The Student Room Group

What's your favorite alphabet?

From an aesthetic point of view? Personally I like Hangul (Korean alphabet)

So what's yours?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

the english one. it begins with a b c
I like the look of Greek and Russian even though I don't know what it means.
Arabic also looks nice, Hebrew isn't bad either.
alphabetti spaghetti
Hellenic
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Jonathan

I hate to be the one the break it to you, but there's no such thing as the English alphabet. The English language uses the Latin alphabet I'm afraid.
Reply 6
I quite like the Japanese Hiragana, though it's a syllabary and not an alphabet.
Arabic, Greek and Russian looks pretty interesting to me.
Reply 8
It is very difficult for me to distinguish my favourite alphabet. The Latin alphabet has taken over pretty much the majority of Indo-European languages, and some Austro-Asiatic languages. However personally, I would say my favourite alphabet is the Gaelic varient of the Latin alphabet and Devanagari.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Chucklefiend
From an acetic point of view? Personally I like Hangul (Korean alphabet)

So what's yours?

Acetic? You mean aesthetic?

And uh, there are plenty of orthographies that aren't alphabets. Naturally I adore the Chinese, Japanese and Korean scripts.
<3 cyrillic
Original post by Sir Jonathan

This is the Latin one:smile:
Reply 12
I've always though Tolkien's alphabet for his Elvish languages was beautiful.
Reply 13
Original post by Xurvi
I quite like the Japanese Hiragana, though it's a syllabary and not an alphabet.

Hiragana looks really really pretty, although when all three writing systems (hiragana, katagana + kanji) all get meshed together then I don't find it so pretty anymore :biggrin:

The korean alphabet looks really interesting too, especially when Koreans write in them. I have never seen more systematic handwriting.
Devanagari

But really, I don't know

All of them
Reply 16
I don't have a favourite alphabet, but I've always thought that Spanish looks really really pretty on paper (perhaps it's the accent marks and the ñ letter?)

Although ... I really like the cyrillic script because it looks so cryptic to those who can't read it, and I love love love love the look of the Javanese script. So floral and beautiful :love: I might try learning to write in it...
Reply 17
Original post by dnumberwang

All of them

Nice! Some of them look sooo hard to write though!
Reply 18
???? ??????! *mother russia!*
Cyrillic is lovely. Especially when you learn how to transliterate it into the Latin alphabet and suddenly you can see the English translation for the word. Only works in a few cases but I love it when it does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending