The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Worth paying £9000 a year to go to Sheffield Hallam?

Hey

I am considering going to SHU starting in 2012, to study film studies. However I am not sure whether to go because £9000 a year is a lot of money, and obviously its a pretty rubbish uni and I will probably end up in a minimum wage job at the end of it anyway (as the course is fairly poor). So not sure if its worth it as its such a bad course. Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
they might charge up to6000, i think it's9000 for top unis
but i wouldn't bother with that :smile:
try looking at a good uni for the subject you want to do in the league tables
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Reply 2
No. Especially for film studies.
It's more likely to be 6k at the most. But that said, it's a decision only you can make. You will of course need to consider employment prospects (unistats.com should help, you can enter the university and course) but you also need to consider your happiness for three years, and what else you could realistically do instead.
Well, if you're on minimum wage you won't have to pay it off anyway...
Reply 5
Oh god no.

The reason we're in this mess is because Labour thought it would be a good idea to send everyone to uni to Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent to do Sociology and Film Studies etc.

People can argue till they're blue in the face but Film Studies and the like simply aren't acedemic subjects. Hence they don't belong in a University. I'm not saying they aren't worthy pursuits, but surely they're more suited to a vocational route.

Also before someone flames me, Sociology can be acedemic, but I get the impression the majority of people I see taking it picked it as an easier version of Psychology. Party animals from Highschool picked it and I don't know how, they must of just went down the list and went "Yeah that looks easy I can do that", because the sixth forms and colleges convinced them that everyone has to go to university.

If you can get into one of the top Film Studies Universities and think its a surefire way into the career you want, go for it. But don't be fooled into thinking having a degree ANY degree is equally regarded as the next degree holder.
If you can only get a minimum wage job at the end of it you shouldn't be doing that degree. Whether it costs you £27,000 or nothing. The only good things about the fees increase is it might make people like you rethink whether a degree is essential, rather than wasting the taxpayers' money.
Reply 7
Original post by insoms
Oh god no.

The reason we're in this mess is because Labour thought it would be a good idea to send everyone to uni to Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent to do Sociology and Film Studies etc.

People can argue till they're blue in the face but Film Studies and the like simply aren't acedemic subjects. Hence they don't belong in a University. I'm not saying they aren't worthy pursuits, but surely they're more suited to a vocational route.

Also before someone flames me, Sociology can be acedemic, but I get the impression the majority of people I see taking it picked it as an easier version of Psychology. Party animals from Highschool picked it and I don't know how, they must of just went down the list and went "Yeah that looks easy I can do that", because the sixth forms and colleges convinced them that everyone has to go to university.

If you can get into one of the top Film Studies Universities and think its a surefire way into the career you want, go for it. But don't be fooled into thinking having a degree ANY degree is equally regarded as the next degree holder.

Ha, come on - you can't throw around statements like that that have no substance to them. I know Labour's Uni policies weren't great but that certainly wasn't their policy and that certainly isn't the reason we're in the mess we are.

On the rest of your post, I do kind of agree with you. To be honest, I know nothing of film studies - I know nothing of what it can lead to and nothing of the content, so I'll reserve judgement on it.

Sociology however, my brother did at Uni of Manchester, not because he thought it would be easy but because he loves the subject. However, he basically had a freeride for 3 years, there was no point in him turning up to lectures because it was so easy, he completely acknowledges that he should pay more for his degree than other people do for maybe more 'essential degrees'. I don't really agree with his view on this, but that's a different matter.

I agree with your last paragraph as well, that sums it up nicely.

So, in response to the OP - if you're sure you either like the subject enough, or know what job you want to go into then it might be worth it, but you're probably better off seeking advice from your teachers etc and people who know you.
Reply 8
As much as im against the tuition fee rises, I dont think you should let it change your decision, at the end of the day if you want to go to university its something your gonna have to look past and see as an investment into your future. Plus Sheffield Hallam probably wont charge the full £9000 per year.
Reply 9
Original post by insoms
Oh god no.

My boyfriends sister is at Sheffield Hallam doing a Maths degree and is probably on her way to getting a first and then becoming a maths teacher... and my boyfriends brother has just finished a maths degree at Sheffield uni and is at Hallam doing his teaching degree....

sort your facts out before you judge what you think a specific uni is about...
Reply 10
No mate, you will have a minimum wage job because you are going to do film studies.
Film studies?

NOPE.

Get a training contract with a production company. You'll learn more, possibly actually get paid, save on the fees... And did i mention getting the experience you'll have to get after uni anyway?
My mate is thinking of going there for architecture. Would that be worth the money?
Reply 13
I wouldn't.
Reply 14
Original post by drpetergriffin
My mate is thinking of going there for architecture. Would that be worth the money?

Architecture isn't a bad degree, I think it would be worth it.
Reply 15
if you want to critique fils your safer doing a wider oppertunity degree like eng lit n then trying to get experience but to be honest a degree in studying films is as useful as a degree in studying cheyrl cole.
Go voulenteer for production companies, tv stations and radio stations doing anything at all for three years but for no pay youll have experience and no student loan and if you see a job that actually needs film studies (not sure if there are any) then you can go back and do it.
Reply 16
Original post by insoms
Oh god no.

Hahaha.
Original post by joeyg
Hey

I am considering going to SHU starting in 2012, to study film studies. However I am not sure whether to go because £9000 a year is a lot of money, and obviously its a pretty rubbish uni and I will probably end up in a minimum wage job at the end of it anyway (as the course is fairly poor). So not sure if its worth it as its such a bad course. Help?

if the course is poor why would you study it (DUH) choose a better course
Reply 18
Why are you even considering going to a uni you think it's pretty rubbish?

You wouldn't be paying it off anyway, under minimum wage earnings. However, as you would get full loans (£9k being for top unis such as Oxbridge, Imperial and the like), try to 'invest' in what you think it's best.
Even if it were free, you shouldn't be going to Sheffield Hallam if you think it's a pretty rubbish university.
Reply 19
This is why conservatives are evil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending