The Student Room Group

Why do so many people take MDMA?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IlexBlue
Anyone who does drugs is a complete and utter prat. A short-term high in exchange for ****ing yourself up long-term? Your body wasn't made to handle that stuff.

I await negs from the supposed "I can stop anytime I want"/ "recreational" druggies.

I completely agree with you . If we were supposed to feel the way these drugs make you feel then why were we not born with the capability of feeling that way? I'm very much someone who can't remember the last time they had alcohol / caffeine etc, I'm all for non-processed foods and things.
Reply 41
Original post by WarmEye
But you can be physically addicted to it right? I've got a friend who told me he HAS to have mdma when he goes clubbing.

Uhm- I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get addicted to it physically/chemically; although some people will get hooked on anything, including chocolate, so go figure.

Also- it may make you a wee bit annoying but it never takes control of what you do in the same way that alcohol does- it's far less dangerous of a drug than the demon drink.
Reply 42
Original post by Alfiep

Original post by Alfiep
Because it doesn't actually screw you up (apart from the comedown- think really really really bad hangover, but it's possible to reduce it through various means), and it's SO AWESOME as a drug. Seriously- it's so much fun! Don't knock it til you've tried it.

This is actually a pretty dumb thing to say - it does screw you up....trust me! Back in the day (around 10-15 years ago) MDMA was not synthetic....which it is now...i.e. it is manufactured and is not real. Whilst you do have an amasing experience most of the time, it will eventually leave you with some issues that you will not notice until you are older. Persistant use is going to damage you.

By all means do it, as you need to experience these things, just control your intake as it does f*** up your brain!
Reply 43
Original post by Spetznaaz
It is not physically addictive, and the idea of someone fighting on MDMA is laughable, mdma just does not make users aggressive. It can be psychologically addictive yes, but remember, so is chocolate.

You do not lose control or do stupid things, unless your an idiot.

People seem to think all drugs make you lose control because the only drug they are really familiar with is alcohol, which does indeed make you lose control.

OP - People do MDMA, because 200mg of pure MDMA is the closest your ever going to get to Heaven.

It is entirely overwhelming, it's like every single thing in the world is right; there's no anxiety, all the boundries are broken down, love just flows.

Someone doing pure md for the first time usually says something along the lines of 'omg omg this is so ****ing amazing.. omg how is this possible... i ****ing love you' etc.

Obviously like any drug MDMA has it's risks, never EVER take it if you are on MAOI anti depressants, and always do your research beforehand.

Goodness, I wish I didn't read that because that post has almost persuaded me to try it one day.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by insignificant

I completely agree with you . If we were supposed to feel the way these drugs make you feel then why were we not born with the capability of feeling that way? I'm very much someone who can't remember the last time they had alcohol / caffeine etc, I'm all for non-processed foods and things.

The moral high ground you stand on is about 1mm high......we live in a free society....meaning we should be free to do whatever we like....at our risk and cost.

If someone wants to inject cat vomit into their eye then why not let them. If someone wants to have a drink of alcohol why not? If someone wants to smoke a substance that grows naturally all over the place, then why not? Its about as organic as you can get!

It should be about choice - oh, and BTW, we are born with the capability to feel that way....that's why it has an effect on people...and thats why most of this stuff grows naturally..i.e the plant gave it to us....coco, opium, marajuana, mescalin...the list does go on.

I am not advocating drug use, just saying it is a choice, like being vegetarian. You may not agree but it is up to us....EMPOWER THE PEOPLE!

If you kill yourself doing it them thats your look out. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by profoflife
This is actually a pretty dumb thing to say - it does screw you up....trust me! Back in the day (around 10-15 years ago) MDMA was not synthetic....which it is now...i.e. it is manufactured and is not real. Whilst you do have an amasing experience most of the time, it will eventually leave you with some issues that you will not notice until you are older. Persistant use is going to damage you.

By all means do it, as you need to experience these things, just control your intake as it does f*** up your brain!

What problems occur in later life?
Reply 46
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
What problems occur in later life?

The biggest one wuold be concentration issues, attension span, big short term memory problems, somtimes insomnia, capcity for learning i.e. cognitive ability...also, it is hard to explain but if you have had MDMA before you will know what i mean.....some of the feelings you get like when you are listening to music and the hairs on your back raise.....you sometimes think the same thing is happening but it isnt....its like a recalled memory....you may also grind your teeth without realising.....different people will get different associated issues.

Also worth noting....if you are taking MDMA you will probably also be doing other stuff as well, like smoking, 2CVs, poppers, drinking, trips, whatever....and it all adds up.
Reply 47
Original post by n1r4v
Jeez, I wish I didn't read that because that post has almost persuaded me to try it one day.

Same.

The biggest one wuold be concentration issues, attension span, big short term memory problems, somtimes insomnia, capcity for learning i.e. cognitive ability...also, it is hard to explain but if you have had MDMA before you will know what i mean.....some of the feelings you get like when you are listening to music and the hairs on your back raise.....you sometimes think the same thing is happening but it isnt....its like a recalled memory....you may also grind your teeth without realising.....different people will get different associated issues.

Also worth noting....if you are taking MDMA you will probably also be doing other stuff as well, like smoking, 2CVs, poppers, drinking, trips, whatever....and it all adds up.

Aand I'm put off again.

:colondollar:
The moral high ground you stand on is about 1mm high......we live in a free society....meaning we should be free to do whatever we like....at our risk and cost.

If someone wants to inject cat vomit into their eye then why not let them. If someone wants to have a drink of alcohol why not? If someone wants to smoke a substance that grows naturally all over the place, then why not? Its about as organic as you can get!

It should be about choice - oh, and BTW, we are born with the capability to feel that way....that's why it has an effect on people...and thats why most of this stuff grows naturally..i.e the plant gave it to us....coco, opium, marajuana, mescalin...the list does go on.

I am not advocating drug use, just saying it is a choice, like being vegetarian. You may not agree but it is up to us....EMPOWER THE PEO

If you kill yourself doing it them thats your look out. :smile:

It may be a free society .. But if it was acceptable for people to do drugs.. Surely that would have a detrimental effect on society.. Society wouldnt function, everyone would be ****ed out their tree
Reply 49
Its not what I'd call a 'gateway' drug, but in my experience is certainly the precursor to far more damaging substances, never mind of course the whole brain swelling thing if not treated with utmost care.

But I don't think I've known anyone who's taken it at all regularly who then hasn't become dependant upon it just to 'have a good time', and then moved on to charlie and other more damaging substances. Indeed I once had the pleasure of seeing a friend's nasal lining collapse and come out of his nose in nice big red chunks as he'd inhaled so much and so many different substances.

Indeed it seems that of my peers I was perhaps the only able at the time to stick to their line int he sand, of course all those that I'm still in touch with (all two of them) now don't touch anything except alcohol or tobacco, and one (as well as myself) has now given up smoking and (again like myself) hardly ever drinks these days either... And both these friends I can say have certainly be adversely affected by drugs of some kind or another. One has the shakes, and the other certainly is nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, neither am I, but he certainly lost his edge around the age of 18-19, whilst I'm sure mine is more attributable to recent sleep deprivation associated with young children and a busy life...
Reply 50

It may be a free society .. But if it was acceptable for people to do drugs.. Surely that would have a detrimental effect on society.. Society wouldnt function, everyone would be ****ed out their tree

Thats utter rubbish...are you telling me if it was legal everyone would be doing drugs? Garbage. Pretty dim view of society you have!

Legal or illegal, if you are going to do it, you will and vica versa.
Reply 51
OP should talktofrank. Before knocking drugs without knowing their effects

It's acceptable to drink, is society constantly pissed out of its nut?
Reply 53

As humans we aren't meant to travel at 70mph naturally... Usually that is reserved for Cheetahs. Does that mean you don't get in cars or on trains? Do you also shun conventional medicine? I mean the risks of MDMA are no where near the risks of painkillers, which 99.9% of people find themselves on during their life time. I'm guessing you don't take paracetamol when you're in agony? The whole nature vs synthetic argument is bs, you need to assess each substance on its own merits. For instance I doubt if given the choice you'd decide to take some hemlock over mdma... but wait hemlock is all natural :wink:. At the end of the day nothing in our modern existence is natural.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by IlexBlue
Anyone who does drugs is a complete and utter prat. A short-term high in exchange for ****ing yourself up long-term? Your body wasn't made to handle that stuff.

I await negs from the supposed "I can stop anytime I want"/ "recreational" druggies.

There is no proof it ****s you up long term? There is some proof that people who with a pre-disposition can become mentally ill from it, but having worked in some mental health centres it seems like a lot of patients are naturally inclined to take anything they can get their hands on anyway... Almost all of them also drink to excess, and they are pretty much encouraged to smoke. And 'I can stop anytime I want', doesn't really fit me, given that I haven't done any MDMA for years now, and I doubt I ever will again. Everyone I know who took MDMA has cut it right down to once or twice a year, if at all.
Reply 55
Original post by Stomm
Its not what I'd call a 'gateway' drug, but in my experience is certainly the precursor to far more damaging substances, never mind of course the whole brain swelling thing if not treated with utmost care.

But I don't think I've known anyone who's taken it at all regularly who then hasn't become dependant upon it just to 'have a good time', and then moved on to charlie and other more damaging substances. Indeed I once had the pleasure of seeing a friend's nasal lining collapse and come out of his nose in nice big red chunks as he'd inhaled so much and so many different substances.

Indeed it seems that of my peers I was perhaps the only able at the time to stick to their line int he sand, of course all those that I'm still in touch with (all two of them) now don't touch anything except alcohol or tobacco, and one (as well as myself) has now given up smoking and (again like myself) hardly ever drinks these days either... And both these friends I can say have certainly be adversely affected by drugs of some kind or another. One has the shakes, and the other certainly is nowhere near as sharp as he used to be, neither am I, but he certainly lost his edge around the age of 18-19, whilst I'm sure mine is more attributable to recent sleep deprivation associated with young children and a busy life...

I think the main reason a lot of people go on to use charlie after trying MDMA is that it is a logical progression. Common sense would dictate that if the government lied about MDMA then they probably lied about cocaine as well, given that the streets aren't littered with coke heads. Furthermore the risks of dealing MDMA and coke are near identical, so you often find them sold from the same guy. So the illegality definitely leads to some cocaine use amongst MDMA users, but more often than not it's the other way around, given how prevalent coke is now (something like 10% of all people have tried it now?!). Lucky for me (i guess..) I saw my dads friend lose his house, his wife, and his kids to coke. Then again I know a lot of people who had substantially ket habits, and that never seemed to phase me. I get easily addicted to stuff, but i'm not weak so when I realise I have a problem I have the strength to jack it in.

How old are you now? Pretty much everyone I know has calmed right down. I don't do any drugs, not even drink. I only know one major **** up, and I think even he's stopped now. I'm obviously not counting people younger than me that I know, because they haven't gotten it out of their system.
(edited 13 years ago)
I know people who take it once or twice a year (festivals, road trips) but don't drink or smoke at all.

I suspect that's relatively safe if you know exactly what you're taking.
Reply 57
Original post by Elipsis

Original post by Elipsis
I think the main reason a lot of people go on to use charlie after trying MDMA is that it is a logical progression. Common sense would dictate that if the government lied about MDMA then they probably lied about cocaine as well, given that the streets aren't littered with coke heads. Furthermore the risks of dealing MDMA and coke are near identical, so you often find them sold from the same guy. So the illegality definitely leads to some cocaine use amongst MDMA users, but more often than not it's the other way around, given how prevalent coke is now (something like 10% of all people have tried it now?!). Lucky for me (i guess..) I saw my dads friend lose his house, his wife, and his kids to coke. Then again I know a lot of people who had substantially ket habits, and that never seemed to phase me. I get easily addicted to stuff, but i'm not weak so when I realise I have a problem I have the strength to jack it in.

How old are you now? Pretty much everyone I know has calmed right down. I don't do any drugs, not even drink. I only know one major **** up, and I think even he's stopped now. I'm obviously not counting people younger than me that I know, because they haven't gotten it out of their system.

Can i just ask how old you are?

I dont exactly agree with cocaine being a lgoical progression from MDMA......my view is, if you are prone to taking drugs, i.e of that disposition, then most recreational users will smoke puff, do some coke, take pills, trips, maybe poppers, 2cvs, mushrooms....and stop and heroin and crack pretty much.

My point being, if you take MDMA, you will undoubtedly try coke, or vica versa, by definition of being someone interested in dopamine release in your brain.
I've only ever taken it once, but would rather remain anonymous just because of the negative stigma attached to any recreational drug use.

I'm generally pretty against drugs, to the extent that I wouldn't generally take them but not to the extent of preaching to others about what they should or shouldn't do.

I wouldn't go so far as recommending trying MDMA once as thats for others to decide, drugs are not for everyone.

I was in my first year at uni and was at Fabric with some friends, love the music in there and normally only drink alcohol and would never take drugs. Some of my friends had some pure mdma and when I was a bit drunk I dipped my finger in and had a little, maybe did this a few times over the course of the night. The feeling was truly amazing, just pure euphoria. It felt like when you cum but even better. Made me really empathetic, happy, everyone was my friend. I lost my phone that night but just didn't care as I felt so happy (I found it again for those that are interested). Never experienced anything like it.

I have never done it again as I am satisfied doing it just the once but I am glad I experienced it. For me I think if it wasn't spontaneous and if I know what to expect then it wouldn't be as good as the first time so I'm content not doing it again, plus drugs are not for me.

I did try about a quarter/half of a pill after this experience, probably a month later. I was really skint and couldn't afford drinks and someone offered me it so I took a little. Hated that, wasn't the same at all and have never touched any drugs since.

I had a pretty bad come down from both MDMA and the pill, it was probably a few days before I was 100% again and it is impossible to get to sleep when you get home. The MDMA was an awesome experience though :-)
Oh an I agree with the heaven comment, another reason I am content with only experiencing it once.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending