The Student Room Group

State school Oxbridge applicants..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kroll
Lol I feel the same. The ASs have seen a brisk decline in my faith in teachers. To be honest we all worry about not working hard enough. I've spent whole days working and at the end thought, "I should have got more done, I could have done xyz more effectively/efficiently".. I think it generally works in your favour though, it teaches you self-motivation and self-reviewal. On the upside you're getting a few decent Oxbridge experiences.

glad to know I'm not alone! What ASs are you doing? and what are you applying for/thinking of? History's really stressing me out, we just have entire lessons of note-taking which are illegible at the end hah.
I am worried that only doing Oxford stuff will have an effect on applying to Cambridge, or is that a stupid worry?
I go to Richmond Upon Thames college. we send the most amount of students to university than any other establishment in Europe.

we have numbers of studentsgoing to oxbridge in the high 3-500's. record ever was 860 students to oxbridge. and ALL our IB crew go to oxbridge. A LOT of A Levelers do uni. who knows about BTEC. we havent seen those figures yet. they are still compilin
Original post by Sir Jonathan
I go to Richmond Upon Thames college. we send the most amount of students to university than any other establishment in Europe.

we have numbers of studentsgoing to oxbridge in the high 3-500's. record ever was 860 students to oxbridge. and ALL our IB crew go to oxbridge. A LOT of A Levelers do uni. who knows about BTEC. we havent seen those figures yet. they are still compilin

wat

oh wait, you're chatting ****.
Original post by dnumberwang
wat

oh wait, you're chatting ****.

No. it's actually true. high pass rates too. where do. you go?

I looked at your website, it says 13 went to Oxbridge in 2010 :|
Reply 45

:rofl:

You do realise that 3-500 is enough people to fill some Oxbridge colleges? :p:

I did the same thing as you though and checked their website... :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Was at a decent grammar school last year.

About 20 applied for Oxford, two got in for Music and Philosophy w/ German.

About 8 applied for Cambridge, only I got in for Natural Sciences.

A state grammar school in Manchester, last year 10 people went to Oxford, and slightly less to Cambridge
The year before that, 6 to Cambridge and 4 to Oxford
Reply 48
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
My school's syncophancy was rather annoying, tbh. The whole Oxford razzle-dazzle can be rather problematic at times. It really was pretty awkward when I was the only one to get in and things got more awkward on results day.

It's not called the Sutton Trust anymore: different funding. Try and find out about the UNIQ summer schools at Oxford (think that's how it's spelt) :yes:

Interesting, never though of it from that angle. A small price to pay no doubt? I don't think you should have put in a position where you ended up feeling slightly awkward about your achievement. And yes, its UNIQ, it'll be getting pressed in the enrichment officers face tomorrow.

Original post by tripleeagle
I'm studying in a West London school :smile: How can a college stop you from taking more than 3 AS-Levels when the national standard is 4?! Where I go you have to do at least 4 AS-Levels (+ Critical Thinking AS or Citizenship AS)? I think that puts you in a good situation though: because of your circumstances, Oxbridge can't look down on your for doing less than standard, but you get more time to work on those three!

So what are you studying?

How can they, good question. Tbh I'm thinking of leaving this place next year. I see what you're saying about it being an advantage but still, I'd like to take History as an intensive A level next year. I'd feel underqualified next to everyone else applying otherwise.

As for my subjects, I'm studying English Lit, Maths and Economics. I know History's a recommended subject for PPE applicants but I'm thinking I can get a better grade in English. Difficult choices... Have you picked any interesting ECs so far?
Reply 49
Original post by r_u_t_h
It's hard when there's no-one around you who knows what the application process is like and when you know more about it than your teachers, well that's when you know you're fighting a losing battle. I got an interview, however I don't feel I did myself justice in it, not knowing what exactly to expect/how to prepare, so it's just a case of waiting to find out now...

Agreed. Were your teachers willing but unable to be of much assistance? Is it the interview you're waiting for or the final verdict?

Original post by doloroushazy
glad to know I'm not alone! What ASs are you doing? and what are you applying for/thinking of? History's really stressing me out, we just have entire lessons of note-taking which are illegible at the end hah.
I am worried that only doing Oxford stuff will have an effect on applying to Cambridge, or is that a stupid worry?

Have to admit, I'm in no position to advise you on that one. Having said that I doubt it would have a negative effect on your cambridge application. I'd email/ring Cambridge admissions directly and ask. I mean if anything the Oxford stuff does suggest an enthusiasm (at the very least) for your subject and that can never be a bad thing can it?
Original post by Gryffindor
I go to state school and in my school hall there's about 5 boards full of names of Oxbridge students from my school... just sayin

it was a sarcastic comment retard
Reply 51
Original post by Kroll
What makes you say that? How have your exams been so far?

I've been getting As and borderline As in past papers and mocks, but ive never ever broken into the 90% mark and i can't see anything that i can do to improve on that, i keep working but nothing ever changes, plus my biology coursework went horribly. :frown:
Reply 52
Original post by Kroll
Agreed. Were your teachers willing but unable to be of much assistance? Is it the interview you're waiting for or the final verdict?

They didn't really know much about the process to start with but some tried to be helpful anyway, however I have to say, the guidance department didn't go out their way to try and learn anymore about it so therefore weren't really much use at all. Our school's careers advisor even said something to the effect of 'Why do you even want to go down south, what's wrong with the universities here in Scotland?' when I asked him about it.

I had my interview last week and am now just awaiting the final verdict...

Original post by Tortious
:rofl:

You do realise that 3-500 is enough people to fill some Oxbridge colleges? :p:

I did the same thing as you though and checked their website... :ninja:

you guys actually checked the website ?? maybe I should have done so too. I would have got the right info. wait. why would you take the time to look through the website?

Glad you looked that up! RuT is near me and whilst it's a ****-huge college, I was rather surprised to see such high figures :rofl:

Don't worry about that :nah:

Original post by Kroll
Interesting, never though of it from that angle. A small price to pay no doubt? I don't think you should have put in a position where you ended up feeling slightly awkward about your achievement. And yes, its UNIQ, it'll be getting pressed in the enrichment officers face tomorrow.

I guess it is a small price to pay in the long run, yeah. It was fine: I just told everyone that I only got in coz I'm Asian. Blatant lie but it lightened things up a bit :biggrin:

A few general things worth mentioning for everyone:

- Oxford and Cambridge are more interested in wider reading and directly relevant work experience, ECs and voluntary work. Obviously other unis may differ but don't start taking up the cello or whatever just for either of these two institutions!
- The tutors are experienced and can tell those who have had very solid preparation and been given lots of help with their application from those who can't. Having lots of preparation doesn't automatically put you at an advantage. They need to see (humanities esp.) that you can think for yourself and outside the box... and the latter especially is something that schools have little influence over.

If I think of anything more, I'll add it later. I should probs look like I'm actually doing some work :ninja:
Hi there! State school's 6th form here, hoping for a shot at Oxford Physics. Nice to see a thread like this. My school usually sends 0-1-2 per year to Oxbridge (more than likely from the IB student group) and 2 IB students got into Cambridge last year. My school focuses hard on raising its average standards and I feel that it doesn't really care about good students (let alone Oxbridge hopefuls). For example, there is no advice given in terms of preparation, raising a PS to Oxbridge standard, getting involved in extra-curricular activities in your subject or anything like that. The teachers never stretch someone beyond the school curriculum and act like the best they can do is give support for exams. In terms of preparation specific to Oxbridge requirements, our school is beyond ****. I overheard that once you get an (oxbridge) offer, you get pulled out of classes & get tutored so you get your A2 grades. No sign whatsoever of this kind of 'tutoring' for those who are applying or preparing for interviews. & Worst of it is, if I raise this concern, the teachers are likely to give me a scruffy UCAS reference, considering they are already in a 'give me a break' attitude.
Riiiiiighty. For my preparation, I'd have to read tons of old, traditional physics books and prepare very hard for the Physics Aptitude Test. My maths would have to be polished because even though I take Further Maths, the concepts are only introduced after Oxford interview dates. So overall, ALOT of self-teaching to come... ontop of aiming 95% UMS modules.
If your school's like that, you're not alone, trust me. :smile:
Original post by Kroll

Hey, how've you been getting on then? I can so relate to your enthusiasm / apprehension. And also to not really being able to talk about the whole considering Oxbridge thing. Pretty sure I'd run the risk of gettin laughed out of class..

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder if it would be such a bad idea to tell teachers/ peers, cos then I'd have to work double hard to live their expectations. In an environment where there's little to no encouragement I don't know if that'd be such a bad thing :tongue:

Not too bad thanks, motivation is such a problem at the minute though. It seems to decline as the term goes on.. and I have Maths and English modules in January which are really important!

I'm going to have to tell my history teacher about it, because then she'll know that I'm aiming for 90%+ and I need help! Other than that I think I'm ok though :smile: what do you think you'd like to apply for (sorry if you've already said, I haven't read through the whole thread!)

Same on the history front! What board/topics are you doing?
Original post by greengables
Same on the history front! What board/topics are you doing?

it seems it's always like that! Or else they'll get out a pritt stick and some cut-out-and-stick activities and act as if it's a massive treat hah.
We're doing British and European history, in British we're doing the 1500s so Henry VIII's divorce, dissolution of the monasteries etc etc
and European we're doing 1500s as well, abuses within the Church, Luther and protestantism, Calvinism and maybe Zwinglism? I'm not sure. I'm on AQA i think.

What about you? :smile:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Don't worry about that :nah:

A few general things worth mentioning for everyone:

- Oxford and Cambridge are more interested in wider reading and directly relevant work experience, ECs and voluntary work. Obviously other unis may differ but don't start taking up the cello or whatever just for either of these two institutions!
- The tutors are experienced and can tell those who have had very solid preparation and been given lots of help with their application from those who can't. Having lots of preparation doesn't automatically put you at an advantage. They need to see (humanities esp.) that you can think for yourself and outside the box... and the latter especially is something that schools have little influence over.

If I think of anything more, I'll add it later. I should probs look like I'm actually doing some work :ninja:

thank you! What sort of things would be good for experience and stuff for English, do you think? My teacher has mentioned entering writing competitions, submitting pieces to magazines and shtuff (i'm a dreadful writer though).

Quick Reply

Latest