The Student Room Group

We're all going to die one day..so why is suicide wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lightburns
I am an atheist, and I now am not depressed or anything. I like life now. Before, I did not. Life was still fascinating, but ultimately is was also incredibly painful. It is hard to look back on how I was. It is very possible to get to a point where life is so wretched that it most certainly is not worth living. It doesn't matter what you read when you reach this.

There are situations where it is not possible to make life better, or that it will take so long to get better that the suffering is too much. For some people, it is completely understandable why they would want to take their own life. If they want to help people, they can make sure they are an organ donor / donated body to science, and put a charity in their will.

Yes, I have to admit there are some extreme cases for which assisted suicide is the best option.
Original post by Retrodiction
That's like saying murder is ok because everyone's going to die some day.

But seriously, suicide is a personal choice, I don't think it's wrong at all.

Suicide is liking cutting your spaghetti with a knife. It's not actually wrong, but you still shouldn't do it. :biggrin:
Original post by Glowy Amoeba
Suicide is liking cutting your spaghetti with a knife. It's not actually wrong, but you still shouldn't do it. :biggrin:

More like eating it with a spork rather than a fork. It looks weird, but some people prefer to eat it that way. :biggrin:

Suicide is like going hungry because you hate spaghetti.

It's a personal choice; who are you to say that somebody you don't know, and whose situation you're ignorant of, shouldn't do it?
It's a personal choice; who are you to say that somebody you don't know, and whose situation you're ignorant of, shouldn't do it?

People never exhaust all possibilities to improve their lives. I'm just trying to provide some motivation to try. Who knows, maybe I saved a life with my lame humorous post? Freedom over whether we choose to live or not is the only true freedom we have, so it must be used carefully and not over a whim.
Suicide will make them feel worse though, seeing as you clearly were living an unhappy life to do this. It would be easier to take if they know that you died happy, especially living a long, worthwhile life.
Original post by littlepotatoe
Fine, you think suicide is ok, I don't. End of

It's more of an issue that you think taking one's own life is selfish, but don't think the same way about people staying alive when they really feel it's not worth living for the sake of other people's feelings.
Problem with suicide is that its selfish.

You don't just affect yourself, you affect all those around you that loved you.

That's what stopped me. You have to think of the others who won't have you in their lives.
People never exhaust all possibilities to improve their lives. I'm just trying to provide some motivation to try. Who knows, maybe I saved a life with my lame humorous post? Freedom over whether we choose to live or not is the only true freedom we have, so it must be used carefully and not over a whim.

Sure, it can sometimes be a short-sighted decision. I'll concede that. But it's one thing to call a decision short-sighted, and another one completely to call a decision wrong. To assert that something is wrong requires an objective model of morality and ethics, which doesn't exist.
If I were to commit suicide, I wouldn't care about how it would affect anyone. Call me selfish but I just really could care less about my "family" or "friends".
Didn't mean to post that as anonymous. Lol.
commiting suicide is the most selfish act ever.
Sure, it can sometimes be a short-sighted decision. I'll concede that. But it's one thing to call a decision short-sighted, and another one completely to call a decision wrong. To assert that something is wrong requires an objective model of morality and ethics, which doesn't exist.

I wasn't calling suicide wrong! I clearly stated the opposite. Suicide is not wrong, however you get no cookie points for it.
Urrgh, I am sick of listening to expressions like 'suicide is wrong', 'suicide is a sin' and so on. Suicide is a personal choice. It is selfish to force someone to go on living in pain if his mind clearly does not function properly and nothing can help it get fixed.

If life slaps you around all the time, give it the bullet. Abrahamic religions are nothing but a brainwashing bane.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 115
Suicide is self expression.
Reply 116
Immanuel Kant argues against suicide in Fundamental Principles of The Metaphysic of Morals. In accordance with the second formulation of his categorical imperative, Kant argues that, "He who contemplates suicide should ask himself whether his action can be consistent with the idea of humanity as an end in itself." Kant's theory looks at the act only, and not at its outcomes and consequences. You would then have to think whether you would be willing to universalise the act: to claim everyone should behave that way. Kant argues that if a person chooses to commit suicide, that is using themselves as a means to satisfy themselves, but a person cannot be used "...merely as means, but must in all actions always be considered as an end in himself." Therefore, it is unethical to commit suicide to satisfy oneself.
I guess because it goes againt every human instinct we have ever had, the main one being survival. I think it's wrong also because it is extremely selfish, putting your family through that tbh. I have felt suicidal and helpless, but I would never kill myself, because, well it's just completely wasting maybe 50 years of life you have left, which may or may not get better. For all you know, you might win the lottery, or whatever you want to happen etc. Suicide is a complete cop out, and I don't think it's weak not to commit suicide. I think it's weak not to do anything about a bad situation, but suicide is not really solving a problem, it's avoiding dealing with anything ever again. I think you're lucky that you couldn't do it in the end.
Good Luck
x
This thread is just "wah wah wah" and "I'm such a hardcore pussy that it makes me strong".
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
I guess because it goes againt every human instinct we have ever had, the main one being survival. I think it's wrong also because it is extremely selfish, putting your family through that tbh. I have felt suicidal and helpless, but I would never kill myself, because, well it's just completely wasting maybe 50 years of life you have left, which may or may not get better. For all you know, you might win the lottery, or whatever you want to happen etc. Suicide is a complete cop out, and I don't think it's weak not to commit suicide. I think it's weak not to do anything about a bad situation, but suicide is not really solving a problem, it's avoiding dealing with anything ever again. I think you're lucky that you couldn't do it in the end.
Good Luck
x

It is as selfish to force someone to live when it's clear that they want it not. Very easy to say it's selfish. Let's see if you can disprove this. No offense but I just don't like to hear that suicide is selfish because things are more complicated than it looks.:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending