The Student Room Group

Points to cover in PS?

So I think that it's about time I pulled my finger out and started to write my personal statement :smile:

I'm going to be applying for combined honours, foundation entry at UClan, but I'm unsure as to what I need to put in my personal statement as I'm not entirely sure what I want to study (which is fine for my chosen course as you don't need to decide until halfway through year 0), I would imagine that 'what makes you want to study subject x?' would be a huge part of any regular personal statement, but as I don't need to include an answer to that in mine, I don't know how to give my personal statement some weight (per se).

Also, do personal statements require an introduction? And what would a typical introduction look like? :smile:

Appreciate any help :smile:
(EDIT)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
An introduction as to why you want to study the subject.

Your favourite aspects of the subject.

Your specific skills attached to the subject.

Your academic skills

Your extra curricular activities

Why you want to progress to university.

Did you even read their post?
Original post by TheSownRose
Did you even read their post?

My apologies, it was just a quick reply.
Reply 4
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
(EDIT)

I would rep you if I had any left :sexface:
Are you just applying for that one course? If you have an idea of where you want to go with the foundation course, you can talk about your interests in those areas, even if they change during your time doing it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by xKTx
Are you just applying for that one course? If you have an idea of where you want to go with the foundation course, you can talk about your interests in those areas, even if they change during your time doing it :smile:

Yeah, I'm just going to be applying for that one course :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by anti-duck

Original post by anti-duck
Yeah, I'm just going to be applying for that one course :smile:

Thanks.

Then be as specific as you can in terms of you see the course at UClan fitting in with your academic interests, why are you chosing to do this course as it won't be so ridiculously general that it literally leads to anything and everything. Why are you interested in social sciences, for example? What has made you decide to study this area and where do you see yourself going after the course? Are you aiming for a particular undergraduate degree strand after doing the year 0 and why? They aren't going to hold you to what you say here, they just want to see your interest in the general subject area and why you feel it will benefit you in terms of what you want to do next.

You can be really specific and refer to certain modules/aspects of UClan that are particularly attractive to you to show them you've fully researched the course.
Reply 8
Original post by oxymoronic
Then be as specific as you can in terms of you see the course at UClan fitting in with your academic interests, why are you chosing to do this course as it won't be so ridiculously general that it literally leads to anything and everything. Why are you interested in social sciences, for example? What has made you decide to study this area and where do you see yourself going after the course? Are you aiming for a particular undergraduate degree strand after doing the year 0 and why? They aren't going to hold you to what you say here, they just want to see your interest in the general subject area and why you feel it will benefit you in terms of what you want to do next.

You can be really specific and refer to certain modules/aspects of UClan that are particularly attractive to you to show them you've fully researched the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending