The Student Room Group

Referencing an Artist in your Personal Statement?

I'm being told by my tutors that this is something that I need to add into my personal statement before sending it off.
Which i'm fine with, but I just don't know who to reference :s-smilie:

I wouldn't say that there's one artist alone that has influenced the direction I have gone in or that I constantly refer back to for inspiration. I tend to look at single pieces of work from different artists or reference pieces I like that relate to the work I am doing at that time.
I'd say that my main source of inspiration, the places I get most new ideas and the reason I chose to do what I am doing is from going to things like degree shows and shows such as New Designers, but I don't think that'd be good enough to include as my Artist reference.

Any ideas? Should I just find some artist that i've seen work from that i've liked in the past?
Reply 1
You could just work in some names of artists that created specific pieces of art that you like, or who typefy certain styles.
Saying that, if you're likely to be called for an interview, I wouldn't say something like "I really admire Van Gogh" if you only liked one of his pieces, because they might ask you questions on it and you will look like you just put the name out there to say something they will like.
Make sense?
Reply 2
Original post by Captain92
You could just work in some names of artists that created specific pieces of art that you like, or who typefy certain styles.
Saying that, if you're likely to be called for an interview, I wouldn't say something like "I really admire Van Gogh" if you only liked one of his pieces, because they might ask you questions on it and you will look like you just put the name out there to say something they will like.
Make sense?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I didn't want to say somebody that I could potentially have to talk a whole load about.
I mean there are artists that I could talk about why I like them, its just when it comes to saying how they've influenced my work :eek:
Reply 3
Maybe you could ask your art teacher what sort of artist any of your work or style reminds them of?
When I applied for BM I included some influential people in the business world and included the books I've read on them, research on them, seminars/lectures I've attended. So maybe you could include some out-of class work you've done on the artists. So say you've traveled to workshops to examine painting/art and also say how passionate you are for art, books you've read and painting and how a specific piece of art has inspired you to further persue it.
Reply 5
Original post by Casshern1456
When I applied for BM I included some influential people in the business world and included the books I've read on them, research on them, seminars/lectures I've attended. So maybe you could include some out-of class work you've done on the artists. So say you've traveled to workshops to examine painting/art and also say how passionate you are for art, books you've read and painting and how a specific piece of art has inspired you to further persue it.

Yeah that seems a good option.
Do you think it'd be alright if I commented on how going to Design shows and degree shows inspired me to pursue the route I have (Graphic Design)
And then later on when I have a paragraph on how Photography is something I also pursue to reference artists there, well photographers.
As even though i'm doing Graphic Design over Photography as a degree, photography is a large part of my work.
Maybe that's the way around it? If that's acceptable, depends what my tutor thinks I guess.
But I can't see Uni's looking upon it badly, considering how broad Graphic Design is and the fact Photography is a big part of it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Maybe you could ask your art teacher what sort of artist any of your work or style reminds them of?

Yeah I could do that, i'll see tomorrow when i'm in college.
Also, what do you think to what I just said above? that could be an option
Reply 7
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah I could do that, i'll see tomorrow when i'm in college.
Also, what do you think to what I just said above? that could be an option

Definitely, stuff like that shows drive and determination/ interest which is always a plus.
Original post by Cll_ws
Yeah that seems a good option.
Do you think it'd be alright if I commented on how going to Design shows and degree shows inspired me to pursue the route I have (Graphic Design)
And then later on when I have a paragraph on how Photography is something I also pursue to reference artists there, well photographers.
As even though i'm doing Graphic Design over Photography as a degree, photography is a large part of work.
Maybe that's the way around it? If that's acceptable, depends what my tutor thinks I guess.
But I can't see Uni's looking upon it badly, considering how broad Graphic Design is and the fact Photography is a big part of it.

There was something else I should've mentioned, admissions tutors wants to see your ambitions for the subject and that applies to all fields of study. I would write a few sentences how gaining this arts degree would help you do what you want in the future, it's very important they don't read your PS and think "great he wants to study arts" and not know what you want to apply it to later on in life. Since I don't know that much about arts I'll leave it at that.:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Casshern1456
There was something else I should've mentioned, admissions tutors wants to see your ambitions for the subject and that applies to all fields of study. I would write a few sentences how gaining this arts degree would help you do what you want in the future, it's very important they don't read your PS and think "great he wants to study arts" and not know what you want to apply it to later on in life. Since I don't know that much about arts I'll leave it at that.:smile:

Yeah, that is something i've tried to do. I've mentioned how I want to hopefully make a career out of it.
And in the same paragraph i've written about things i've done in the past and things i'm going to do such as doing t-shirt design for a friends clothing line and voluteering to curate an art exhibition for my college, sort of saying these are the kinds of things I would like to do after my degree.
Thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 10
Definitely, stuff like that shows drive and determination/ interest which is always a plus.

Nice one :smile: i'll have one final check with my tutor whether just referencing artists in that section is alright. Then I can send my application :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending