The Student Room Group

Homeless people

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fusion
Do you really blame them for having substance abuse problems in light of the fact their sleeping on the streets, particuarly in the freezing cold, with all sorts of traumatic life experiences rummaging around their heads.

I said nothing about blame. I said why the general public tend to not give them money or sympathy.
Original post by Converse
I'm guessing your friend was homeless at the time?

I will ever respect homeless people. Nor will I ever help them - I have a thing about not helping people who wont help themselves. Also, if the tables were turned, they wouldn't bat an eyelid, so neither would I.

http://www.soldiersoffthestreet.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Soldiers-Off-The-Street-SOTS/146394338732643?v=photos Still won't help the homeless?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22

I personally wont, but do respect the soldiers and anyone who helps them. Fact of the matter is that is that most of the homeless are not soldiers.
I personally wont, but do respect the soldiers and anyone who helps them. Fact of the matter is that is that most of the homeless are not soldiers.

Show me proof :smile: I think you'll find a fair few are :smile: and if they aren't a lot of them have no choice but to be there. Some choose to, fair do's, and not everybody on the street deserves help imo, but it's like JSA and the "scum" that we see on the front of our newspapers a lot - the bad ones are shown because the good ones don't make interesting news.
Reply 24
Original post by KellyWellyWoo537
Show me proof :smile: I think you'll find a fair few are :smile: and if they aren't a lot of them have no choice but to be there. Some choose to, fair do's, and not everybody on the street deserves help imo, but it's like JSA and the "scum" that we see on the front of our newspapers a lot - the bad ones are shown because the good ones don't make interesting news.

I think we both know that ex-soldiers make up a very small percentage of the homeless. Unless you can prove otherwise?

And I do agree with your closing point, but I stand by my earlier point that I would never take the time to help the homeless. Especially as they are usually so deceitful.
Reply 25
I'm guessing your friend was homeless at the time?

I will ever respect homeless people. Nor will I ever help them - I have a thing about not helping people who wont help themselves. Also, if the tables were turned, they wouldn't bat an eyelid, so neither would I.

lol, you seem to assume that ALL homeless people CHOOSE to be homeless, this is not the case. While we take things for granted sitting in a heated home with a feast laid down on the table, they're in the cold thinking on how are they going to be able to eat. We are all human and it's in our nature to help others who can't help themselves.
Reply 26
Original post by Adam Ben
lol, you seem to assume that ALL homeless people CHOOSE to be homeless, this is not the case. While we take things for granted sitting in a heated home with a feast laid down on the table, they're in the cold thinking on how are they going to be able to eat. We are all human and it's in our nature to help others who can't help themselves.

I never said that they choose to be homeless, but the choices that we make affect our lives. In a country like England, everybody has access to education etc and thus there are very few excuses to be homeless. So why should I help someone who could have made something of themself. Learn the hard way.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
I never said that they choose to be homeless, but the choices that we make affect our lives. In a country like England, everybody has access to education etc and thus there are very few excuses to be homeless. So why should I help someone who could have made something of themself. Learn the hard way.

I think you have a very arrogant opinion. If you refuse to talk to them or find out anything about them, how do you know if they havent tried to improve their situation? There is a reason many of them are addicts, you dont become an addict for fun. Alcohol numbs their pain and warms them up. Once you are an addict it is incredibly hard to get out of this, especially if you dont have the social network to support you. You should do some research on this before you judge them all.

Alcoholism destroys the brain and often results in psychiatric disorders and depression, you are not advised to just stop drinking abruptly because it can be very dangerous plus the withdrawal effects will be unbearable to cope with without any help. It is people like you who dont even think they are worth talking to that make them feel even worse about their situation.

It is easy sitting on a high horse and looking down on those who became homeless. We are so lucky not to be in this situation. Saying it is their own fault they became homeless is plain ignorant. You cant generalise it, they all have their own individual story.

Fair enough if you dont wanna give them money because you worry that it will be used for alcohol or drugs. Why dont you go and buy them some food instead or give them warm clothes.

It is obvious that you are clueless about this topic and i think you should volunteer at a homeless shelter to gain some perspective.
Reply 28
Original post by Leonie01
I think you have a very arrogant opinion. If you refuse to talk to them or find out anything about them, how do you know if they havent tried to improve their situation? There is a reason many of them are addicts, you dont become an addict for fun. Alcohol numbs their pain and warms them up. Once you are an addict it is incredibly hard to get out of this, especially if you dont have the social network to support you. You should do some research on this before you judge them all.

Alcoholism destroys the brain and often results in psychiatric disorders and depression, you are not advised to just stop drinking abruptly because it can be very dangerous plus the withdrawal effects will be unbearable to cope with without any help. It is people like you who dont even think they are worth talking to that make them feel even worse about their situation.

It is easy sitting on a high horse and looking down on those who became homeless. We are so lucky not to be in this situation. Saying it is their own fault they became homeless is plain ignorant. You cant generalise it, they all have their own individual story.

Fair enough if you dont wanna give them money because you worry that it will be used for alcohol or drugs. Why dont you go and buy them some food instead or give them warm clothes.

It is obvious that you are clueless about this topic and i think you should volunteer at a homeless shelter to gain some perspective.

When did I criticise their alcohol use?

It is not luck that keeps us from being homeless...

I'm sure their stories all involve them being lazy bastards at some point in their lives. Or getting into drugs before they even became homeless. Why should these people get my sympathy and money?

Why would I want to buy them anything. My mum and her 'partner' both work hard for what we have (we're only working class folk) so why should their hard earned money go to people who refuse to put in the effort?

Please don't try to take a moral high-ground when you know full well that you would go out of your way to avoid them on the street, just as 99.9% of other people who try to defend them would.

As for me volunteering... erm... no. I really couldn't care for another perspective of these people. Mine is correct for the vast majority of instances.

I'm sure their stories all involve them being lazy bastards at some point in their lives. Or getting into drugs before they even became homeless. Why should these people get my sympathy and money?

Why would I want to buy them anything. My mum and her 'partner' both work hard for what we have (we're only working class folk) so why should their hard earned money go to people who refuse to put in the effort?

Please don't try to take a moral high-ground when you know full well that you would go out of your way to avoid them on the street, just as 99.9% of other people who try to defend them would.

As for me volunteering... erm... no. I really couldn't care for another perspective of these people. Mine is correct for the vast majority of instances.

There but for the grace of God go you..
As I wrote in a threat some weeks ago, not all of them are drug addicts or drunks.
Some genuinely look in despair, and in these cases I often see no harm in giving them £2. It's not going to bankrupt me, and if it is enough for them to buy a cup of tea and some food then good.

I don't often give to the homeless, preferring to go via charities, however some weeks ago on the way to work a guy approached me asking for a bit of money, he was pretty distraught so I gave him £2. The same thing happend last week when I was on a business trip up in Sheffield.

Like I said, it's only £2 and if they are genuine then it might genuinely help them, so why not? Better than ignoring them.
Reply 31
Original post by Summergirl.x
For some french homework I've gotta come up with a 1 minute long transcript/presentation about homeless people. I can take one of two opinions and I've chosen the first:
What do you do when you see a homeless person?
"I don't stop. It's because they are alcoholics or drug addicts that these people are on the streets. I took pity once on a homeless guy from my area offering him a small job. He refused!"

So I guess that's basically the opinion that we shouldn't help the homeless. Bit extreme :s-smilie:

Anyway, if you have any points you could give me to contribute - because I am dreadful at thinking up idea points - it would be much appreciated :smile:

You can even turn it into a debate if you wish. But I just need a one sided argument for the moment.

Okay well this is my honest opinion:

I feel sorry for them, but they scare me. I'm scared if I get my purse out, they'll rob my bank card, or they'll attack me or something. Also, they sit in the most annoying places to make us feel bad. You know the pass under Knightsbridge? They're always in there, and when I walk through with shopping bags and they're like "Got any change Miss?" I always feel awful saying no because it's really obvious that I have. :/ My mother usually tells me to just not make eye contact and keep walking.

Reasons why not to help them, well what I said above about being attacked. Also, why are they homeless? We have a system in the UK to help the poor, why aren't they using it? They could be pretending to be homeless for money, trying to guilt trip people. They could get help from charities (I'd personally prefer to give to charity because it's reputable).
Reply 32
Original post by theths
do a handout where you know that resources are being put to good use?

In fairness, even with registered charities you don't know where your money's going.
"Why don't you just give that money to us, and we'll err... We'll see it gets to them..."
I know exactly where my money's going. Too that guy in town with three socks and one shoe.
And now its going to the off-license.
And then you get people saying, (not you, but just for argument's sake), "You can't do that! They'll spend it on booze!"
Well what did they think I was going to spend it on...

Still, you must admit, we are almost persuaded to NOT talk to the homeless. Or so I've found, at any rate. :confused:

Meh, I'd personally give my money direct to the poor guy. Let 'em spend it on what they want, I think. If they buy drugs and die of starvation or thirst, well, someone clearly made the wrong decision.
Reply 33
Original post by .Ali.
Reasons why not to help them, well what I said above about being attacked. Also, why are they homeless? We have a system in the UK to help the poor, why aren't they using it?

Hi,

I used to live on the street as a teenager after leaving home. I won't bore you with how it happened, though it was pretty nasty. There are a few reasons why they don't just go and get help.

The first is there is a priority list. When you go and ask for help, they ask you if you're female, have dependants, disabled or an immigrant, as they did for me. If you're none of the above, they tell you that you're not a priority and to give them an address and they'll contact you when they have something to assist.

Here lies the second problem. You can't claim benefits or get assistance without a fixed address. You also can't get a bank account. We used to sleep in the graveyard around this area, and some kind souls (living ones that is) would come around with hot drinks in the winter. After sleeping in soaking wet clothes over and over again, this was very welcome.

The third problem, which doesn't apply in all cases is age. They wouldn't help me because I was too young. I can see why they do it - to encourage young people to go back home. For me though, sleeping rough was heaven compared to that. There are some hostels that allow you to stay temporarily, but they're difficult as hell to get in to.

In my experience, drink and drugs are for the minority of the homeless. Even those that I met that did drink wouldn't harm a fly. They were more like eccentric old men with a million stories to tell. Drugs were rarely seen, but you could spot them a mile off. About 9 out of 10 of us were clean (in the substances sense anyway), but we were well aware that others walking past lumped us in to the addict box.

Crash course in 'is this homeless person a threat?'.

If they're shouting a screaming, or acting rowdy, stay away. If they're not, you have about as much a chance of running in to trouble as you do talking to any other stranger. The reason for this is because those of us who were sound of mind were very aware of how many lumped us in to the same, scary 'to be avoided' box - understandably so. We were deliberately extra humble, polite and friendly to put them at ease should someone stop to talk to us. We were also deliberate in not asking for more. Having to ask in the first place is degrading enough.

There was no hate for the rich either.

As far as I'm aware, we all managed to fix ourselves within a few years, purely from the donations of others (deposit on a flat is the big thing). We are now teachers, business owners, care workers, doctors, engineers, programmers, designers and the like and remain humbled by our experience. We are of course all paying back in to the system rather than draining it. So, if you see the quiet friendly type, and you're comfortable to do so, say hello. They won't lop your arms off and steal your pretty things.

Just a bit of a view from the other side if anyone is interested. Slightly longer than I anticipated :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
They are homeless for a reason. because they are scum. Sub human scum.
Reply 35
Original post by Moggs
Hi,

I used to live on the street as a teenager after leaving home. I won't bore you with how it happened, though it was pretty nasty. There are a few reasons why they don't just go and get help.

The first is there is a priority list. When you go and ask for help, they ask you if you're female, have dependants, disabled or an immigrant, as they did for me. If you're none of the above, they tell you that you're not a priority and to give them an address and they'll contact you when they have something to assist.

Here lies the second problem. You can't claim benefits or get assistance without a fixed address. You also can't get a bank account. We used to sleep in the graveyard around this area, and some kind souls (living ones that is) would come around with hot drinks in the winter. After sleeping in soaking wet clothes over and over again, this was very welcome.

The third problem, which doesn't apply in all cases is age. They wouldn't help me because I was too young. I can see why they do it - to encourage young people to go back home. For me though, sleeping rough was heaven compared to that. There are some hostels that allow you to stay temporarily, but they're difficult as hell to get in to.

In my experience, drink and drugs are for the minority of the homeless. Even those that I met that did drink wouldn't harm a fly. They were more like eccentric old men with a million stories to tell. Drugs were rarely seen, but you could spot them a mile off. About 9 out of 10 of us were clean (in the substances sense anyway), but we were well aware that others walking past lumped us in to the addict box.

Crash course in 'is this homeless person a threat?'.

If they're shouting a screaming, or acting rowdy, stay away. If they're not, you have about as much a chance of running in to trouble as you do talking to any other stranger. The reason for this is because those of us who were sound of mind were very aware of how many lumped us in to the same, scary 'to be avoided' box - understandably so. We were deliberately extra humble, polite and friendly to put them at ease should someone stop to talk to us. We were also deliberate in not asking for more. Having to ask in the first place is degrading enough.

There was no hate for the rich either.

As far as I'm aware, we all managed to fix ourselves within a few years, purely from the donations of others (deposit on a flat is the big thing). We are now teachers, business owners, care workers, doctors, engineers, programmers, designers and the like and remain humbled by our experience. We are of course all paying back in to the system rather than draining it. So, if you see the quiet friendly type, and you're comfortable to do so, say hello. They won't lop your arms off and steal your pretty things.

Just a bit of a view from the other side if anyone is interested. Slightly longer than I anticipated :tongue:

Wow, that's actually really interesting! I do feel bad for the genuine cases, but like I said, it's telling the difference between the scary ones who are going to attack and the ones who have been unfortunate. That's why I'd rather give to charities that will help, because at least I know my money will go to a good cause.

That said, if I have change in my hand that I haven't put away yet, I'd give them that, it's just I'm scared to get out my purse because you hear stories about gangs of robbers that ask for some change, and while you're getting it out, someone comes behind you and steals your phone or whatever.

That's actually ridiculous about the system for helping people. This is why I get angry with "dole riders", who just don't want to work. That money could be helping people who really need it. The welfare system in this country is a bit of a mess.

Anyway, congratulations to all of you for doing well, that's really inspiring, and that shows that people can turn their lives around. Good Luck for the future too. :smile:
I think we both know that ex-soldiers make up a very small percentage of the homeless. Unless you can prove otherwise?

And I do agree with your closing point, but I stand by my earlier point that I would never take the time to help the homeless. Especially as they are usually so deceitful.

http://www.thepavement.co.uk/story.php?story=62 Last November The Pavement ran a story on the figures for the number of ex-servicemen on the street, questioning the traditional figure of approximately 25 per cent of readers being ex-Forces. Ten years ago, a report published by ESAG claimed that nearly a quarter - 22 per cent - of those living on the streets had a military background. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/news/poppy-support/the-number-of-homeless-veterans-dropping-but-more-needs-to-be-done The researchers have estimated that there are around 1,100 single homeless veterans living in hostels or sleeping rough in London each night. That's just a) veterans and b)in London! :smile: scary to think that! And I don't agree with your point about being deceiful, that's like saying all old people smell and won't be quiet!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37

Where did i say you criticized their alcohol use? I only talked about it because you said they are all addicts and therefore deserve to be homeless and ignored. Again, why do you keep on claiming they refuse to put in the effort? How do you know this without having talked to them? Prejudices are an ugly thing.

Havent you thought about that maybe it is easier to get out of this with help from others? If you havent, then maybe you should do some research about the importance of social networks and family systems. It is much harder if you dont have anyone.

Your tendency to generalise everything is disturbing. Do you have any valid studies which indicate that they have all been " lazy bastards" at one time in their life? I doubt you will find them. They could have been runaway teens who became homeless, people who lost their jobs (you know, nothing unheard of in this economy) and couldnt find another job.

All of us who have money should give to those who havent. Thank God there are less selfish people around who dont mind sharing their hard earned money. Those who dont have any money can still volunteer.

Erm no, i dont avoid them and i dont give to every single one of them esp. those that seem intoxicated. I give to the homeless who sell a homeless magazine. This magazine is published once a month and tells their stories and has some other stuff in it. Homeless people in my city have the option to buy it from shelters for a small amount of money and then sell it for profit.

It is hardly being lazy standing around for hours in pedestrian zones selling magazines, these people are not drunk although you claim all homeless are. They are determined to improve their situation and i gladly buy a magazine or when i already have that magazine, i just give them some money anyways.

I am not taking a moral highground, i didnt claim i am mother teresa or the kindest person out there. But i dont generalise all homeless people and claim they have all been lazy, are deceitful and are all addicts. How rude of you to make a character assumption and say they are all deceitful yet you dont even know any.

I could make a character assumption of you but it would be ugly. You really seem to be a cold, selfish, judgemental person. I hope you will become kinder in the future and less bitter.
I give the odd £1 here and there, but as someone said above I prefer to give to charities, I think it's more effective in the long run.
Reply 39
I know that you've said that the opinion isn't your own OP. But as someone who has been officially classed as homeless before, I'd like to point out to everyone that homelessness can happen to anybody at any age for any reason. I for one did not drink or take drugs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending