The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Jimbo1234
Ah bless. It is very pathetic that you attempt to produce a counter argument by discrediting the person who came up with it, rather then the argument itself. Though I do have to say you would excel in American politics.

I'm not trying to produce a counter-argument but was merely passing comment on my perception of you as a person.

Jimbo1234
As for the country/province/state list, it does not show anything as it is simply ambiguous.

Well, it does make you look as if you think Alaska is a country, but I'm happy for you if you don't. :smile:

Jimbo1234
As for arguing coherently, my argument is flawless. I make a hypothesis and then reinforce it with evidence. You on the other hand have not produced any evidence on why my argument is flawed, but have simply reverted to playground insults.

LOL. You made a point based only on anecdotal evidence, then later when a poster linked a German newspaper article you desperately and hilariously clung onto it as "proof" of your argument. :confused:

I'm not discussing your theory that girls generally have poorer general knowledge than boys. It's possible that this is true but you certainly haven't made a credible case for it. You've just posted drivel. The whole thread is ridiculous and as there is very little intelligent discussion going on here I thought I would add my main impression of the thread, which is that you personally come across as an idiot.

Jimbo1234
On a different topic, what uni do you go to again as mine is in my bio?:awesome:

Hm York, not bad. Either standards there are slipping, as you really do come across like a thick comprehensive school pupil, or you're not quite this stupid and you do it to get a reaction, which would be pretty lame.

I'm not at university. I got a 1st from Edinburgh and now work in one of the countries you're so proud of being able to locate.

Anyway, I'm going to bed so if I don't reply it won't be because your amazing response has rendered me speechless.
Uh I didn't bother to read most posts but I can assert with confidence that generalizations are always wrong.
But knowledge is always valuable as I showed. Just saying ' Nah 'cause lol' is not a reasons, but sheer ignorance.
As for my interactions with society, I am perfectly socially able but this is an impossible argument to prove on the internet from a some what anonymous profile. I just find it alarming that people such as yourself put no value or importance into knowledge. This might be why you do not say no your profile where you study :awesome:

It's my opinion that knowledge is overrated, and that conversation can be prompted by anything and not necessarily empty facts. You clearly can't interact with society if others (who owe you nothing by the by) don't stimulate you. It's not their purpose t do so. As for my profile, is there an obligation to fill it? Do you need to tell total strangers what I do? Again, you don't seem very tolerant of others, and can't really comprehend that others are different from you. I'd imagine this is where your critique is stemming from.
Reply 243
Original post by rajandkwameali
It's my opinion that knowledge is overrated, and that conversation can be prompted by anything and not necessarily empty facts. You clearly can't interact with society if others (who owe you nothing by the by) don't stimulate you. It's not their purpose t do so. As for my profile, is there an obligation to fill it? Do you need to tell total strangers what I do? Again, you don't seem very tolerant of others, and can't really comprehend that others are different from you. I'd imagine this is where your critique is stemming from.

Original post by hmaus
I'm not trying to produce a counter-argument but was merely passing comment on my perception of you as a person.
Well, it does make you look as if you think Alaska is a country, but I'm happy for you if you don't. :smile:
LOL. You made a point based only on anecdotal evidence, then later when a poster linked a German newspaper article you desperately and hilariously clung onto it as "proof" of your argument. :confused:
I'm not discussing your theory that girls generally have poorer general knowledge than boys. It's possible that this is true but you certainly haven't made a credible case for it. You've just posted drivel. The whole thread is ridiculous and as there is very little intelligent discussion going on here I thought I would add my main impression of the thread, which is that you personally come across as an idiot.
Hm York, not bad. Either standards there are slipping, as you really do come across like a thick comprehensive school pupil, or you're not quite this stupid and you do it to get a reaction, which would be pretty lame.
I'm not at university. I got a 1st from Edinburgh and now work in one of the countries you're so proud of being able to locate.
Anyway, I'm going to bed so if I don't reply it won't be because your amazing response has rendered me speechless.

Lets see. This whole thread is ridiculous, even though the idea is the same that led a Professor to do an entire paper on this topic? I think you are just in denial and feel some unjust need to try to be offensive.

Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Uh I didn't bother to read most posts but I can assert with confidence that generalizations are always wrong.

Go back to the OP and read the bottom line.

Lets see. This whole thread is ridiculous, even though the idea is the same that led a Professor to do an entire paper on this topic? I think you are just in denial and feel some unjust need to try to be offensive.

It simply doesn't bother me if a person is not learned. if somebody is disinteresting to you, why do you still engage them? if you're so smart, then you should know how to get on in life.
Reply 245

The fact that professors have carried out studies and written papers doesn't necessarily mean that what they say is correct and indisputable, as you seem to believe. Btw LOL at "entire paper". The poster who linked this article said that a book was published with a collection of papers on the subject by various academics. Actually lots of tests and studies have been carried out. I haven't looked into them all in detail and I very much doubt that you have either.

I find it quite amusing that you think a single academic paper would be some amazing thing to be held up as "proof" because it's been written by a professor (small P by the way, unless it's a name). Professors write papers on all sorts of things - some important, some trivial and some ridiculous. Your suggestion that no reputable professors disagree with each other (see above, re: global warming and 9/11) is also ludicrous.

I'm not saying the question of a gender difference in terms of general knowledge is ridiculous, nor I am saying the Studenten-Pisa test is ridiculous. In fact, discussion of this (in the article) is rather interesting, but you've failed to engage in any meaningful way. You continue to draw on anecdotes from your own life and just repeat over and over that you have "proof" from a professor that girls have less general knowledge. It's laughable.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be "in denial" about? I was just disheartened to see that a potentially interesting thread is actually such rot.
Reply 246
Original post by hmaus
The fact that professors have carried out studies and written papers doesn't necessarily mean that what they say is correct and indisputable, as you seem to believe. Btw LOL at "entire paper". The poster who linked this article said that a book was published with a collection of papers on the subject by various academics. Actually lots of tests and studies have been carried out. I haven't looked into them all in detail and I very much doubt that you have either.

I find it quite amusing that you think a single academic paper would be some amazing thing to be held up as "proof" because it's been written by a professor (small P by the way, unless it's a name). Professors write papers on all sorts of things - some important, some trivial and some ridiculous. Your suggestion that no reputable professors disagree with each other (see above, re: global warming and 9/11) is also ludicrous.

I'm not saying the question of a gender difference in terms of general knowledge is ridiculous, nor I am saying the Studenten-Pisa test is ridiculous. In fact, discussion of this (in the article) is rather interesting, but you've failed to engage in any meaningful way. You continue to draw on anecdotes from your own life and just repeat over and over that you have "proof" from a professor that girls have less general knowledge. It's laughable.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be "in denial" about? I was just disheartened to see that a potentially interesting thread is actually such rot.

I'll make this simple for you. Until you can provide evidence backing up your opinion (and btw a collection of papers is called a journal :redface:), that is all it is - a poorly conceived opinion based on no evidence.

As for professors arguing, I question what you studied as many professors try to avoid this as it puts there career and reputation at risk.

Either way, the point of this thread was "Why do girls do this". Now that I have shown this is not a question that is up for debate (and it never was), do you actually care to be constructive and give your 2 cents on why or just argue ' Nah, you is wrong 'cause lol'............:rolleyes:
Reply 247
Err, what?
"Now that I have shown this is not a question that is up for debate (and it never was)"

I don't even know what you're talking about as you can barely string a sentence together. You admit yourself that your writing style and grammar is very poor, and it makes it difficult to follow your ideas. There's nothing here that's not up for debate. However, I don't care to "debate" with you as you're not making any interesting points and you can't even reply coherently to my posts, so I'm not going to bother any more.

Btw a collection of papers is not always a journal and I wonder what you're studying if you think that professors always agree with each other. Professors arguing different angles on things only puts "there" reputation at risk if they do it badly. They don't just agree with each just to save face... Plenty of professors have differing academic opinions and if you don't even accept that then I despair.

You honestly seem to have no idea what you're talking about at all and have poor general knowledge, reading comprehension, written English and analytical skills.

I can't be bothered with you, so I'm out of here. I'm genuinely concerned for you as you won't get far in life with your winning combination of stupidity and arrogance.
Reply 248
Just a few comments:

First of all, since this really bothers me, let me make clear that there is no disagreement among independent professors in the relevant subject fields about anthropogenic climate change. The most striking evidence for this is given here: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/306/5702/1686.full.pdf .

Second: it is true that just because a professor says something it need not be true. I am checking and disproving statements of professors all day long, so "a professor said it, so it must be true" is strictly speaking not a good defence for an argument. In the current case, however, the sheer sample size makes this study quite reliable, but at least interesting.

Third: a collection of papers is a collection of papers, not necessarily a journal. All journals are collection of papers, but not all collection of papers are journals.

Fourth: knowledge and intelligence are different concepts not to be confused. It may well be the case that women are smarter on average (we know at least that their variance is smaller). The study I presented just says that (German) women (who participated in the survey) knew less facts than (German) men (who participated in the survey). Please do not confuse knowledge of facts with intelligence.

Fifth: I really do not like it when my postings are misused. When I came here, I read "student" room, so I assumed there are some interested students here, who wish to talk about stuff on an academic level. Thanks for correcting my expectations, guys!

Best
(ij)
Gnome? :claus:
Reply 250
Original post by hmaus
Err, what?
"Now that I have shown this is not a question that is up for debate (and it never was)"

I don't even know what you're talking about as you can barely string a sentence together. You admit yourself that your writing style and grammar is very poor, and it makes it difficult to follow your ideas. There's nothing here that's not up for debate. However, I don't care to "debate" with you as you're not making any interesting points and you can't even reply coherently to my posts, so I'm not going to bother any more.

Btw a collection of papers is not always a journal and I wonder what you're studying if you think that professors always agree with each other. Professors arguing different angles on things only puts "there" reputation at risk if they do it badly. They don't just agree with each just to save face... Plenty of professors have differing academic opinions and if you don't even accept that then I despair.

You honestly seem to have no idea what you're talking about at all and have poor general knowledge, reading comprehension, written English and analytical skills.

I can't be bothered with you, so I'm out of here. I'm genuinely concerned for you as you won't get far in life with your winning combination of stupidity and arrogance.

I will simplify it for you as your ability to grasp the English language is obviously lacking.

It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'.

Did you follow that, or do I need to come over and hold your hand for you and give you a step by step guide?:colondollar:

I read the OP in its entirety. The bottom line contradicts the generalization you made at the beginning. :confused:

Please tone down the hostility and contempt a bit, or else this thread will most likely end in another flame war. The current topic is already incendiary enough as it is. Also please don't edit the OP every time there's a new development in the debate, it leads to unneeded confusion.
regards
I do personally have quite good general knowledge and always have, but I do know many girls who just aren't aware of anything that goes on.

Then again, I also know many boys who have an equal lack of general knowledge.
Reply 253
I read the OP in its entirety. The bottom line contradicts the generalization you made at the beginning. :confused:

Please tone down the hostility and contempt a bit, or else this thread will most likely end in another flame war. The current topic is already incendiary enough as it is. Also please don't edit the OP every time there's a new development in the debate, it leads to unneeded confusion.
regards

Yeah, you need to go back and re-read the evidence as it does not contradict what I said, but it reinforces it...

Also, I have only added the evidence to it, which is not going to be confusing for anyone as I just tell them to check it out if they missed it. It saves me reposting the same link a million times over.

regards

I'm afraid he does need to edit it again because I'm the girl who apparently 'didn't know what 9/11 was all about'. His thread is based lies.
Reply 255
"Germans know extremely little about economics and three quarters don't even have a full grasp of how percentages work, a new study has found."

"Knowledge about economic issues rose with age and income. Men performed clearly better than women."

http://www.thelocal.de/money/20101213-31779.html
(edited 13 years ago)
I will simplify it for you as your ability to grasp the English language is obviously lacking.

It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'.

Did you follow that, or do I need to come over and hold your hand for you and give you a step by step guide?:colondollar:

Why are you insulting their inability to use English when you titled the thread "Girls lack general knowledge?", which is a lazy way of saying 'DO girls lack general knowledge', and then saying "It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'"?
Your "proof" is a German article, but as I'm sure you know that isn't really adequate in terms of proof. Apart from that your evidence is entirely anecdotal, and in addition, rather than structuring your original post as a question asked out of interest or curiosity, it reads as an attack on the intelligence of all females.
Reply 257
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Why are you insulting their inability to use English when you titled the thread "Girls lack general knowledge?", which is a lazy way of saying 'DO girls lack general knowledge', and then saying "It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'"?
Your "proof" is a German article, but as I'm sure you know that isn't really adequate in terms of proof. Apart from that your evidence is entirely anecdotal, and in addition, rather than structuring your original post as a question asked out of interest or curiosity, it reads as an attack on the intelligence of all females.

Well originally I left the question open ended. Did girls lack general knowledge, and if so why. However with the evidence being put forth, this very much changed that question to 'why'.

Also, that 'article' is a summary of a research paper by a professor, and that paper was published, therefore if that is not solid evidence, then what on earth is?
Original post by lizlaz350
I do personally have quite good general knowledge and always have, but I do know many girls who just aren't aware of anything that goes on.

Then again, I also know many boys who have an equal lack of general knowledge.

Does it matter if they don't? Are people too silly to accept that others are different from them?
Well originally I left the question open ended. Did girls lack general knowledge, and if so why. However with the evidence being put forth, this very much changed that question to 'why'.

Also, that 'article' is a summary of a research paper by a professor, and that paper was published, therefore if that is not solid evidence, then what on earth is?

As I'm sure you know, since you stated that you go to a good university, one paper is not enough; there is probably one somewhere which says exactly the opposite. I wouldn't describe the question as being "open ended" and the way you phrased it made it sound very biased. Also, I'm sure that you know from writing essays that you never references newspaper articles if you want to be taken seriously, and should instead go for the original paper (even on TSR, since someone will try and pick you apart somehow anyway). Admittedly I'm rubbish at that sort of thing because I can't be bothered, but a quick google search shows that you might have been better off using this as "proof": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6W4M-44N3M18-2&_user=10&_coverDate=02/28/2002&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_origin=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1579003368&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=bdec56bcaf2ea4de35db137554c343a6&searchtype=a
But even then, you're unlikely to win friends since the way you write makes you comes across as sexist and biased.
Good day.

Latest

Trending

Trending