those who hold a variety of different opinions and viewpoints. That's true with everything from "My bf hasnt txted me 4 10 mins wht do i do??? :frown:" to the philosophy of mathematics.
Reply 6
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
TSR discourages ALL thoughts. It's all about banter.

**** banter!!!

Anyone who uses that word in discussion is bent, you're not bent are you?

But anyway, no, only idiots don't voice their real opinions, it's the internet FFS, who cares what the norm thinks...
Reply 7
Of course it does.

Any form of moderation will curb independence of mind.

Remember Ghandi said: “Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."

If you moderate, you don't allow mistakes.
Go figure it out yourself.
Original post by zKlown
**** banter!!!

Anyone who uses that word in discussion is bent, you're not bent are you?

But anyway, no, only idiots don't voice their real opinions, it's the internet FFS, who cares what the norm thinks...

Nah. "banter" just sounds nice to me. Banter. Banter. Baaaanteeeeerrr
Reply 10
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Nah. "banter" just sounds nice to me. Banter. Banter. Baaaanteeeeerrr

Sounds "nice"? Oh my days, you are bent...
Reply 11
OT but interesting read on the blogs
Original post by zKlown
Sounds "nice"? Oh my days, you are bent...

Whateva you say, suga boy. :rolleyes:
Original post by Rob da Mop
If you're easily led then it might, but most people on TSR (myself included) come here to shout our views as loudly as possible so that we can't hear other people's, so we don't ever change our minds because of threads.

I have seen this a lot.

It begs the question... what's the point? If there's no actual discussion, and everyone's bulldozing threads with whatever contrived point they have, with no-one taking anything away from the 'discussion' apart from "wow, that guy's a douche" in their heads, what is the point?
Original post by Aj12
OT but interesting read on the blogs

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by + polarity -
I have seen this a lot.

It begs the question... what's the point? If there's no actual discussion, and everyone's bulldozing threads with whatever contrived point they have, with no-one taking anything away from the 'discussion' apart from "wow, that guy's a douche" in their heads, what is the point?

Not entirely sure, it's just how the internet works. It's hard to take people seriously when they have completely opposite view points from you. In real life you'd probably leave them alone/bitch to your friends, but on the internet, you're bored, have nothing to do, you just shout your opinion back at them.
So instead of making your own mind up about whether TSR removes independent thought, you decided to make a post instead...
Original post by Rob da Mop
Not entirely sure, it's just how the internet works. It's hard to take people seriously when they have completely opposite view points from you. In real life you'd probably leave them alone/bitch to your friends, but on the internet, you're bored, have nothing to do, you just shout your opinion back at them.

Ultimately is all about attention seeking. We can freely voice our anger and find a public for it with no strings attached or personal accountability.
Original post by turbo64

Indepenant **** me... how dare you pose a question to TSR after violating the English language in such a disgusting manner..
Reply 19
Unless you care about the rep system, no? I actually sometimes wonder how I ended up on here. I came here for the revision tips, but soon I was captivated by the prospect of intellectual debate. When I realised that the extent of this was only discussing the average penis size on H+R or trying to debunk a lot of this hate for Islam, I instead became preoccupied with getting a quick ego boost. now I cant bring myself to quit and its like a nerdy addiction although the alternative would be revising.

thanks for listening to my irrelevant sleep deprived ramblings kids!

Quick Reply

Latest