The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs Cullen
I don't want to bring the argument back up; everyone is entitled to their own opinion about the colleges and I fully respect that, I just want to offer mine.

Girton is an amazing college. Yes it's far out, and pretty much everyone complains about the cycle ride from time to time. But it only takes me 10 minutes to get into town, and I'm just an averagely fit, puny little girl. The cycle is quite nice actually, as long as it isn't raining.

Yes, some people do tend to stay at the faculty during the day instead of cycling back to college, but I actually find that I am much more productive working in the faculty library than I am back at college, where I'm likely to get distracted talking to people. However, I also know people who go back to college, and as it only take 10-15 minutes, it can take just as long for some people to get back from Sidgwick to their college in town, for example, if it's one of the slightly further out ones and they walk (which quite a few people prefer to do.)

The best thing about Girton, in my opinion, is the fact that it's far out. Besides not having any pesky tourists (well, not many) it means that everyone spends loads of time together, and as a result, the whole college is very, very close. There is always someone around to chat to, and I've met some amazing friends there. The atmosphere is really great. And although I can't directly compare this to any other college, as I haven't experienced it myself , I know that for me, Girton is perfect and I love it.

Yes, the distance is sometimes a pain. But there are positives too, so don't immediately dismiss Girton on that basis. Visit all the colleges you're interested in and find out for yourself which one is best suited to you.

A sensible, clear-headed response. Brava. :smile:

College is irrelevant. For those of us who've been rejected and for whom Cambridge was the air we breathed, I am fairly sure it's safe to say that we'd rather be stuck at our last Cambridge college choices than our second, third, fourteenth choices. Can we at least move past petty differences and realize to the outside world, Cambridge is tops whether or not you're at Newnham or Trinity, Girton or St. John's?
Reply 81
Original post by Athena Gray
A sensible, clear-headed response. Brava. :smile:

College is irrelevant. For those of us who've been rejected and for whom Cambridge was the air we breathed, I am fairly sure it's safe to say that we'd rather be stuck at our last Cambridge college choices than our second, third, fourteenth choices. Can we at least move past petty differences and realize to the outside world, Cambridge is tops whether or not you're at Newnham or Trinity, Girton or St. John's?

the only thing that's irrelevant is your opinion.
Original post by Athena Gray
Ugh, the dreaded thin letter. It especially sucked because it was my first uni decision ever, so it was a confidence killer on top of everything else. Now every time uni mail arrives in the mailbox my mother asks me if it's a rejection. :closedeyes:

I'm sorry, but I openly laughed at this. The dreaded thin letter!!!

Btw, I'm not being heartless. I was rejected 3 years ago by Cambridge for medicine (Corpus Christi with interview). Tbh, it didn't hit me too bad, but I was looking forward to going there, so knocked me back a bit
Original post by yahyahyah
the only thing that's irrelevant is your opinion.

Why is their opinion irrelevant?
Reply 84
Original post by gethsemane342
Why is their opinion irrelevant?

obviously anyone who's unhealthily obsessed over camb and hasn't gotten in is going to be desperate and spout out ****e like 'YEAHH EVERYWHERE IS THE SAME I'D BE GLAD TO GO TO ANYWHERE AS LONG AS IT'S CAMBRIDGE'. college is relevant, some can be incredibly poor choices for people.
Reply 85
college is relevant, some can be incredibly poor choices for people.

Based on what, exactly?
Reply 86
What is the freaking point in this fight.
obviously anyone who's unhealthily obsessed over camb and hasn't gotten in is going to be desperate and spout out ****e like 'YEAHH EVERYWHERE IS THE SAME I'D BE GLAD TO GO TO ANYWHERE AS LONG AS IT'S CAMBRIDGE'. college is relevant, some can be incredibly poor choices for people.

Some people will be unhappy in certain atmospheres. Equally, some people will adapt to any type of atmosphere - for example, i'm the sort of person who doesn't care where she is, as long as her bed is in that general area. For people like me, choice of college is irrelevant. Therefore, her opinion that college is irrelevant is valid because it applies to some people. Just as the opinion that you should carefully consider where you want to live for three years applies to some people.

Also, her opinion was about people who had been rejected in that they generally believe they would have been happy at any college, especially now that they have lost the chance to be at one. Whether they would have been is another matter, but the opinion was that people who have been rejected think they would have been. Don't see anything wrong with that myself.
Reply 88
Some people will be unhappy in certain atmospheres. Equally, some people will adapt to any type of atmosphere - for example, i'm the sort of person who doesn't care where she is, as long as her bed is in that general area. For people like me, choice of college is irrelevant. Therefore, her opinion that college is irrelevant is valid because it applies to some people. Just as the opinion that you should carefully consider where you want to live for three years applies to some people.

Also, her opinion was about people who had been rejected in that they generally believe they would have been happy at any college, especially now that they have lost the chance to be at one. Whether they would have been is another matter, but the opinion was that people who have been rejected think they would have been. Don't see anything wrong with that myself.

its just utterly pointless. i wish rejectees would shut up sometimes.

Considering this thread is about rejection from Cambridge, seems like a fairly good place to put that opinion. If this were the "Which college" thread or one along those lines, the opinion might be less valid as she doesn't study at Cambridge, though she can still state how she feels about picking colleges.

If you don't like listening to rejectees, perhaps you shouldn't look at the rejection thread? (I don't mean this sarcastically ... it's a genuine suggestion :smile:)
Reply 90
Considering this thread is about rejection from Cambridge, seems like a fairly good place to put that opinion. If this were the "Which college" thread or one along those lines, the opinion might be less valid as she doesn't study at Cambridge, though she can still state how she feels about picking colleges.

If you don't like listening to rejectees, perhaps you shouldn't look at the rejection thread? (I don't mean this sarcastically ... it's a genuine suggestion :smile:)

i don't excuse them for writing crap
Reply 91

every time i see one of your posts, it's you getting antsy about people having an opinion on cambridge?
seriously, get a grip

i can see where that guy was coming from when he said college was irrelevant - most people are happy wherever they go, because most colleges have a big mix of people
and i know a lot of people who would rather be pooled than rejected. sure, i'd be gutted if i was pooled to a girl's college, but more than likely i'd accept anyway and make an extra effort to join societies/make friends on my course

fingers crossed that won't happen, anyway
i don't excuse them for writing crap

But if their opinion is about people who have been rejected and their opinions on colleges and it's on the rejection thread, and their opinion can apply to some people regardless, how have they written crap?
Reply 93
Original post by theths
every time i see one of your posts, it's you getting antsy about people having an opinion on cambridge?
seriously, get a grip

i can see where that guy was coming from when he said college was irrelevant - most people are happy wherever they go, because most colleges have a big mix of people
and i know a lot of people who would rather be pooled than rejected. sure, i'd be gutted if i was pooled to a girl's college, but more than likely i'd accept anyway and make an extra effort to join societies/make friends on my course

fingers crossed that won't happen, anyway

i love winding people up on here, it's incredibly amusing.
Original post by neesh123
Was that this year? The college I applied to said we won't hear back till January.

Read the second line of the post you quoted.

I was sure that to get into Cambridge you had to at least be able to read. Have fun with your impending rejection.
Reply 95
Don't you have a pet you could be torturing or something?
Reply 96
i love winding people up on here, it's incredibly amusing.

because you clearly have a cool head :rolleyes:
Reply 97
Original post by mackemforever
Read the second line of the post you quoted.

I was sure that to get into Cambridge you had to at least be able to read. Have fun with your impending rejection.

ahh, well sucks to be you, because that post read 07/12, not december 2007, mate

that person was posting pre-emptively, it most certainly was this year :smile:
Reply 98
I know these aren't absolute indicators of intelligence, but given your awful understanding of the English language I get the feeling you aren't at Cambridge yourself. This is compounded by the fact that you're rather irritating and I hope they wouldn't let someone like you in. This is further compounded because if you were at Cambridge (I'm aware term is over) you should have better things to be doing.

If you are at Cambridge, well done, no need to make others feel inferior, after all, admissions do make mistakes sometimes and I think you're a testament to that. I do, however, agree that the unhealthy obsession with the university is something which is rife on here, and ought to be quelled a little. It is an amazing institution, but there are other universities, for example, UCL/Durham/Annies/Edinburgh/Imperial/LSE and so on.
Original post by Gulce
ARE YOU INSANE? You are bound to take 3 A-Levels, for IB you take 6 classes + TOK, CAS AND EE. Do you realize how the conversion actually plays AGAINST IB. I sat down and took the A level physics exam got A*, took the history exam got A and math A.............. for IB for physics I barely pull 5-6/ 7 .............. 40 points is not low... i think its just fine, or some circumstances a bit too high actually.

You're right...40 seems like a really high amount, don't do IB myself but am aware of the number of subjects you have to do, and...
Oxford asks for 38-40 points in most of its courses--
Cambridge Prospectus states that 'most offers made between the range of 39 - 42 IB points
Glancing through the durham prospectus I have to hand it equates an AAA offer with 37points.

So obviously there is some discrepancy, though if anything against you Ania_aa since 40 seems a very high score in light of all of these.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending