The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ZuzaMagda
I didn't put my achieved grades on the SAQ because, being a Polish student, I didn't sit the same tests as you did (GCSE, etc.). Instead, I was requested to submit a list of my final grades from previous years (a "high school transcript") that all non-UK EU applicants are required to send in.

So, let me ask you one question: is the distinction you are making specifically one between predicted final exam results and actual final exam results rather than predicted final exam results and the grades that I - being a non-UK applicant - received at the end of last academic year?

I am asking because something I do find paradoxical is that my grades from the previous years were awarded by exactly the same teachers who made decisions on our predicted grades! Both of those were, of course, a matter of the teachers' subjective decision. For those reasons I cannot imagine how a university could possibly favour one over the other.

Additionally, the predicted grades are a more recent record of my abilities, so, in one sense, they might be regarded as more representative of my present achievements. And it they are looking for a more general picture, they might actually look at any differences between my past academic record and predicted exam results as a way of measuring progress or lack thereof, which I think is also important!

Sorry - cultural difference. On a Polish general student forum most people would probably need a word of explanation :wink:

It was between predicted final grades and actual final grades. That was because for us, our exams are marked independently by the boards, and not by our teachers. As such they are seen as a more reliable assessment. Also to that end, I think to some extent there has been a lot of predicted grade inflation (especially with the A*) so universities will disregard them even more.

Original post by kashiya
Yeah, well, Polish folks are more passionate and less polite than the British.
This is a piece of advice one of my lecturers gave me for the interview: "The British will smile and try to make you feel comfy, coz that's how they are - too polite to tell you that you are talking rubbish. So be careful..."

you do the math.

This, there is also an element of politeness.

(Also maths :rant: (sorry :tongue:))
Reply 141
I have looked in my 2400 A4 page OED (an excellent gift) and only found its theological definition. It does state that it is the 'science of the four last things: death, judgement, heaven and hell.' It also, rather amusingly I might add, states that as a science it is 'one of the most baseless.'

I know this won't clear anything up because people will persist in a futile argument, however, it ought to be observed that by 'last things' it is referring exclusively to those aforementioned and, perhaps more importantly, that other uses of the term deny it its proper meaning. Etymologically it does refer to the science of last things but I don't see how one can really argue that receiving this letter, be it an acceptance or a rejection, is really the last of all things (unless you take the news a little too badly, and then perhaps it is!)

Also, if it helps I was unsatisfied with this since my dictionary is nineteen years old and decided to search this for you...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&q=define:+eschatology&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1

Hopefully this will display yet further that it's only correct when used in its theological sense and that you might as well create a neologism out of it by applying it here. Also, whether you're a first year at Trinity or your father is well read, it does not make you (or him) infallible and frankly I think the OED has a great deal more weighting than you.

Thanks for reading.
Reply 142
Original post by Felix101

(Also maths :rant: (sorry :tongue:))

thanks for the correction! :smile: people usually don't bother to correct, so I make the same mistakes all the time...
Reply 143
Just came back from my trip to London and Cambridge. I'm an international applicant who chose to fly over for the interview - and it was quite the experience. Wolfson's an awesome, awesome place and I got to live in College. Very nice people there, very cosmopolitan, very cosy - Nothing about it I don't love.

I'm a law applicant, and I had a subject test in the morning, followed by a subject then college interview. The subject test went pretty okay, the subject interview was intimidating because I felt pretty cornered. Not too optimistic about that. The college interview, though, went surprisingly smooth. I felt really comfortable, and I felt that the college interviewers were really more interested in knowing about me, my academic interests, etc. The subject interview, however, was filled with hypoethical questions. Everytime they got an answer, the interviewers would bring in a different situation or consideration to try to waver your decision/previous answers. I remember moments when I actually stopped, and think before giving an answer - I don't know if that's a good thing, but that's what I did - I stopped, thought through the situation and then vocalised my thinking process.

You know how people say you should not waver too much, while others say you should not be too hard headed if they're obviously trying to get you to really take in what they're telling you? You've got to find a balance - and the truth is, finding that balance is pretty difficult.

I have no idea how I did, and am extremely anxious. Because I am the first person they're interviewing with the qualifications I possess (they told me this), I really don't know what my chances are. To top everything off, I met a whole group of really nice people at Wolfson who came for the law interviews - and they all have either first degrees or masters. So essentially, I am really, really scared.

Bahhhh - I shall rest in the fact that God will set things according to what best fits. I hope my little sharing helped in some way or another. Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 144
Original post by adamlaw
To top everything off, I met a whole group of really nice people at Wolfson who came for the law interviews - and they all have either first degrees or masters. So essentially, I am really, really scared.

What? Such an awful lot of people applying for a second undergrad degree? Very strange :biggrin: Weren't some of them applying for postgrad?
Reply 145
had geography interview today
i felt it went well when i came out but now i keep picking at my answers and all the times i went wrong or could have said something better :frown:
Reply 146
Original post by adamlaw
Just came back from my trip to London and Cambridge. I'm an international applicant who chose to fly over for the interview - and it was quite the experience. Wolfson's an awesome, awesome place and I got to live in College. Very nice people there, very cosmopolitan, very cosy - Nothing about it I don't love.

Hey Adam :smile:
I am also a Wolfson applicant (economics). Any good advice? Is there a common room where we can go to? I will stay there for a whole day before my interview and I think I will be too nervous to be all on my own :s-smilie:
Who was your college interviewer?
Reply 147
Original post by kashiya
Hey Adam :smile:
I am also a Wolfson applicant (economics). Any good advice? Is there a common room where we can go to? I will stay there for a whole day before my interview and I think I will be too nervous to be all on my own :s-smilie:
Who was your college interviewer?

Haha, just be calm and collected. There's a reading room behind the Porter's Lodge where they'll sit you with the other interview candidates.

Mine was Dr. Hrebeniak. Very nice guy.
Reply 148
Original post by adamlaw
Haha, just be calm and collected. There's a reading room behind the Porter's Lodge where they'll sit you with the other interview candidates.

Mine was Dr. Hrebeniak. Very nice guy.

Hmm I think I might have him too... he was the one who signed my letter...
Did you walk from the station or did you take a cab? I will arrive around 11pm - is it too far to walk?
Reply 149
Original post by kashiya
Hmm I think I might have him too... he was the one who signed my letter...
Did you walk from the station or did you take a cab? I will arrive around 11pm - is it too far to walk?

I took the National Express Coach from Heathrow. So I was dropped somewhere in the centre of Cambridge. However, I would still reccomend u take a cab. Wolfson's not at the suburbs or anything, but there is quite a reasonable distance to cover if you intend to walk. Considering how cold it is (well, at least to me as an international) - I don't think walking is the best way to get to college.
Reply 150
Original post by qua
Official date is January 5. Some colleges might send them a bit later, but usually you should know by January 7 or something (given that you are from the UK).

Do you know if they send this reply only through the post or if there is an e-mail response sent out at the same time too? I live outside the UK so I'm guessing it'd take much longer for me if it's just sent out by post!
Reply 151
Original post by maka9
Do you know if they send this reply only through the post or if there is an e-mail response sent out at the same time too? I live outside the UK so I'm guessing it'd take much longer for me if it's just sent out by post!

Via post. You can email your admission's office after Jan 5 and ask whether your application has been successful or not, though. Plus, if UCAS hurries up, you might see it on UCAS track. I'm not from the Uk either and it's a bit annoying as the letter will probably reach me 1-2 days later :/

ZuzuMagda
I didn't put my achieved grades on the SAQ because, being a Polish student, I didn't sit the same tests as you did (GCSE, etc.). Instead, I was requested to submit a list of my final grades from previous years (a "high school transcript") that all non-UK EU applicants are required to send in.

Did you put them on UCAS, though? I already graduated so the high school transcript I sent was my graduation diploma, but I also had to fill out the UCAS section. I did that because the grades I got in school were given by teachers, whereas the grades of my final exams were given by the boards.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by qua
Via post. You can email your admission's office after Jan 5 and ask whether your application has been successful or not, though. Plus, if UCAS hurries up, you might see it on UCAS track. I'm not from the Uk either and it's a bit annoying as the letter will probably reach me 1-2 days later :/

Did you put them on UCAS, though? I already graduated so the high school transcript I sent was my graduation diploma, but I also had to fill out the UCAS section. I did that because the grades I got in school were given by teachers, whereas the grades of my final exams were given by the boards.

Thanks :smile: It actually usually takes at least a week to reach me! Sigh.
Reply 153
Does anyone know when the earliest we could possibly find out, rejected or accepted, about how we've done?

This wait is torture! :colondollar:
Reply 154
Original post by A2V712
Does anyone know when the earliest we could possibly find out, rejected or accepted, about how we've done?

This wait is torture! :colondollar:

Cam sends out decision letters on Jan 5 :smile:
Original post by metjush
Cam sends out decision letters on Jan 5 :smile:

is that the actual date we get the decisions or is it when they send the letters so we'll get them on the 6th?
Reply 156
Original post by safwaansh
is that the actual date we get the decisions or is it when they send the letters so we'll get them on the 6th?

that is the date when they send out the letters, so expect the decision to arrive on 6th, 7th or 8th...
Reply 157
Just to clarify some misinformation, colleges send out decision letters independently in early January and so there is no university-wide date when all the letters are sent; the date colleges choose to send their letters may well vary by a day or two.
do any of the colleges email you as well?
I know they are sent out in early January but does anyone know the specific date when post interview acceptance/rejection letters will be send out?

Just being inpatient :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending