The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Archaeology in 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ash816
Since you're already at university, which do you think is better, catered or self-catered; ensuite or shared bathroom?

I went for self-catered because I'm vegetarian and I like to be able to cook my own food when I want it. As for bathrooms, I'm in a flat with 4 other people and we share a bathroom. Before I applied for accommodation I got caught up in this "I MUST have an ensuite" mindset, until I actually thought about it. The kitchen and bathroom are cleaned weekly by housekeeping staff, and really, it's fine sharing. Plus, there's a BIG difference in the costs between this accommodation and halls with ensuites. I definitely think it's worth it to save the money and share.

Original post by FamousFourTops
I
Also, has anyone heard of Ethnoarchaeology and could explain it to me?? So many conflicting sources :frown:

I just looked it up in one of my textbooks:

"Another fundamental method of approach for the social archaeologist is ethnoarchaeology. It involves the study of both the present-day use and significance of artifacts, buildings and structures within the living societies in question, and the way these material things become incorporated into the archaeological record - what happens to them when they are thrown away or (in the case of buildings and structures) torn down or abandoned. It is therefore an indirect approach to the understanding of any past society."

- Renfrew and Bahn (1996) Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practice.
Reply 21
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I've applied for BA at UCL ,Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham and Exeter, got offers from all of them except UCL where I have to wait til monday to get into school and find out if they've emailed me a questionnaire or a rejection :eek3:

I've also applied for Exeter. How long did they take to send their decision?
Original post by ash816

Original post by ash816
I've also applied for Exeter. How long did they take to send their decision?

A week I think, my application got processed on the 8th November and I got my offer on the 16th :smile: I think I might have just got lucky with timing though, when did you send yours off?
Original post by ash816
I've also one offer from Sheffield. What did they ask you?

Just for curiosity, where were those excavations you participated in?
Good luck for your UCL application :wink:

Their offer was ABB :smile:

I participated in the Fin Cop Hill fort excavations in the Peak District, Derbyshire, and Hungate in York :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by dirtyoldriver
A week I think, my application got processed on the 8th November and I got my offer on the 16th :smile: I think I might have just got lucky with timing though, when did you send yours off?

I send mine in the end of October, I guess on the 27th. What did they ask you?
Reply 25
Original post by portugueseninja
I went for self-catered because I'm vegetarian and I like to be able to cook my own food when I want it. As for bathrooms, I'm in a flat with 4 other people and we share a bathroom. Before I applied for accommodation I got caught up in this "I MUST have an ensuite" mindset, until I actually thought about it. The kitchen and bathroom are cleaned weekly by housekeeping staff, and really, it's fine sharing. Plus, there's a BIG difference in the costs between this accommodation and halls with ensuites. I definitely think it's worth it to save the money and share.

Did you have any work experience prior to start the course?
Original post by ash816
Did you have any work experience prior to start the course?

As a mature student, I was working before I came to university, I didn't come straight from school. So yes I have work experience, but nothing related to my course, I had no experience of archaeology at all.
Original post by Tabers
From what I can think is that it is looking at humans and seeing how they use objects. I found This which talks about Lewis Binford and what he found. I remember using him as a case study last year.

I just looked it up in one of my textbooks

Thank you both so much! :smile:
Original post by ash816

Original post by ash816
I send mine in the end of October, I guess on the 27th. What did they ask you?

They didn't ask me anything, I just got a straight offer :smile:
Original post by Tabers
Which one have you applied for at Worcester? I'd be doing the BA one, Archaeology and Heritage studies as I can do it as a joint degree with Ecology.

Hi, yes that's the one I have applied for :smile:
Reply 30
As a mature student, I was working before I came to university, I didn't come straight from school. So yes I have work experience, but nothing related to my course, I had no experience of archaeology at all.

Ok, one last question :P Do you think having work experience in archaeology is necessary/important in the first year of the course?
Thanks for all your answers. :smile:
Just got a UCL questionnaire. I swear their admissions process is so dragged out, if I go through all this and an interview and THEN get a rejection it's going to be awful!
Reply 32
Original post by Pink_butterfly
Hi, yes that's the one I have applied for :smile:

Woo! It looks really good. I'm still thinking of whats best to do, however it does mean that in the first year I'd be able to concentrate on Ecology because I've done a lot of the stuff at A level and then I can also concentrate on Archaeology after that. It's a big interest I have and hope that if I did it I would be able to work for english heritage/national trust/unesco because I would be able to do the ecology/conservation side and the archaeology side.
Original post by Tabers
Woo! It looks really good. I'm still thinking of whats best to do, however it does mean that in the first year I'd be able to concentrate on Ecology because I've done a lot of the stuff at A level and then I can also concentrate on Archaeology after that. It's a big interest I have and hope that if I did it I would be able to work for english heritage/national trust/unesco because I would be able to do the ecology/conservation side and the archaeology side.

Yes, I do like the look of the course. I have been volunteering for the national trust so it would fit in really well with that. When did you send off your UCAS??
Reply 34
Yes, I do like the look of the course. I have been volunteering for the national trust so it would fit in really well with that. When did you send off your UCAS??

27th October. I tried to get work experience with the national trust at the local house (well about 45 mins away but its near my Grans) but I think that it was owned by the National Trust but managed by the council or something and they wouldn't let me. I've done a working holiday with the National Trust but that was for conservation. I'm waiting for them to put this summers up, fingers crossed there is something archaeology and ecology based there.
Original post by Tabers
27th October. I tried to get work experience with the national trust at the local house (well about 45 mins away but its near my Grans) but I think that it was owned by the National Trust but managed by the council or something and they wouldn't let me. I've done a working holiday with the National Trust but that was for conservation. I'm waiting for them to put this summers up, fingers crossed there is something archaeology and ecology based there.

Have you had any offers yet? It seems that Arch departments take their sweet time to do anything!! Everyone else has been getting replies left, right and centre except me!
Reply 36
Have you had any offers yet? It seems that Arch departments take their sweet time to do anything!! Everyone else has been getting replies left, right and centre except me!

I've had my archaeology offer from Worcester. I've also had all of my others but they are for ecology/conservation rather than archaeology. Worcester is the only place that lets me do a joint honour with archaeology and ecology.

What about you?
Original post by Tabers
I've had my archaeology offer from Worcester. I've also had all of my others but they are for ecology/conservation rather than archaeology. Worcester is the only place that lets me do a joint honour with archaeology and ecology.

What about you?

No, nothing yet. I sent my application off on 25th Nov - starting to get a bit worried now!
No, nothing yet. I sent my application off on 25th Nov - starting to get a bit worried now!

Where have you applied? i sent my ucas on 22nd Nov and only had 2 replies back so i wouldn't worry just yet, i know that's easier said than done though!
Original post by Whisky Chaser
Where have you applied? i sent my ucas on 22nd Nov and only had 2 replies back so i wouldn't worry just yet, i know that's easier said than done though!

Thanks lol. I've applied to Unis of Bristol, Birmingham, Worcester and Reading. I am desperate to go to Bristol though. It doesn't help that I have zero patience!

Where have you applied too?

Quick Reply

Latest