The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blackpool.

Have you seen their illuminations? :wink:
Couldn't you just rebuild London? Seems like such a waste of space on a tiny island like this...
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Oh, sorry :colondollar: well I just assumed because London is so big, and obviously big population. But then I thought maybe size doesn't matter so much because Edinburgh isn't exactly big is it.

But I stuck with Birmingham regardless :p:

It's OK lol, I know what your like (Again, not in a bad way).
Original post by Kaykiie
Just throwing this in there, you know, to mix it up a little...

Blackpool?

:teehee:
Ew. :tongue:

Original post by Ocassus
Exeter :smile:, let's go down south :smile:
London is in the south of the united kingdom... every northerner makes that clear to me. fail :tongue:
Original post by Converse
It's OK lol, I know what your like (Again, not in a bad way).

Oh aye, and what am I like exactly? I'm intrigued as to how you read me.
Reply 125
Build it again?

Ok, umm Manchester probably
Manchester....its awesome....

or perhaps glasgow??....like the french govt during WWII in london....
Oh aye, and what am I like exactly? I'm intrigued as to how you read me.

No, it's just that, from what I've seen, you are pretty easily wound up.:colondollar:

It's cool though, you seem like a nice person:smile:
Reply 128
It'd probably be Brimingham (right between 'The North' and 'The South', but I think Edinburgh, Cardiff, or maybe Belfast should, because they are already the capital of their nations.
St Albans; we have the Mayfair spot on the Monopoly board, we're close to London and have good transport links with everywhere else.
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
Which one would be the best contender, in terms of everything really. Don't *just* choose by size.

either Manchester (i hope) or Birmingham (urgh)
CARDIFF!
Wales for the win :biggrin:
Liverpoool
Reply 133
I'd have thought Manchester or Birmingham.
Original post by Converse
No, it's just that, from what I've seen, you are pretty easily wound up.:colondollar:

It's cool though, you seem like a nice person:smile:

Nah that's true. I just have my guard up on TSR because there is quite a lot of mean people on here!
Nah that's true. I just have my guard up on TSR because there is quite a lot of mean people on here!

Well you don't need to have your guard up.. against me anyway:smile:
I'm Anonymous- btw
Reply 136
Original post by TWF
The only reason people seem to pick Manchester is because it's ''nicer''. And Leeds ahead of Birmingham? That takes the pee, can't take you seriously now.

No substance whatsoever, since even if you widen Manchester's boundaries, the population still wouldn't be as big as Birmingham's. Birmingham is 2nd city in everyway, it has greater GDP than Manchester, greater pupulation, greater size.... I don't base it on which city is nicer, but the fact of the matter.

Is B'ham's GDP greater than that of Greater Manchester?

If you want to compare Manchester to other cities, you have to use either Greater Manchester, or if not that then the Manchester Urban Area. I've already told you that the City of Manchester only refers to the central part of the urban area.

And as for Leeds, well, Leeds is the UK's biggest financial, business and legal centre outside of London.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Omg!Rly?
Didn't know LONDON was capital of BRITAIN

Well now you do.

London's still top dog even if you include other cities in Britain.
Original post by TWF
The only reason people seem to pick Manchester is because it's ''nicer''. And Leeds ahead of Birmingham? That takes the pee, can't take you seriously now.

No substance whatsoever, since even if you widen Manchester's boundaries, the population still wouldn't be as big as Birmingham's. Birmingham is 2nd city in everyway, it has greater GDP than Manchester, greater pupulation, greater size.... I don't base it on which city is nicer, but the fact of the matter.

But population and economic value do not determine where the capital goes. Canberra is not the largest or richest city in Australia, Brasilia is not the largest or richest city in Brazil, Washington is not the largest or richest city in USA - the list goes on.

The one thing all capital cities have in common is that politics happens there. For that reason Cardiff would be the most sensible choice because it has a large and modern political venue, not to mention it already has capital status.
Original post by WhereIsMyMind
Bristol. :smile:

AGREED!

Latest

Trending

Trending