The Student Room Group

Computer speakers- JBL vs Harmon Kardon vs Edifier

I am currently looking into purchasing some speakers for my laptop.
I plan on leaving them on the table so they don't have to be portable.
With a budget of around 100 quid I've narrowed it down to 3 sets
JBL Spot
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks iii
or
Edifier E3350

Has anyone with any experience of these sets or "in the know" able to suggest which one is best and why?
Also feel free to suggest others as long as they aren't too out of my price bracket
Cheers
Reply 1
Over 20 views and not one reply
Surely someone could help
Reply 2
I use the Soundsticks with my Macbook Pro and they sound pretty tight. I miss my 7.1 system though :frown:
Original post by vads92
I am currently looking into purchasing some speakers for my laptop.
I plan on leaving them on the table so they don't have to be portable.
With a budget of around 100 quid I've narrowed it down to 3 sets
JBL Spot
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks iii
or
Edifier E3350

Has anyone with any experience of these sets or "in the know" able to suggest which one is best and why?
Also feel free to suggest others as long as they aren't too out of my price bracket
Cheers

JBL are a part of the Harmon-Kardon group. Both manufacturers have a reputation for good quality, at least with their pro / PA and car audio. I have not heard of Edifier.

From comparing manufacturer specifications, the H-K specs go into more detail than the JBL, which suggests they have less to hide. The H-K has more powerful satelite speakers, which is important as sound quality is most noticeable in the mid and high range. I am only speculating on sound quality from vague specs. Have a look online for reviews, or better yet, audition a few sets in a shop.

Personally, I don't really like the sound of 2.1 systems. They usually have large, boomy subs to make up for tinny speakers. Looking on E-bay for a pair of used bookshelf speakers and amp would give you the best sound quality IMO.

If you do go for the 2.1 option, try placing the sub-woofer in different positions around the room as this will have a massive impact on sound quality.

Quick Reply

Latest