The Student Room Group

Bachelor, and Masters?

Okay, obviously I would prefer to take the Masters. But what if I apply for the masters, and don't get the grades, but if I applied for the bachelors in the first play, I would of actually gotten a place?

Should I apply to both, or just the masters? arghhhhh...

PLEASE HELP :cool:
Reply 1
I guess you mean an integrated masters? I am under the impression that if you miss your offer, you are downgraded to the 3-year bachelors degree, or depending on competition/other factors, you are either kept on the 4-year programme anyway or upgraded to it on a later date.
Reply 2
also.. i no this sounds stupid. but im not 100% sure on which course I want to take (all based on IT) can i apply to them all at the same univerisyt. or is it one course per univerisyt?
Reply 3
Many places will offer you the BSc course if you originally applied to MSci, but narrowly missed your offer (but still meet the requirements for the BSc). This may not be universal though so you should ask the university, just in case.

You can apply to more than one course at the same university. However, the university might know that you've applied to different courses and this would make you seem undecided and would thus probably lower your chances of being accepted. If you want to apply to more than one course at the same university and they're all fairly similar and in the same department then you should definitely ask whether there's any point in applying to more than one course (the reason being that sometimes a department may not have separate quotas for similar courses, essentially meaning that you're applying to a department rather than a specific course, and if they don't have these separate quotas but you've applied for multiple courses within that department then you've wasted those "extra" choices).
Original post by Peregrinum
Many places will offer you the BSc course if you originally applied to MSci, but narrowly missed your offer (but still meet the requirements for the BSc). This may not be universal though so you should ask the university, just in case.

It will depend on how many people meet their offer for the BSc course so even if it is sometimes done, the university won't really be able to tell you right now as they won't know until results day. It isn't a set in stone procedure.

If they've got say, 50 places in total (roughly 30 for the BSc and 20 for the MSc) then they have 40 people with the BSc as a firm and 25 people with the MSc as a firm, it could end up that 21 people meet their offer for the MSc along with 29 people for the BSc. This would mean they'd have 50 people in total, so the 4 people who missed their offer for the MSc couldn't be given a place on the BSc course as there simply isn't room even if they have higher grades than the people being accepted for that course.
Reply 5
Original post by oxymoronic
It will depend on how many people meet their offer for the BSc course so even if it is sometimes done, the university won't really be able to tell you right now as they won't know until results day. It isn't a set in stone procedure.

If they've got say, 50 places in total (roughly 30 for the BSc and 20 for the MSc) then they have 40 people with the BSc as a firm and 25 people with the MSc as a firm, it could end up that 21 people meet their offer for the MSc along with 29 people for the BSc. This would mean they'd have 50 people in total, so the 4 people who missed their offer for the MSc couldn't be given a place on the BSc course as there simply isn't room even if they have higher grades than the people being accepted for that course.

I know all that, which is why I said to check it out before making any decisions. However, there are places where applying for the MSci has an automatic built-in BSc insurance (Sheffield's Animal and Plant Sciences courses, for example).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending