The Student Room Group

over emotional

I find it difficult to control my emotions. I'll be happy and having fun one minute then something will get me down and I become a drama queen. It's ruining my relationships and my life... as I know people are always going to do I say things that will hurt slightly, even when they don't mean them to.

Though I now think part of it my being over emotional may be me being scared about what I'd be like if I weren't, that I might become bored with myself. As when I'm happy I'm scared I may seem vulgar, and shallow maybe.

Does anyone have any advice, or similar experiences? I want to get myself out of this. Thanks.
Reply 1
Bi-polar?
Are you a female between the ages of 12 and 25?
If so, welcome to the bat**** insanity that we call womanhood.
your sensitive. awareness of your own sensitivity is a good sign your already on your way to working on it - patience, you'l adapt over time and establish a stonger character and learn to be less sensitive. btw. it's totally normal, everyone is sensitive on varying levels, some more than others.
Original post by StephenP91
Bi-polar?

Absolutely spot on! :-)
Reply 5
Original post by screenager2004
Are you a female between the ages of 12 and 25?
If so, welcome to the bat**** insanity that we call womanhood.

Haha yes. Good point. Though are women usually scared of being vulgar if they aren't emotional? I think that's my biggest problem.
Reply 6
Original post by StephenP91
Bi-polar?

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think simply labelling someone 'bi-polar' helps them work out their problems.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha yes. Good point. Though are women usually scared of being vulgar if they aren't emotional? I think that's my biggest problem.

No of course not, on the contrary, women are INCREDIBLY vulgar when they're emotional! Hence the subsequent embarrassment.

Last week I was having an argument about the tuition fee protest with two male housemates and burst into tears and fled the room about it. Retrospectively it's quite hilarious though, you just need to learn to be apologetic about it and down to earth. Keep your friends close, show them that you appreciate them so you don't risk alienating yourself!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think simply labelling someone 'bi-polar' helps them work out their problems.

It does. The first step to tackling a problem is to first identify the problem. Then you must seek help as no one should have to face it alone.
Reply 9
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
your sensitive. awareness of your own sensitivity is a good sign your already on your way to working on it - patience, you'l adapt over time and establish a stonger character and learn to be less sensitive. btw. it's totally normal, everyone is sensitive on varying levels, some more than others.

Thank you, that was helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending