The Student Room Group

What is most reactive propanol, propanal, propanoic acid?

Can someone help me with this chemistry question, with an explanation

With an explanation What is most reactive propanol, propanal, propanoic acid?

any help is appreciated :biggrin:
To what?

Think about the polarity of the bonds..... also, what is more reactive, a double or a single bond? What about the relative steric effects of an OH group vs a H group? Or the dislocation of the electrons across the COOH group when in solution?
Original post by gingerbreadman85
To what?

Think about the polarity of the bonds..... also, what is more reactive, a double or a single bond? What about the relative steric effects of an OH group vs a H group? Or the dislocation of the electrons across the COOH group when in solution?

Well i know that if a carboxylic acid is in solution it exists in the deprotonated form and forms a stable coo- ion, does that mean that propanoic acid is least reactive?

Could u please clarify what u mean by steric effect? I dont think we have covered that at A2.
hi all sorry to drop in on your page. i am also trying to find some help with chem. can any1 help me with this Q

Calcium carbonate decomposes when heated:

CaCO3 (s) > CaO (s) + CO2 (g)

a) What mass of cacium oxide is produced from 150g of CaCO3
b) What volume of carbon dioxide is produced from 150g of CaCO3

IF I NOT WELCOME THANKS ANYWAY
sarah
If a reactive part of a molecule has big bulky bits hanging off it, it makes it less able to react. Think of it like trying to get to the bar when there are a team of rugby players in the way.

The carbanion is quite stable, so it means it is less reactive. Alcohol groups are also fairly stable.
Original post by Beauty Queen
hi all sorry to drop in on your page. i am also trying to find some help with chem. can any1 help me with this Q

Calcium carbonate decomposes when heated:

CaCO3 (s) > CaO (s) + CO2 (g)

a) What mass of cacium oxide is produced from 150g of CaCO3
b) What volume of carbon dioxide is produced from 150g of CaCO3

IF I NOT WELCOME THANKS ANYWAY
sarah

what is the Mr of:
- CaCO3?
- CaO?

What volume does a mole of gas fill?

If you can answer those questions, you can work through the rest.
i realy dont know anything about chem im trying to help my brother his partner died 4 months ago and his dog got ran over yesterday morning he is going though hell and wants to give up on his access course. he only has 5 Q left so i am trying to get them done and handed in for him. he is a top guy please any help would be brill.
84g of CaO
36 liters of CO2
you are a nice guy gingerbreadman. thankyou. we need more people like you in the world. would you be able to help with the other Q or is that my lot. sarah
Original post by Beauty Queen
you are a nice guy gingerbreadman. thankyou. we need more people like you in the world. would you be able to help with the other Q or is that my lot. sarah

pm me
im new to tsr so i hope pm means post me if it does thank you. here is the questions i need answers to:

a) what mass of magnesium oxide is formed when 1.2gram of magnesium metal is burnt in excess oxygen?

b) what mass of magnesium chloride is formed when 5gram of magnesium oxide is dissolved in excess hydrochloric acid?

c) what volume of hydrogen chloride gass is produced when 40cm3 of chlorine reacts with hydrogen?

thank you again gingerbreadman. :smile:
2g
11.875g
80cm3
what can i say, you are a star. you have helped me and especially my brother. i have noticed that you have been helping others as well. you must be an angel. see you about gingerbreadman.

Quick Reply

Latest