The Student Room Group

Jump between GCSE and A-level?

Frankly, i do not see it, all of the teachers in my school said their is a huge jump between gcse and alevel but i disagree. It may be that im in AS and A2 gets alot harder but we will see.

P.S alot of people in my school are getting U's.... How?

Scroll to see replies

Not everyone is as smart as you.
Reply 2
let me put it this way.

GCSE is a few joints down the park. Cool.

A level is snorting a kilo of cocaine, followed by a few litres of vodka.

That is the jump up. Get a fifty poubnd note ready son :smile:
Reply 3
4A* and 7A is not smart.
Reply 4
Yea, it was nothin. I was disappointed.
Reply 5
I didn't feel a jump at all to be honest.
But all my teachers were stretching my classes from year 10 onwards and teaching beyond the syllabus, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Reply 6
Well, it helps if you know what you like and choose to do subjects you're interested in. If you're a scientist and then choose four essay-based subjects then it's going to be a lot harder.
Original post by stjohnpeters
4A* and 7A is not smart.

Yeah, it is.
Reply 8
That's what I thought when I was in year 12.. But trust me.. It's a BIG jump, AND it is your MOST IMPORTANT YEAR! Fail your AS levels, you're pretty much f-ed..
Reply 9
Original post by WhatamIdoing
Yeah, it is.

Not compared to the rest of TSR, why so bitter?
I personally found the jump between AS and A2 harder because although the content wasn't much harder, there was just a lot more work involved and I was set much more homework.

AS is harder than GCSE for sure, but I didn't find the jump particularly big. It's just a lot more important.

Hahaha, I hate to break it to you, but TSR is hardly representative of the general population. 4 A*s and 7 As may be average here, but it is very smart!

In what way do I seem bitter?
I'm complimenting you. Would you rather me say 'Haha 4A*s lol my GCSEs **** all over yours'.

I just said, generally, not everyone is as smart as you and therefore, generally, people find there is a gap between GCSE's and A levels.
Reply 13
i didn't notice any jump from gcse and alevel actually.
i liked a-level more to be honest 'cause the subjects you do are what you really wanted, so naturally you enjoy them more and you're more willing to do the work.

as for the amount of workload, pretty much the same i find?
support from teachers are about the same for me too.

i think it's only because in a-level, you're expected to do other things apart from the academics, such as join clubs, do volunteering works etc, which could make it seem like you never enough time... ? maybe?
I think the jump is mainly because of the workload (By the second week I had 3 1000+ word essays to hand in). Or maybe because our teachers started out with the hardest stuff first. The content itself is not that difficult at all, as it builds on GCSE knowledge, but people are getting Us because of poor exam techniques. A level exams are so, so, so much pickier than GCSE exams.
To be honest, I found AS easier than GCSE. Probably because when you're doing A-levels you're only doing the subjects that you like.

I took English language, English literature and Law, and am doing another in History this year.

I got A B(three UMS off :frown: retaking) A, respectively.
I think the jump is the workload. The content is harder but for A Level, I actually have to do a few hours of work after school and the learning pace is a lot harder. But if depends on the person. For example, Further maths is killing me.
Original post by ella37

i think it's only because in a-level, you're expected to do other things apart from the academics, such as join clubs, do volunteering works etc, which could make it seem like you never enough time... ? maybe?

Oh! And this for sure. Volunteering 3x a week and then additional clubs with mentoring basically takes up hours of my non existent free time ><
Reply 18
Frankly, i do not see it, all of the teachers in my school said their is a huge jump between gcse and alevel but i disagree. It may be that im in AS and A2 gets alot harder but we will see.

P.S alot of people in my school are getting U's.... How?

What subjects are you doing?
Reply 19
I found GCSE to AS level higher than AS to A2.

Overall, i jump there was a jump from GCSE to AS level is chemistry and physics, but biology remained the same and Maths was easier at AS level.

Quick Reply

Latest