The Student Room Group

Country or Town?

Poll

Would you rather live in the city or the country?

Would you rather live in a large town/city or the rural countryside? Debate. :smile:

For me, it's the countryside, since I was born here and spent my whole life here. I don't think I could leave it.

Scroll to see replies

Town. I like the hussle and bussle, and you're closer to amentites.
Reply 2
City but preferably in the coast . I have never liked towns, i like having it all nearby !! :biggrin:
Live out in the country, and commute every day to work. It doesn't have to be far in the country, perhaps five or ten miles out from a city. That way, you're close to amenities but can live a rather nice life out in the country.
I've always lived by a city and love having everything I need on my doorstep! However, I love visiting the country, it's so pretty and peaceful <3 But I don't think I could live there =p
Reply 5
I lived in the country- the nearest city being 2 and a half hours away- for 18 years. And hated it. It's nice going home for Christmas or whatever.... but after a week or so there is literally nothing left to do but watch TV and lurk tsr. Even living just outside a city would annoy me I think, cause I couldn't be bothered with having to travel in every day, whether it be relying on public transport or driving in and faffing around trying to get parked and avoid rush hours and the like :o:
I live in the country at home, city for uni, and I definitely prefer the city, but really I just want to leave right next to the sea.
Reply 7
Original post by Jelephant
I lived in the country- the nearest city being 2 and a half hours away- for 18 years. And hated it. It's nice going home for Christmas or whatever.... but after a week or so there is literally nothing left to do but watch TV and lurk tsr. Even living just outside a city would annoy me I think, cause I couldn't be bothered with having to travel in every day, whether it be relying on public transport or driving in and faffing around trying to get parked and avoid rush hours and the like :o:

I agree that's the downside. But did you not notice any difference when moving to a city?
I stayed in Paris for one night and the sky was orange and I heard sirens every so ofter - I wouldn't be able to stand that!! I've chosen uni's that are small town/cities uni's just because I don't think I could cope going from rural to city somewhere like Leeds or Manchester would just frighten me I bet :L
Reply 8
Original post by Summergirl.x
I agree that's the downside. But did you not notice any difference when moving to a city?
I stayed in Paris for one night and the sky was orange and I heard sirens every so ofter - I wouldn't be able to stand that!! I've chosen uni's that are small town/cities uni's just because I don't think I could cope going from rural to city somewhere like Leeds or Manchester would just frighten me I bet :L

:dontknow: Obviously there's a difference but it never bothered me enough to notice really. I can't particularly remember noticing the sky being "orange". The sirens are more common (and are definately louder than the ones we have out in the middle nowhere where there's not much noise to compete against =P ), but it didn't take long for me to not really notice them either. Then again, I'm fairly nocturnal and can't stand silence so living in a city definately suits me better =P
Reply 9
A town (not city) preferably by the sea.
You have stuff available to do but you don't have to deal with hustle and bustle.
Def needs to be a big town/city. And a proper big town/city at that. Oxford is a joke of a city. It was way too small for me :yes:
Reply 11
Nothing like living in a village.
Reply 12
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Def needs to be a big town/city. And a proper big town/city at that. Oxford is a joke of a city. It was way too small for me :yes:

Oxford. Too small? :O I would say too big. :L
I like cities when they are Cambridge size. :L
Original post by Summergirl.x
Oxford. Too small? :O I would say too big. :L
I like cities when they are Cambridge size. :L

You have to remember that I'm a Londoner :p: Def much happier being back here :yes:
Yorkshire...the best of both worlds
Reply 15
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You have to remember that I'm a Londoner :p: Def much happier being back here :yes:

Aha but surely London is just too big? Surely you don't use it all up? I find Cambridge is quite enough for my needs, apart from lacking an Abercrombie and a Ralph Lauren for women I couldn't find a reason to leave living in the place or just outside it. :L
It would be impossible to use all of London up but I suspect many Londoners (myself included) don't have a particular desire to explore the whole thing, so that's fine.

I haven't been to Cambridge in years but Oxford was certainly too small for me. It was pretty horrendous at times in that respect. Also being away from all the concert venues sucked :p:
Reply 17
Country, my home is in a small village... very nice and quiet.
Country by a country mile! I couldn't live in a city or town. I need fields, nature and wildlife to thrive.
Reply 19
Original post by MagnificentFuhrer
Country by a country mile! I couldn't live in a city or town. I need fields, nature and wildlife to thrive.

This, I would love to work in the city but I don't think I could live there for long.

The country seems a bit more laid back and relaxed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending