The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Good computer science information for those going in 2011

Harvard Lectures short course CS50.

http://cs50.tv/2009/fall/

This is CS50.

Computer Science 50 (otherwise known as CS50) is Harvard College's introductory course for majors and non-majors alike, a one-semester amalgam of courses generally known as CS1 and CS2 taught mostly in C.

Even if you are not a student at Harvard, you are welcome to "take" this course via cs50.tv by following along via the Internet. (The course's own website is at www.cs50.net.) Available at left are videos of lectures, sections (aka "recitations" or "precepts"), and seminars along with PDFs of all handouts. Also available at left are the course's problem sets and quizzes. If you have questions or would like to discuss the material with others, do join the course's Google Group. The problem sets do assume that you have access to nice.fas.harvard.edu and cloud.cs50.net (servers on which Harvard students have accounts). But not to worry! You can download the CS50 Appliance, a downloadable virtual machine (for Linux, Mac OS, and Windows), that you can use to complete all of the problem sets on your own computer.

If you're a teacher, you are welcome to adopt or adapt these materials for your own course, per the license.

If you'd like to take this course for real (on Harvard's campus or via the Internet) in order to receive feedback on work, grades, and a transcript, the course will next be offered through Harvard Extension School (as "Computer Science E-52") in Fall 2010. You can register online starting in August 2010.

Special thanks to Chris Thayer and Harvard Extension School for the course's videos and to Cansu Aydede '11 and Yuhki Yama****a '11, Fall 2009's heads.

djm

A lot of this may be useful to get your head around things before you do computer science at Aberystwyth :smile:

There are different lectures on different things. Plus you can get 2010's lectures at CS50.net

I think its worth taking the time if you are a bit sceptical about course content and not knowing things - this could give you a better understanding before you go :smile:
Good stuff! Thank you indeed! Have you gotten your offer yet mate? I'll be taking Business IT for 2011 and pretty sure this will be relevant.

Also, check out MIT introductory lectures on youtube. I find them to be quite interesting and easy to absorb!

Here
and Here
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by HayThereMardyBum
Good stuff! Thank you indeed! Have you gotten your offer yet mate? I'll be taking Business IT for 2011 and pretty sure this will be relevant.

Also, check out MIT introductory lectures on youtube. I find them to be quite interesting and easy to absorb!

Here
and Here

Cheers for the info. Yeah I'll check them out on YouTube soon as I finished my Harvard CS50 course online to give me a better understanding :cool:

I have 2 offers but I haven't got any from Aberystwyth yet. Will phone them on Friday if I still haven't heard back because that will be 6 weeks which they promise to try and respond in :smile:

I find this course on the CS50 site really good because it takes on board that some may not be as good as others so starts from the basic and they explain things well.

I know it takes 1-2 hours a night to watch the lectures but I think they'll be worthwhile. Find them quite interesting as well.
Reply 3
Yay for Business IT :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest