The Student Room Group

More female medics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by infernalcradle
seriously though....perhaps its because medicine is a very altruistic profession, and women tend to be more altruistic than men....due to the whole maternal thing??? :s-smilie:

I was thinking this too.
Original post by colabottles
It just takes a special kind of guy I reckon :tongue:

Gay? :colondollar:
I always thought it was because they had heard that I was going to be at med school. :awesome:
Reply 23
They blow the interviewers
Reply 24
Maybe just because for whatever reasons they currently perform better in exams? I don't think there's any obvious reason like there is for the lack of men in nursing being down to stigma.
Original post by Sarky

2. Medicine is not considered to be a rigourous science degree in the way that it used to be

(I didn't neg you btw).
But do you really think so?!
The 3 hour essay exam I did on transplantation and CD4+CD25+Foxp3 (i.e. Treg cells :p: ) says otherwise. :O

I think I do quite a rigorous course tbh!
Reply 26
Original post by Fission_Mailed
I always thought it was because they had heard that I was going to be at med school. :awesome:

haha :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by Philosoraptor
(I didn't neg you btw).
But do you really think so?!
The 3 hour essay exam I did on transplantation and CD4+CD25+Foxp3 (i.e. Treg cells :p: ) says otherwise. :O

I think I do quite a rigorous course tbh!

Would probably help if I clarify that I mean scientifically rigourous.:smile:

Compared to what? I said not considered as rigourous not that it wasn't rigourous at all :smile:? And that is true. And i'm kinda presuming you just did an essay as part of your intercalated degree in a niche aspect of medicine rather than that being typical for your course. Even if that is typical for your course, it definitely isn't typical for mine.

The fact that medicine has moved away from expecting its candidates to have all sciences and some (especially the one you attend) actively encourage pupils to study non-science A levels reinforces that point. This is further strengthened by the introduction of aspects like communication skills which focus on softer areas rather than hardcore science.

There is no way medicine is as scientifically indepth as a pure science degree. All of those factors together make medicine more attractive to women.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sarky

Actually I sort of agree with you now - but think you have it backwards!

I still think it's seen as scientifically difficult (you still get the oooh medicine!)
But in reality is probably easier than it was before, especially at certain courses.
By easier maybe less rote learning of anatomy and so on , which probably is technically difficult, but doesn't make one any more intelligent...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending