The Student Room Group

Worried about rejection on medical grounds for Nursing.

Well, as the title says, I'm anxious about being rejected from the nursing course I've applied to due to my medical problems. I can't seem to find a list of any 'rejection factors' online anywhere.

I have M.E and it's not all /that/ common and I'm anxious that I might get rejected on the grounds of being unable to care for the people I see adequately.

I've been a part time carer before and I'm pretty certain I can handle the horrid times and long hours and patients hurling abuse at me, etc. But I'm worried I'll be immediately rejected for my condition?

Has anyone got any experience with this, or a nice big list (like they have on army websites :smile:) of what they wont accept?

Thanks in advance guys!
You'll be fine- people get on the course with worst conditions
Reply 2
Original post by Subcutaneous
You'll be fine- people get on the course with worst conditions

Not to sound rude, but how can you be so sure? I don't know what conditions your referring too but they've obviously got this health check in place for some reason.

: (
Original post by Mayden
Not to sound rude, but how can you be so sure? I don't know what conditions your referring too but they've obviously got this health check in place for some reason.

: (

Because i know a fair handful of nurses with ME, and the check is in place so they know what help you may need and if you have any problems in the future- and to screen just incase. ME is hardly serious, people are nurses with worst conditions
Reply 4
Because i know a fair handful of nurses with ME, and the check is in place so they know what help you may need and if you have any problems in the future- and to screen just incase. ME is hardly serious, people are nurses with worst conditions

'hardly serious'? Indeed, many cases are mild, but it can be very serious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1093016/Ive-seen-patients-paralysed-dying-Aids-victims-starving-children--Ive-seen-ill-Lynn.html
Reply 5

I appreciate what you're saying, but you're definitly off the mark with "ME is hardly serious"

ME is different for everyone, some barely effected, some bedbound and fed through tubes. Which is why I'm worried about the check, which side of the line will I fall on. If you know a fair handful, then maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it. But I struggle with college, so maybe they won't bother taking me on at University.
Reply 6
Original post by Mayden
I appreciate what you're saying, but you're definitly off the mark with "ME is hardly serious"

ME is different for everyone, some barely effected, some bedbound and fed through tubes. Which is why I'm worried about the check, which side of the line will I fall on. If you know a fair handful, then maybe I shouldn't worry too much about it. But I struggle with college, so maybe they won't bother taking me on at University.

Hi Mayden dont stress yourself out about the occupation health check.I know you have some concerns about being rejected but at the end of the day its upto both the university and the OH department to decide that.I have know a few friends myself who had different health problems some mild and others more severe and they still got into their chosen degrees.
Reply 7
Original post by wizardtop

Hi Mayden dont stress yourself out about the occupation health check.I know you have some concerns about being rejected but at the end of the day its upto both the university and the OH department to decide that.I have know a few friends myself who had different health problems some mild and others more severe and they still got into their chosen degrees.

Thanks a lot, I'll just go for it, I've always got my biomed to fall back on if I don't get onto nursing for the health reasons. : )
Reply 8
Original post by Mayden
Thanks a lot, I'll just go for it, I've always got my biomed to fall back on if I don't get onto nursing for the health reasons. : )

You welcome Mayden best of luck with it all.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest